Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Could Sasha be the best ever?

Custom Title

Could Sasha be the best ever?

the spins! the spirals! the spunk! the sparkle!

she commands your respect she is one of a kind i have never seen a skater so talented technically AND artistically. Some skaters are great technicians some great artists but what sets Sahsa apart is she is both! i dont think it is possible to feel neutral about Sasha people either lover her or loathe her but I have a feeling this will be her year to really breakthrough - with MK off the Grand Prix and the Grand Prix Final in the USA, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't lose a single competetion this year!!! No one I repeat NO one (with the exception of MK) is even remotely in her leauge.

Custom Title

Re: Could Sasha be the best ever?

Originally posted by Taan

I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't lose a single competetion this year!!!
    That would be quite a challenge. She's participating in about 10 competitions this year.

Custom Title
    hmmm. well, 'best ever' is highly debatible. she has yet to win a world or even national title many times and she is already 19... unless she's a really late peaker. i wouldn't call her technique first rate by any means. her jumps are not secure a lot still even when she lands them... now, kwan's jumps are the most secure and with perfect run-out and edging... the speed and flow is so effortless (at least she makes it appear that it is while sasha does not... she has low, shaky landings many times). i shall let the skater's record and popularity speak for itself. in time all answers of 'best ever' are revealed... whether that applies to kwan or cohen... after they have retired.

now she does have nice spirals and wonderful spinning ability. the extension is unparalleled...yes... but how does that related to the program as a whole? the line and positions are so good that it's breathtaking too. however, her choice of music leaves you cold...no original, stand-out, knock-out programs yet... and no memorable LP either to which kwan has numerous ones... except i did like her exhibition to 'romeo and juliet' and her short program of the season before the last one... but they were not the sort to capture your imagination and steal your heart... IMO.

Medalist

Her Best

Sasha's great. I love her "snap" or energetic programs. However, I hope for future, "great", skaters.

Custom Title

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Taan
    [B]the spins! the spirals! the spunk! the sparkle!

she commands your respect she is one of a kind i have never seen a skater so talented technically AND artistically.

yea, she would be even more talented if she could finally hit a solid routine with not one single glitch. not even her qualifying LP at worlds was 'perfect' even though she landed the jumps without falling. i'm still waiting for that perfect program... and hopefully this season will tell the tale. and i do hope that her ambitions are realized as she is a remarkable athlete.

Custom Title
    The best ever? No, she has yet to prove that. Incredibly talented and gifted? Yes. But, she has yet to put it all together in a complete package at a big event (Thinking Nationals and Worlds). Sasha is wonderful and I see all that makes her special, but Nicole Bobek was also something very special. Had she been able to skate to her potential, she would have been a legend. But she didn't. Sasha is at a critical point in her career. Will she fend off the demons at the top notch competitions like Nationals and Worlds? I'd like to see it but there are no certainties in this sport. You can have all of the talent in the world and still not quite get there. But, having said that, I think Sasha is progressing towards this goal instead of regressing. Campbell's was a big step forward for her (especially beating Michelle for the first time), but I feel that it is way too early to be pronouncing her the best ever. Among the best in the World? Definitely.

you're asking a question that really has no real answer

personally her skating does NOTHING for me... so IMHO no I don't think she's the "best ever"

now if we were talking Kurt Browning that'd be a different story it's all perspective and personal opinion...

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar

Originally posted by Taan

she commands your respect she is one of a kind i have never seen a skater so talented technically AND artistically.
    Err....then...maybe you should watch more...
    Last edited by shine; 10-19-2003 at 01:58 AM.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "i dont think it is possible to feel neutral about Sasha people either lover her or loathe her..."

Um, well I like to flatter myself that I'm neutral about her. Well, at least I was until I started visiting the boards 2 years ago. Yesh, if I do "loathe" her , I would have to say it's almost entirely because of the second-coming-of-the-lord type posts like this one.

Medalist
    "to be the best ever" Sasha has to show at worlds that she is (perhaps) the best and not only one time - several times. Until now she was not able to win one(!).
    And what is "the best ever"? At their times many skaters were the best, Sonja Henie, Peggy Fleming, Kathi Witt, Michelle Kwan (although she missed olympics) for example. I don´t like the comparison between skaters of different years.
    Alina

Rinkside
    Originally posted by alina

And what is "the best ever"? At their times many skaters were the best, Sonja Henie, Peggy Fleming, Kathi Witt, Michelle Kwan (although she missed olympics) for example. I don´t like the comparison between skaters of different years.
    Alina
    I agree. That's exactly the reason why the question if Sasha could be the best ever can't be answered. With her gift she could become the best female skater so far - if you define being the best by someone's proven artistry and technical performance and not by collecting titles as Henie, Fleming, Witt & Kwan have more than Sasha will probably ever get. But I can only speak for myself, she's not everybody's cup of tea.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I find this question a bit mind boggling.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that Sasha was not a beautiful and talented skater. And ... there is one quality that she has that is better than any I have seen ... her extension. She has some gorgeous moves as a result of that.
    I just can't figure out how anyone at this point could be speaking of her as the best ever. Her jump technique is far from perfect ... and she can't get through one single competition without a mistake or two. And she is not a 14 year old just breaking in to the skating scene. Nineteen is considered middle age for ladies skaters (I know ... this is sad) ... but it is true.
    To be the best ever, IMO , would mean you have the record to prove it. Now I totally understand that if you asked 10 different people who the best ever was ... you might get 10 different answers. But in reality ... without the record to back it up ... it would be hard to call someone the "best ever" if they had never won a National or World title. They might be your favorite ... but that's a different thing.

And as far as people not being neutral about Sasha ... that theory doesn't work with me. I like her ... and if I hadn't been a huge Michelle fan for so many years, I would probably have become a Sasha fan ... I like her style of skating.
    But ... I don't love her or hate her.

No. I don't believe anyone is the best ever. When she skates her 2nd Olympics, I will be in a much better mindset to judge her 'body of work' which is how one judges artists. (Is Meryl Streep the best ever actress? - Of course not, but her 'body of work' shows she is among the great actors.)

Let's see how Sasha does at the Olys and all those skates up to it. She may well have developed an excellent 'body of work' by then. There are many competitions between now and 2006. Personally, I think she can.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 10-19-2003 at 09:37 AM.

Originally posted by berthes ghost
    "i dont think it is possible to feel neutral about Sasha people either lover her or loathe her..."

Um, well I like to flatter myself that I'm neutral about her. Well, at least I was until I started visiting the boards 2 years ago. Yesh, if I do "loathe" her , I would have to say it's almost entirely because of the second-coming-of-the-lord type posts like this one.
    I know what you mean, Berthe's Ghost. But then, too, I like to see fans being enthusiastic about their favorites. I hope that everyone gets as big a thrill out of watching their favorite, whoever it may be, as I do. I think all this passion can only be good for the sport.

Sasha is a comer, no doubt about that. No one would be surprised if this is her year to put it all together and get that first world championship.

Mathman

Custom Title
    I'm "Gifted but Modest" (hint-hint) on FSU
    Ms. Tarasova,
    Welcome to the board. Could you tell us what your screen name, Taan, means? TIA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast