Patrick Chan News

Not sure if there's one...but here are latest articles:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...t+olympic+gold

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...rns+undeterred

Can't wait to see his programs!!!

GO PATRICK GO!

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Thank you for those useful links, jettasian. I read the 2nd article and wanted to quote and comment first, but then I decided to leave it to Plushy's fans. It's all theirs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Thank you for those useful links, jettasian. I read the 2nd article and wanted to quote and comment first, but then I decided to leave it to Plushy's fans. It's all theirs.
    sigh....

Has he learned nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    sigh....

Has he learned nothing?
    Learned what? Is it any different than Yu-Na saying she wasn't sure that anyone could beat her?
    Last edited by i love to skate; 11-19-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: grammar

sigh....

Has he learned nothing?
    Maybe I am too tired, worked the whole night on ICU, nearly 5 a.m. now here - but he didn't really say anything offensive, did he? And about the Quad - we'll see if it will be needed or not at the Olympics. He is entitled to his opinion. As long as he doesn't attack other skaters personally, I am okay with it.

Those childhood photos are too cute, by the way.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    sigh....
    Has he learned nothing?
    Nah, I think that's him being in mischievous mood. And not a word about Babou?! (or did I miss it).

Custom Title
    Offensive? No, I don't think he said anything offensive. Silly, unnecessary and uninsightful? Well, yeah. Truthfully, I dislike his comments here more than his comments last year, even with the personal attack.

i love to skate, no that's no different (In fact, Kim's comments are worse). That said, I wasn't aware of them and would like to see them sourced before I believe them, with all due respect (I thought it was Orser that said that, which bugs me less).

Offensive? No, I don't think he said anything offensive. Silly, unnecessary and uninsightful? Well, yeah. Truthfully, I dislike his comments here more than his comments last year, even with the personal attack.

i love to skate, no that's no different (In fact, Kim's comments are worse). That said, I wasn't aware of them and would like to see them sourced before I believe them, with all due respect (I thought it was Orser that said that, which bugs me less).
    When asked if anyone could beat her, Kim said, "I don't know. I don't know."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...omen-men_N.htm

Orser did say that she was unbeatable as well. IMO, that is a very bad thing for a coach to say.

ETA: I don't want this thread to head off topic so I'll bring the discussion back to Patrick. He was just expressing his opinion which he is free to do and he did have nice things to say about Plushenko.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 11-19-2009 at 11:01 PM.

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    This kid always speaks so much?

It was silly. I think it was disrespectful on his part.
    ... and I think same ... for Chan

If only "Chan's presentation" - the only one way of presentation's?

P.S: if there is some medals for propaganda, Kurt and Chan were already deserved

Custom Title
    Okay, no that doesn't bug me. Firstly, the entire quote is this...

"I don't know. I don't know. So far my conditioning is very great. I don't know about the other skaters. I don't think the other skaters are not ready for the season. I think they feel a lot of pressure because it's early in the season."

1. She does not say that the other skaters aren't ready. Unfortunately, double negatives make it hard to parse, but if you change "not ready" to "unprepared" it reads: "I don't think the other skaters are unprepared for this season.

2. She then goes to add on a corollary when she points out it's early in this season (ie, programs still being fine tuned, etc). Hell, her own words after the short were "I was so nervous" and Orser responded "I know you were." For whatever reason, she was nervous and she knows about pressure.

3. Thirdly, and most importantly, she'd said this after posting three world records (two at TEB, one at Skate America). To me, this is the most important thing. She said it on the ice. It bugged me with Joubert because Joubert simply didn't leave it on the ice. It bugs me about Chan now because he's saying things like "But I think, slowly, judges will realize that it's still pretty early in the season, and come the Olympics, it will be different." What will be different?

4. I don't know what one says when asked directly "Can you be beaten?" Kim's answer strikes me as fine. And I tend to give more leeway to anyone who's English is their second+ language.

5. I'm not questioning Chan's right to say what he wants. However, that won't stop me from questioning or challenging what he does say. I say this as a fan who would like nothing more than to see him on top of the podium*

*well, or Takahashi.

What exactly bothered you about his comments then? He said it was disrespectful for Plushenko to do the one finger pointing (many people would agree with that) but he also said he could understand why you would get carried away and do that. He also said that he welcomes him back and is glad that he is healthy.

His comment about the judges and it being early in the season? Perhaps it is because it was Plushenko's first competition back to the ice and he was given a lot of respect. By the time the Olympics come around the judges will have seen more intricate and polished programs.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the link! One thing I am certain. That is Chan is a front runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    After reading your this comment, I was a little nervous. But I didn't find anything that was as offensive as last year. He did acknowledge that it's Plushenko's hometown, people loved him. It seems reasonable to hold his finger up there.

About the quad, I laughed while I was reading the article. All I can think of is "I told ya." He won't have a quad this season, so he is trying to find some way to compensate to lacking of quad.

He has realized that having so many transitions is not necessary. So now he has reduced the transitions in his programs this year. Interesting.

Custom Title
    Not sure if there's one...but here are latest articles:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...t+olympic+gold

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...rns+undeterred

Can't wait to see his programs!!!

GO PATRICK GO!
    oh men, whoever wrote this crap about Plushenko screwing up for Chan, I don't believe he said all this, can't believe some people have so much poison. God please don’t forget this article! Amen!
    login just to say it.

Banned
    First of all, can people post Kim's fiasco back to her thread, not here? Thanks.

Patrick is being Patrick, he's entitled to say whatever he wants. So what, we can criticize about other skaters, but not him? Besides, I didn't see anything negatives about his comments.

I think the comments are fine. We want skaters to appear human and don't like it when they give generic packaged answers - yet we get upset with any deviation from that same package.

Though when Chan says "he doesn't think Plushenko realizes there are other skaters who have evolved since the Russian took a break" - well Plushenko has said in interviews he'll consider his comeback a "success" if he medals at Olympics. So I think he is very well aware of the increased competition there. Ev

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast