• Lu Chen

49 48.51%
  • Don't know

4 3.96%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kwan or Chen, 96 Worlds?

Rooting for the Kerrs!

Kwan or Chen, 96 Worlds?

This poll has probably been done before, but I'm interested to know how many people think Michelle should have won and how many people think Lulu should have won in the 1996 Worlds LP. It was very close between them and both gave a beautiful performance. Personally, I like both skaters but I would have given the gold to Michelle.

Michelle Kwan Fan
    Personally, I like both skaters but I would have given the gold to Michelle.
    I agree with you. :D

Rinkside

Re: Kwan or Chen, 96 Worlds?

Originally posted by icenut84
    Personally, I like both skaters but I would have given the gold to Michelle.
    I third that! Lulu's 1996 LP is my all-time favorite Lulu program, but I would also have given the gold to Michelle.

Custom Title
    I always love this one! I'm an ultra Kwan fan and thought "Salome" was absolutely wonderful, but Chen Lu gave the performance of a lifetime with "Rach". In my eyes, everything in that program was perfectly placed and executed. It would have been so close!

Chen Lu 5.8/6.0
    Michelle Kwan 5.9/5.9

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    What a question!!! LULU, OF COURSE, AND BY LIGHTYEARS!!! Sheer beauty, sheer passion against well calculated Disneyland-skating! No comparison at all!

Quite obvious - kwan only won because the comp was in North America ...

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 10-19-2003 at 05:24 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't think the location of the 1996 Worlds played any role in the outcome. Certainly, crowd reaction is a factor, but both Michelle and Chen received thunderous applause. I would say, as in most or all instances, that the decision greatly reflected the tastes of those on the judging panel. And, when disecting the panel, it can be seen that there is no obvious conspiracy or "bloc" issue here.

Michelle Kwan: SUI, AUT, BUL, POL, JPN, USA
    Chen Lu: BLR, FRA, HUN

Custom Title
    I always love it when this topic comes up. I am a huge Michelle fan. However, on that night in Edmonton I still think Lulu should have won. You could not pick out one thing wrong with the choreography - every jump, spin and piece of footwork was perfectly placed. (Thank you Sandra Bezic) The music was beautiful (Rach is always a great choice) and seamlessly edited. Lulu herself said 'I've never felt more beautiful on the ice' (from Sandra's book 'A Passion to Skate'). And she made it all seem effortless.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

You could not pick out one thing wrong with the choreography - every jump, spin and piece of footwork was perfectly placed. (Thank you Sandra Bezic) The music was beautiful (Rach is always a great choice) and seamlessly edited.
    You could easily say the same thing about Salome.

Custom Title
    I remember watching that night, and while the choice was certainly very close I would have given it to Lu Chen. I found her performance to be the more passionate and mature. Michelle Kwan was still very young then, and I think her more brilliant skates have come since then - I am a big fan of Kwan, by the way.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Oh, wow. Let's see if i can do this right...

I am a fan of Michelle Kwan.

I am a North American, USA as a matter of fact! (oh my!)

So, obviously, my choice would HAVE to be....

Lulu. Best I ever seen her. A class of her own, beyond compare. Period.

Kasey

Custom Title
    Too close to call since I wasn't there. Both were great. But from watching it on TV I probably would have given it to Lu Chen.

hiding in Sergej's backpack with Maksim Shabalin
    Lulu definetely! Anke, I agree with everything you said

Ice Angel
    At this competition I feel Lu Chen Won. She had the best program. Mechelle was still very young. She only focused on the jumps. Her in-between was low and choreography was not that exciting.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    I disagree. This is why I think Michelle deserved it:

The jump content was about equal:
    Michelle did one more triple, and all but one of her landings were perfect
    Lulu's second combination was harder than Michelle's (3flip-2toe vs 3toe-2toe), and she did an extra 2axel

The inbetweens and footwork were quite even too, I think, and both had great interpretation and choreography.

However, Michelle's spins were much better (position, balance, rotations), and she did a second flying spin.

Because of the equality of the other elements, I probably would have given it to Michelle based on the comparison of the spins and also I thought her programme was original and musical, and she put the jumps and other elements in thoughtful places.

Ice Angel
    From their current skating none of them is very good spinner, none of them can do all the traditional spins fast, such as scrach spins, camel, layback etc. But after watching their programs, Lulu's is still in my head until now. She interpreted the music very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast