Brian Joubert should NOT win the Olympics with his current LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert should NOT win the Olympics with his current LP

Jasper

Final Flight
Ohhh please don't make this a thread about Joubert vs Chan and who said the worst/most disrespectul/most arrogant thing. Both of these comments happened a long time ago and have nothing to do with the current season.

They do for Joubert. If you watched his tense jumping in Paris.

People can criticize me and the point of this thread all they want. They can even put me on ignore. I come from a more honest place than a lot of people here. What I write is not being printed, I am not a journalist, I get to speak my mind and not watch every little thing I say for tact. I find Joubert's skating so mediocre and his programs so dreadfully strung together that I would be upset if he won the Olympics. The same applies for Plushenko. But my problem isn't with them as people, as I don't know them or care to know them, but with the consistently unfair and inconsistent judging that keeps them up in the PCS when there is no merit. Well, we'll see what the judges do this season with Plushenko's slow skating and squat spins. :lol:

And as for the Joubert vs. Buttle and Chan debacle, I'm sorry, it shows a serious lack of respect on Brian's part for his competitors. Not often in professional tennis (which I follow avidly) does a player give such little credit to someone who beats him or her. The worst of the top players in the past decade have probably been bitter, sour-grapes Serena and Federer after some losses, but Joubert's comments are still worse.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Joubert can't jump....what is he good for? Quad? lol :chorus::chorus: People who still think he belongs on the podium, well....where are his jumps? He has none. How tiring it is that people still defend him calling him this great technical skater when he can't even jump. And people expected him to win TEB?? ...If he continues this streak we will be seeing Joubert battling for a 6th, 7th place spot in Vancouver.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What a difference between your opinion and the reality of what happened at Worlds last season.

And which Galaxy do you come from where every top skater skates clean at the Olympics. Remember Torino? Remember Worlds - pick your choice of years) :yes:

Poor, talentless Evan must have disappointed so many of you by simply having the cojones to perform under pressure - and on his home ice to boot.

Obviously consistency comes into play. That's not what I was talking about, though. I was only considering the raw potential of the perspective skaters. Remember, the original topic of discussion was who we wanted to see on the podium.

Evan is a great skater...it's not possible to be World Champion if you aren't great. Still, I don't find him especially interesting. I think every performance he gives is an exhibition of him trying as hard as he can to complete the elements and show himself off as exciting, rather than connecting to the music or displaying an engaging personality on the ice.

His speed and stroking is not the best and his edge jumps are quite low in quality.

What he does have is good spins, body line, confidence, and consistency.

His 2009 win is most disappointing because his programs were among his worst ever (his SP and LP from 2009, along with his LP from 2008, being his 3 worst programs ever). He didn't reach any particularly astounding artistic heights with his best LP, "Carmen", but at least it gave him more than 1 note. He displayed a bit of sensitivity with that program.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Joubert can't jump....what is he good for? Quad? lol :chorus::chorus: People who still think he belongs on the podium, well....where are his jumps? He has none. How tiring it is that people still defend him calling him this great technical skater when he can't even jump. And people expected him to win TEB?? ...If he continues this streak we will be seeing Joubert battling for a 6th, 7th place spot in Vancouver.

OM....KW is a mature adult who doesn't feed the trolls...Om... KW is a mature adult who doesn't feed the trolls...OM...

Jasper

Final Flight
I think every performance he gives is an exhibition of him trying as hard as he can to complete the elements and show himself off as exciting, rather than connecting to the music or displaying an engaging personality on the ice.

Yes. Under Carroll he has done basically the same exact straight line step sequence to every piece of music. I'm bored now. Only American fans who don't know better get excited by Evan.

My favorite program of his was his SP at '05 Worlds. And that's about it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Obviously consistency comes into play. That's not what I was talking about, though. I was only considering the raw potential of the perspective skaters. Remember, the original topic of discussion was who we wanted to see on the podium.

Evan is a great skater...it's not possible to be World Champion if you aren't great. Still, I don't find him especially interesting. I think every performance he gives is an exhibition of him trying as hard as he can to complete the elements and show himself off as exciting, rather than connecting to the music or displaying an engaging personality on the ice.

His speed and stroking is not the best and his edge jumps are quite low in quality.

What he does have is good spins, body line, confidence, and consistency.

His 2009 win is most disappointing because his programs were among his worst ever (his SP and LP from 2009, along with his LP from 2008, being his 3 worst programs ever). He didn't reach any particularly astounding artistic heights with his best LP, "Carmen", but at least it gave him more than 1 note. He displayed a bit of sensitivity with that program.

Thanks for such a clear and civil explanation.
I can agree with most of your points and like you, I have quite a few skaters I enjoy watching more than Evan. There are only a couple though that I respect more than Evan.

I enjoy watching Alissa but I would see no way to include her as one of today's most elite lady skaters, and therefore she would not be on my shortlsit of Ladies to medal in Vancouver.

I like many of the skaters on your list and if I missed your point I apologize. I think the most underated aspect in skating today is the abilty to perform well and consistently in competitions.

Any list of favorites I would make for the men to do well in Vancouver would include Evan simply because he has proven he can beat seemingly more talented skaters. But it is possible this season for Evan to skate close to his best and still find himself farther down the list at the Olympics. But the rise in competition also bring a big increase in the pressure. Somehow I doubt that many of these guys who have made careers of folding under pressure will suddenly skate with the poise and confidece of Evan. I could be wrong but
Evan gets dissed so much at GS I felt like showing the defending WC a bit of respect.
But I think you did a better job of it than I did.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Let's face it boys and girls. Brian Joubert should not win, he is quite weak in the jumping department as evidenced by his performances as of late. Brian is not as good as we think (Yes, Monsieur Gailhaguet, he most certainly is not). People give him way too much credit for his supposed masterful jumping abilities (again, quad?) , l'homme simply can't jump. Plain and simple. This is a men's competition. And he can't jump. At all. Now, let's stop all the nonsense about him being the best. Plushenko, h/e, is another story. Joubert's not even close to being in the same league as Monsieur Plushenko. Plushenko can jump, and actually lands quads once in a while.

Last edited:

Jasper

Final Flight
Lysacek is consistent and he does land, even if he must force it. He is a determined competitor. The biggest problem that could hinder his chances of even coming close to medalling in Vancouver is his tendency to be called for underrotations, especially on triple axels. He was lucky to not be called for some in his LA LP last season. Will he be as lucky off home ice? He really MUST skate lights out clean to make the Vancouver podium. One stepping out + one underrotation and he could be out of the picture.

katha

On the Ice
Yes. Under Carroll he has done basically the same exact straight line step sequence to every piece of music. I'm bored now. Only American fans who don't know better get excited by Evan.

For what it's worth, I'm not American and I love Lysacek's skating. Sure, he's no great artist but his enthusiasm and determination impress me a great deal. I think I will be happy for whoever gets Olympic medals because I feel there is something to admire in every single one of the men today. :)

More on topic, if Joubert lands his jumps and skates well, of course he should medal. IMO the LP this season is one of his better ones. People just shouldn't expect him to skate like Chan or Rippon etc., that's just not who he is. And he would look phony trying to pretend otherwise. I also think that he has better skating skills than many give him credit for, mostly because of the cheesy choreography, I admit. ;) But this LP could be a winner for him, it suits him.

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
I would love to see Verner, Oda, Lambiel on the podium, in any order. Wait... There is Abbott also! :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is it my ever-growing maturity or that I'm not overly invested in ANY skater for the first time I can remember or has the overall tone of GS shifted to one of hostility and anger whenever opposing fans square off?

Hey KW! In answer to your question, carry out the following steps:

1. In answer to your question re-read the title of this thread;
2. Substitue the name "Brian Joubert" with "Michelle Kwan";
3. Now imagine that it is October 1997 or October 2001.
4. Think about how you might have responded to a post like that

;)

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
People can criticize me and the point of this thread all they want. They can even put me on ignore. I come from a more honest place than a lot of people here. What I write is not being printed, I am not a journalist, I get to speak my mind and not watch every little thing I say for tact. I find Joubert's skating so mediocre and his programs so dreadfully strung together that I would be upset if he won the Olympics. The same applies for Plushenko. But my problem isn't with them as people, as I don't know them or care to know them, but with the consistently unfair and inconsistent judging that keeps them up in the PCS when there is no merit. Well, we'll see what the judges do this season with Plushenko's slow skating and squat spins. :lol:

Well some might think that you being "honest" is actually more that you are misinformed, and are prejudging skaters before they've set foot on the ice.

Everyone knows i'm not a fan of Pluschenko's skating, but he has yet to compete internationally so you can't be criticising him based on any reality, just on his past skating. Furthermore if you had actually watched any of the footage of his skating (i recommend seniorita or Plushyta if you are interested in getting links) you'd see that Plushenko has both a great sit spin and camel spin this season. Which surprised me!

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
You just earned a babushka doll as souvenir from me:biggrin:

This title of thread is pretty bad, who says Joubert should not win, it sounds too biased. He is not one of my favs but his program is pretty good and suits him well.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
You just earned a babushka doll as souvenir from me:biggrin:

This title of thread is pretty bad, who says Joubert should not win, it sounds too biased. He is not one of my favs but his program is pretty good and suits him well.

:rofl: I knew you'd find this thread if only to hold it against me...i'll keep tight lipped about how much i didn't like the SP but will wait to see how it goes this weekend ;)

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
yes you can say whatever you want once you see rostel, but you had made one promise some months ago, remember???the time has come:biggrin:

antmanb

Record Breaker
yes you can say whatever you want once you see rostel, but you had made one promise some months ago, remember???the time has come:biggrin:

Which promise was that? That i would keep my Pluscheko bashing to a minimum and give an honest appraisal of his programmes when he skates them in international competition?

Ant

Jasper

Final Flight
Well some might think that you being "honest" is actually more that you are misinformed, and are prejudging skaters before they've set foot on the ice.

Everyone knows i'm not a fan of Pluschenko's skating, but he has yet to compete internationally so you can't be criticising him based on any reality, just on his past skating. Furthermore if you had actually watched any of the footage of his skating (i recommend seniorita or Plushyta if you are interested in getting links) you'd see that Plushenko has both a great sit spin and camel spin this season. Which surprised me!

Ant

I HAVE seen him skate both his SP and LP this season, in that Russian event. So don't prejudge me. No I am not impressed by his spins at all. LOL.

shine

Record Breaker
I agree Joubert would be a worthy Olympic Champion.

I also like that he makes Evan look like such a complete skater. Watching Evan's spins and CoP point winning steps (you may not like them but the judges do) it is easy to see how much Joubert is missing. Plushy may show the same defiencies too but I never count him out.

Joubert brings a certain coolness to the ice and Evan brings intensity. It is a matter of choice which style one prefers.

Plushy at his best brings both coolness and intensity but will he have it back in time for Vancouver?
All those three guys you mentioned. They would make up the most horrid olympic podium ever. it would be an absolute nightmare.

janetfan

Match Penalty
All those three guys you mentioned. They would make up the most horrid olympic podium ever. it would be an absolute nightmare.

Well for your sake I hope there will be a different podium. :)

I have no idea who the Olympic medalists will be this early in the season.
Lambiel has a chance, so do Chan, Weir, Jeremy and so many others.
It will get down to several factors but consistency and the abilty to handle the pressure should not be underated.

But as a poster mentioned previously, I think skating will survive a podium not to any of our personal liking.

ae9177

On the Ice

From your mouth to the Skate God's ears. The three could very possibly land on the Olympic podium. ;)

Fans are all biased, admit it I hate any bashing, venom or evil wish towards any skater. They all work extremely hard to achieve their dreams, so whoever can deliver the best performances at the Olympics are the deserved winners.