Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Brian Joubert should NOT win the Olympics with his current LP

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I like your podium, Kitt, but I'd love Nobu on there too.

This is definitely Brian's most artistic program and I think it fits him. It shows him off to advantage. Watching him at TEB, I thought he looked stressed out of his mind and I felt sorry for him. I hope he can chill out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I like your podium, Kitt, but I'd love Nobu on there too.

This is definitely Brian's most artistic program and I think it fits him. It shows him off to advantage. Watching him at TEB, I thought he looked stressed out of his mind and I felt sorry for him. I hope he can chill out a bit.

I thought Joubert's program shows potential and if skated cleanly will land him on the podium.

But I have to wonder - if he was "stressed out of his mind" at a GP event how will he come close to coping with Olympic pressure?

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Well, I really wonder ... Heaven & Hell must meat each other fooling everyone (including the judges!) to make poor amateur Lysacek, of all!!!, look like an "artist" ... or whatever ... :banging: :banging:
    Last edited by Germanice; 10-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I hope the Olympic podium has Weir, Takahashi, and Lambiel, in any order.
    This would be a very good podium.

It's a very deep field, though. There are a dozen guys who deserve to be on the podium if they skate their best. In addition to your picks we have:

Abbott
    Ponsero
    Kozuka
    Oda
    Joubert
    Plushenko
    Chan
    Verner
    Contesti

Imagine if Buttle was still competing.

Our most recent World Champion is notably missing from the list. If every man in the World skated their best (I'm assuming this means no Quad for Lysacek since he doesn't seem to have the jump anymore), he wouldn't even crack the top 12 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Considering how disrespectful Joubert has been to his other competitors the past two years, I don't care if this thread title sounds mean or harsh.
    mmmm...Patrick??

Ohhh please don't make this a thread about Joubert vs Chan and who said the worst/most disrespectul/most arrogant thing. Both of these comments happened a long time ago and have nothing to do with the current season.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    But I have to wonder - if he was "stressed out of his mind" at a GP event how will he come close to coping with Olympic pressure?
    Brian has said that he gets really nervous competing in France so I'm hoping that's what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    This would be a very good podium.

It's a very deep field, though. There are a dozen guys who deserve to be on the podium if they skate their best. In addition to your picks we have:

Abbott
    Ponsero
    Kozuka
    Oda
    Joubert
    Plushenko
    Chan
    Verner
    Contesti

Imagine if Buttle was still competing.

Our most recent World Champion is notably missing from the list. If every man in the World skated their best (I'm assuming this means no Quad for Lysacek since he doesn't seem to have the jump anymore), he wouldn't even crack the top 12 for me.
    What a difference between your opinion and the reality of what happened at Worlds last season.

And which Galaxy do you come from where every top skater skates clean at the Olympics. Remember Torino? Remember Worlds - pick your choice of years)

Poor, talentless Evan must have disappointed so many of you by simply having the cojones to perform under pressure - and on his home ice to boot.

How silly to hear that Joubert can't take the pressure of skating in Paris at a GP event and then all this talk about him winning the OGM. Get a grip Jouby - you have been doing this for a long, long time and you are running out of excuses already, ( I hope that pesky Chan didn't jinx the rink bully by putting him in his place )

I happen to like Joubert, but like many big jumpers he lives and dies with the quad.
    I agree the men's field is packed and hard to predict. I am not particularly a fan of Evan's skating but I doubt if any of the skaters out there will outwork him and if he skates two clean programs like he did at Worlds I suspect he will be a top 5 finisher or better.

If not, he can retire from competitive skating with something many on that list of yours never had - a WC.

Good luck to all the skaters this season and welcome back Plushy. Hope he skates well this weekend. Someone let him know the new kid landing all the big jumps spells his name M.R.O.Z.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-20-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Shoe Diva
    Is it my ever-growing maturity or that I'm not overly invested in ANY skater for the first time I can remember or has the overall tone of GS shifted to one of hostility and anger whenever opposing fans square off?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Is it my ever-growing maturity or that I'm not overly invested in ANY skater for the first time I can remember or has the overall tone of GS shifted to one of hostility and anger whenever opposing fans square off?
    I wouldn't say it's the overall tone but a couple threads have escalated forsure. I think the majority of this surrounds debates between a couple skaters. I think people are overly tense for this Olympic year and that we all need to take a deep breath

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Ohhh please don't make this a thread about Joubert vs Chan and who said the worst/most disrespectul/most arrogant thing. Both of these comments happened a long time ago and have nothing to do with the current season.
    They do for Joubert. If you watched his tense jumping in Paris.

People can criticize me and the point of this thread all they want. They can even put me on ignore. I come from a more honest place than a lot of people here. What I write is not being printed, I am not a journalist, I get to speak my mind and not watch every little thing I say for tact. I find Joubert's skating so mediocre and his programs so dreadfully strung together that I would be upset if he won the Olympics. The same applies for Plushenko. But my problem isn't with them as people, as I don't know them or care to know them, but with the consistently unfair and inconsistent judging that keeps them up in the PCS when there is no merit. Well, we'll see what the judges do this season with Plushenko's slow skating and squat spins. :lol:

And as for the Joubert vs. Buttle and Chan debacle, I'm sorry, it shows a serious lack of respect on Brian's part for his competitors. Not often in professional tennis (which I follow avidly) does a player give such little credit to someone who beats him or her. The worst of the top players in the past decade have probably been bitter, sour-grapes Serena and Federer after some losses, but Joubert's comments are still worse.

Custom Title
    Joubert can't jump....what is he good for? Quad? lol :chorus::chorus: People who still think he belongs on the podium, well....where are his jumps? He has none. How tiring it is that people still defend him calling him this great technical skater when he can't even jump. And people expected him to win TEB?? ...If he continues this streak we will be seeing Joubert battling for a 6th, 7th place spot in Vancouver.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    What a difference between your opinion and the reality of what happened at Worlds last season.

And which Galaxy do you come from where every top skater skates clean at the Olympics. Remember Torino? Remember Worlds - pick your choice of years)

Poor, talentless Evan must have disappointed so many of you by simply having the cojones to perform under pressure - and on his home ice to boot.
    Obviously consistency comes into play. That's not what I was talking about, though. I was only considering the raw potential of the perspective skaters. Remember, the original topic of discussion was who we wanted to see on the podium.

Evan is a great skater...it's not possible to be World Champion if you aren't great. Still, I don't find him especially interesting. I think every performance he gives is an exhibition of him trying as hard as he can to complete the elements and show himself off as exciting, rather than connecting to the music or displaying an engaging personality on the ice.

His speed and stroking is not the best and his edge jumps are quite low in quality.

What he does have is good spins, body line, confidence, and consistency.

His 2009 win is most disappointing because his programs were among his worst ever (his SP and LP from 2009, along with his LP from 2008, being his 3 worst programs ever). He didn't reach any particularly astounding artistic heights with his best LP, "Carmen", but at least it gave him more than 1 note. He displayed a bit of sensitivity with that program.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Joubert can't jump....what is he good for? Quad? lol :chorus::chorus: People who still think he belongs on the podium, well....where are his jumps? He has none. How tiring it is that people still defend him calling him this great technical skater when he can't even jump. And people expected him to win TEB?? ...If he continues this streak we will be seeing Joubert battling for a 6th, 7th place spot in Vancouver.
    OM....KW is a mature adult who doesn't feed the trolls...Om... KW is a mature adult who doesn't feed the trolls...OM...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I think every performance he gives is an exhibition of him trying as hard as he can to complete the elements and show himself off as exciting, rather than connecting to the music or displaying an engaging personality on the ice.
    Yes. Under Carroll he has done basically the same exact straight line step sequence to every piece of music. I'm bored now. Only American fans who don't know better get excited by Evan.

My favorite program of his was his SP at '05 Worlds. And that's about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast