Continued Assault on the Ears | Golden Skate

Continued Assault on the Ears

psbfan01

Rinkside
I think you all know who I'm talking about. The elfin, nasal-voiced commentator who shrieks constantly. Is he trying to make the sport more exciting? It's not working, it's backfiring. It's annoying! He was worse than ever this afternoon. This person has also remarked that the salchow is the easist jump....nevermind the great skater Yamaguchi has called the (triple) salchow her nemesis. The toe loop is the easiet of the jumps, IMO.

meem

On the Ice
I actually had to hit the mute button 2 minutes after he began his commentary. Maybe it's because I haven't had to endure the screeches, screams, inane comments, for the past 7 months? He's a nice guy, great athlete, but NBC surely can hire someone with a better TV presentation to do commentary (you know they have received negative emails over the years since he began working for them!!) He wasn't as bad during the ladies' event (well, not as screechy nor as loud). I still plan to send a letter to Dick Ebersole (don't trust a email to reach him), to ask why they've kept him on year after torturous year.

Kypma

Final Flight
go ahead and say the name, it's not that hard ;)

That would be great... I tend to not really follow broadcasts other than, since last year, CBC/Skate Canada's coverage (and didn't really follow things closely other than results in previous years... maybe the odd youTube video or CTV/TSN on a good day), so a name would really help here :yes: ;)

-Kypma

Penny

On the Ice
I am starting to hate him. "Yu-na has no flaws"--Really? What about her bad leg position on layback and slightly bent knee on spiral? I don't care how low or high you lift your leg in arabesque, just straighten it out. And now she knows she can throw away at least one jump and still win. Don't get me wrong, I adore Yu-na, consider her the best female jumper ever, and love her 2009-2010 programs. But keep it real.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I am starting to hate him. "Yu-na has no flaws"--Really? What about her bad leg position on layback and slightly bent knee on spiral? I don't care how low or high you lift your leg in arabesque, just straighten it out. And now she knows she can throw away at least one jump and still win. Don't get me wrong, I adore Yu-na, consider her the best female jumper ever, and love her 2009-2010 programs. But keep it real.

Well, he also said that Oksana Baiul had "no weaknesses" in her skating....so yeah, big grain of salt.

merrybari

Final Flight
I never got the chance to suffer through Scotty's screeching insanity, my local NBC affiliates aired infomercials instead of TEB on Sunday. :scowl:

I had the same problem - except mine was the Dew Tour (skateboarding???). I'd've have liked to get anything! but that said, I like Scott's enthusiasm and excitement when he comments anyway.

KayMil01

On the Ice
His voice really annoys me, he's enthusiastic, yes...but he NEEDS to stop making that grunting noise (uurrrrggghhh) when a skater jumps - why?!?!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Same here. I have to get out of my sofa and shake the T.V. Every fans, and even casual viewal can tell Yuna is good, but there is no needs to butter up the whole 4 minutes of routine. :yes:

God. Maybe they should put a limit to how many words and sentences they can comment on each program. :sheesh:

merrybari

Final Flight
Not having seen TEB with commentary I can't say much about it. However, I must say I do think less is more when doing so!

Jasper

Final Flight

I agree. I also adore Yu Na. I also want him to keep it real. She doesn't include the loop in her programs and her spiral is improved but not at all at the level of Cohen, Asada, Czisny, Kostner, and many others. Her spin positions too. She's not the most flexible out there. But when it comes to speed, skating skills, ice coverage, overall jumping ability, and presentation, yes you can praise that.

Dick Button would keep it real. We need his objectivity back!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dick Button keeps it real about as much as Scott does... he's still stuck on Kwan... it's time for him to quit comparing every woman to her. she's not competing... they aren't going up against her. who cares if they don't look like her.

skfan

Final Flight

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just tried to go there and it isn't there because of a copyright claim from US figure skating thing.

fairly4

Medalist
TONi michelle
i agree to a point, but if they (us skaters) want close to what she had-they have to fight for it, keep the technical clean as possible-- and no cheating from the judges whatso ever.
It is hard-but so far no us skater has come close on or off the ice.
since she been in so long-it is hard not to imagine the us skaters out there doing something from her programs. i see bits and pieces of michelle in yu-na program with oskana's thrown in, i see bit and pieces of michelle in joannie program--no-they don't skate like her-but you can tell by their skating what kind of impact she had with them.
I saw it in caroline zhang attitude a year ago, 2007-2008 --but not much now.
i saw a bit of michelle in mao's program. now i am seeing more shizuka in her style of skating.
it is the style of skating somewhat like michelle that us skaters are missing. not to skate like her exactly but her style incorporated in their own style-like yu-na and joannie (which surprised me by the way).maybe choice of music helps but the interpretation is somewhat like michelles but in their own way (style0)