Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NBC Sunday Broadcast of TEB (i.e. Men & Ladies)

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    I don't mind his shrieking either. I even find it very hilarious sometimes.
    But I couldn't really hear music today.... I had to listen very carefully.
    I think a lot of it could be fixed if the audio tech turned Scott's mic down. it's not that hard to fix levels so everyone matches and ALL commentators should be kept at a level where you can hear the music more than the innane talking.

Custom Title
    Lol, Scott can definitely get on one's nerves, even mine, this coming from a fan of his.

To tell the truth, I honestly prefer icenetwork's coverage, no commentary whatsoever, the viewer can evaluate the performance on his/her own merit, without the influence of the commentator(s). But one must be a knowledgeable skating fan to do this, otherwise the uninformed viewer doesn't understand a thing that's going on in terms of jumps, et al. Maybe we just need a robot/humanoid to take over commentary so no bias comes into play.

Now I'd love to indulge a favorite passion of mine, Mao.

If she sticks to the same jump layout as last year, as she said she would, that would leave her with only 6 triple jumps, no 3/3 combos. whatsoever. The most scoring potential she could earn from this (adding in a perfect SP with the 3A-2T; same as she did at 2009 WTT) would be 201.87, the same PB she earned at 2009 WTT. Both her SP & LP were skated error-free (not counting the one UR call she got on her second 3A).

Like I've said in the past, Mao's PB 133.13 LP score came at 2007 Worlds with 7 triple jumps, which included only one 3A & one 3/3 combo. Her second PB score of 132.31 came at 2008 4CC, wherein she skated another 7-triple jump program, which included only one 3A & two 3/3 combos. So if one were to add her PB SP score of 75.84 (which included a 3A-2T, 3F, 2A) at 2009 WTT, added to her PB LP score of 133.13 at 2007 Worlds (which included 7 triple jumps; only one 3A & one 3/3 combo.) that would = 208.97

This tells me that Mao has to go for a 7-triple program, not just 6 like she's doing now, in order to maximize her overall scoring potential. And this 7-triple program must include one 3/3 combo. Otherwise the most she can score with her current 6-triple program would be 126.03, that's not nearly enough to hit a home run. Even if she hit all her jumps in both the SP & LP she could only earn 201.87overall with her current 6-triple jump layout. So one of those 3F-2R has to be turned into a 3F-3R. GO FOR A 7-TRIPLE PROGRAM, MAO, WITH ONE 3/3 COMBO. & OF COURSE THE TWO 3A!

On a purely aesthetic note concerning Mao herself & her Victorian costumes with the choker & ruffles, it honestly brings to mind Marie Antoinette of France, whom became a Princess at the age of 14, but didn't become a Queen until the age of 19, that is when she ascended the Throne.

Not only does Mao Asada share the same initials as Marie Antoinette, but she also shares the same 18th century style, as evidenced in these pictures:

http://me.johannaost.com/18thcentury....thumbnail.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonfaires16/3181399958/

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20091017/i/r796528693.jpg

This all has me wondering if Tatiana Tarasova is channeling Marie Antoinette...

Custom Title
    First a question. Did anyone else notice that the audio on the first two skaters was bad? I could barely hear the music. When Voronov came on it got better.

The commentary had to be done on tape. Andrea Joyce is on both the NBC and the Universal broadcasts. NBC had Scott Hamilton and Universal had Peter Carruthers. I always start forgiving Scott when I hear Peter. Poor Andrea. Her head must be spinning after doing the men's free skate at least twice.

The audio on both NBC and Universal needs improvement.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    It is bad that they did not even show Carolina Kostner or Elene G. from the first group. No ice dance....and please, please get Scott of the air. He says the same 3 lines over and over and shrieks whenever anybody leaves the ice.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    First a question. Did anyone else notice that the audio on the first two skaters was bad? I could barely hear the music. When Voronov came on it got better.

The commentary had to be done on tape. Andrea Joyce is on both the NBC and the Universal broadcasts. NBC had Scott Hamilton and Universal had Peter Carruthers. I always start forgiving Scott when I hear Peter. Poor Andrea. Her head must be spinning after doing the men's free skate at least twice.

The audio on both NBC and Universal needs improvement.
    I did notice the sound was kind of low (either the commentators' mic needed to be turned down, or the background music up) but I think it was an issue of the tape, since their past telecasts have not had this problem.

But the Ice Network audio kept crackling- I'll take low sound any day over the constant dropouts on IN. The problem might have originated with whatever feed the USFS picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    To tell the truth, I honestly prefer icenetwork's coverage, no commentary whatsoever, the viewer can evaluate the performance on his/her own merit, without the influence of the commentator(s). But one must be a knowledgeable skating fan to do this, otherwise the uninformed viewer doesn't understand a thing that's going on in terms of jumps, et al. Maybe we just need a robot/humanoid to take over commentary so no bias comes into play.
    and that's exactly why networks have commentators. not everyone knows what's going on or what to look for. NBC is notoriously US biased. Can't really blame them they are the NATIONAL broacasting Channel... they were biased well before Scott joined the team... and I still stand by my opinion that his tone matches those around him. I don't recall him being as 'grumpy old man' on CBS.

but yeah it can get annoying. I didn't see today's broadcast so I don't know if he has gotten worse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    The more you want to shut up his mouth, the louder he will speak
    Yea, I love him, too! I don't think he should shut up. lol He's just so fun to listen to!

Custom Title
    People like Scott and Dick are part of the fun!

Custom Title
    I fall into the not-Scott camp. I don't dislike him, I just wish he would allow me to hear the music for more of the performance. I understand his enthusiasm is aimed at drawing in casual fans but it can be a bit much. He tends to be under more control when he's paired with the right color commentator. For my money that was Vern Lundquist back in the 90's.

I honestly think part of the issue is not him at all, but NBC mandates to dumb down commentary. Their skating coverage has always lacked as much substance as other networks, in my opinion, to focus on a broader audience. Sandra Bezic has alluded to this in interviews. There is a distinct difference in Scott's commentary since he's been on NBC compared to his CBS days. Sandra has also been far more substantive in her commentary in Canada than on US tv.

On a side note, he's actually been calling skating since the 85 Euros and Worlds when they were on CBS (see youtube). As annoying as he can be at times now, at least his voice is deeper. He was really squeaky back then and even more excitable.

Tripping on the Podium
    Who's this David Peltier guy doing the interviews?

With his free hand stuck in his pocket and using casual expressions like "congrats", he looks and sounds like a guy trying to pick up a chic at a bar rather than a journalist conducting an interview.

Is he some kind of a political/financial pundit who is dissatisfied with his assignment at a figure skating competition?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine
    Rippon I LOL when I heard Scott Hamilton say that Adam wants to call his 3L the "Rippon Lutz" due to the fact that he does it with *both* hands over his head.
    Why not?? It was fabulous!

Asada ~ very good comeback by Mao! Not soup yet, gradually getting there one-by-one, has improved from Japan Open, but more importantly it was good for her psyche to recover from the disastrous start to her SP on Friday. What I love about this program is that THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO REST STOPS!!!!!!!! Seriously, 99% of skaters take little rest stops here & there, either to breathe/catch their breath after a spin(s), or to shake their booty & flirt with the judges. Not Mao, not Mao, she literally does a full out sprint from beginning to end, her legs don't rest once, ask any skater & they will tell you that takes incredible athleticism! Her legs must have been burning at the end, especially after that incredible complex fast step sequence. That is what I call an athlete, combined with her tall supple body with beautiful posture & super fast speed, all which makes for a Queen (& Tatiana Tarasova outfits her as such, reminiscent of a young Marie Antoinette when she first ascended the throne at age 19 in 1774). When Mao lands all her jumps, this will be a masterpiece... I bow to Tatiana's genius.
    Oh Nadine. I love your take on Mao and have more confidence in her ability to skate this program than most. But Marie Antoinette is the wrong analogy!!!

Nakano ~ nothing more I can say, perfect music & choreography, et al, for the perfect powerful FIREBIRD skater! Those spins are out of this world, Yukari! WOW!!!!!!!!
    Yes, it's a perfect program for her and she deserves a lot of encouragement. I also thought the editing of the music was very effective. Watching it I thought, Ths is the best skating music in the whole world. Joannie Rochette did a great one too, but Yukari's may be even better.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by skate4ever View Post
    Who's this David Peltier guy doing the interviews?

With his free hand stuck in his pocket and using casual expressions like "congrats", he looks and sounds like a guy trying to pick up a chic at a bar rather than a journalist conducting an interview.

Is he some kind of a political/financial pundit who is dissatisfied with his assignment at a figure skating competition?
    He has done NBC coverage before- he's the male partner of the 2002 OGM-winning Canadian pair Sale/Pelletier.

I thought he did fine. In fact, considering NBC didn't do any interviews at Worlds, I was surprised that they even bothered to send someone to France for the GP coverage.

Custom Title
    I honestly think part of the issue is not him at all, but NBC mandates to dumb down commentary
    If this is truly NBC's policy they couldn't have picked a better color commentator than Peter Carruthers for Universal coverage. Peter always makes me feel like I'm a four-year-old and he has to explain things to me very carefully. I don't think he knows terms like "technique", "wrap", or "twizzle".

Down With It
    Well, I remember during the Olympics, I was watching some of their diving coverage and the female commentator was really good. She explained things in a way that I (as a casual viewer) could understand, and as a result, I could follow the action closely.

I also watched some of Universal's online gymnastics coverage and the British (BBC?) commentators were good as well, although they did cheerlead at times.

I think they might be afraid that a highly technical, but well explained, commentary might confuse viewers and cause them to tune out. Not sure if that's the way to go, but NBC appears to be THE figure skating network in the US, at least for the next four years.

(But, it seemed that it was either them or nobody at all, so in that case, I don't mind)

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Well, I remember during the Olympics, I was watching some of their diving coverage and the female commentator was really good. She explained things in a way that I (as a casual viewer) could understand, and as a result, I could follow the action closely.
    I like that diving commentator too, the one with a slightly Southern accent. But is she a color commentator? She always provides the technical detail. I think she's the main one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast