NBC Sunday Broadcast of TEB (i.e. Men & Ladies) | Golden Skate

NBC Sunday Broadcast of TEB (i.e. Men & Ladies)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just got through watching this on NBC (got over at 12PM PST).

Here are my thoughts:

MEN

Oda rules!!!!!:love: I recall seeing his face once before at Worlds last year, and he impressed me a bit then, but nothing like today. Everything was perfect ~ program, personality, magnificent jumps, et al ~ his coach/choreographer/et al found the perfect vehicle in which to present Oda. Charlie Chaplin is Oda. :rock:

Rippon ~ he reminds me a lot of Tim Goebel with his high shoulders, wish he would lower them a bit, otherwise not bad, not bad at all. :) I LOL when I heard Scott Hamilton say that Adam wants to call his 3L the "Rippon Lutz" :biggrin: due to the fact that he does it with *both* hands over his head.

Sorry, no thoughts really on the rest of the men, thought the results were spot on.

LADIES

Zhang ~ watched this live on icenetwork the other day (btw my IN reception in terms of quality of picture is just as great as my HD television one; really not that much difference at all, so glad I have an automatic subscription renewal to IN). Back to Caroline, my feelings are exactly the same as yesterday, she's exquisite. Just needs to fix the technique on her jumps & also her SPEED. If she can fix these to a passable level by Nationals, continued with her strong mental toughness & land the jumps, then she belongs on the Team.:cool:

Gilles ~ great senior debut on the international scene by Alexe! Just needs to continue to improve on landing her jumps (her technique & speed are good, no problems there, but could always do with improvement & being better). And the Eggbeater I Spin at the end has got to go, doesn't look good at all IMHO. Other than that, very good, the future of the US Ladies doesn't look as dismal. :)

Asada ~ very good comeback by Mao! Not soup yet, gradually getting there one-by-one, has improved from Japan Open, but more importantly it was good for her psyche to recover from the disastrous start to her SP on Friday. What I love about this program is that THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO REST STOPS!!!!!!!! :bow: Seriously, 99% of skaters take little rest stops here & there, either to breathe/catch their breath after a spin(s), or to shake their booty & flirt with the judges. Not Mao, not Mao, she literally does a full out sprint from beginning to end, her legs don't rest once, ask any skater & they will tell you that takes incredible athleticism! Her legs must have been burning at the end, especially after that incredible complex fast step sequence. That is what I call an athlete, combined with her tall supple body with beautiful posture & super fast speed, all which makes for a Queen (& Tatiana Tarasova outfits her as such, reminiscent of a young Marie Antoinette when she first ascended the throne at age 19 in 1774). :love: When Mao lands all her jumps, this will be a masterpiece... I bow to Tatiana's genius.:bow:

Nakano ~ nothing more I can say, perfect music & choreography, et al, for the perfect powerful FIREBIRD skater! Those spins are out of this world, Yukari! WOW!!!!!!!!:clap:

Kim ~ Yuna didn't even have to skate clean, as she built up such a huge lead in the SP (deservedly so btw), that she could've just taken it easy & did doubles with a few triples thrown in, but she didn't. She skated like the World Champion she is, with the requisite triples thrown in for good measure. Easy win, well deserved. All the other ladies have their work cut out for them due to the high bar Yuna has set!!!!!!!:rock:

THANKS TO ALL THE SKATERS FOR TAKING PART IN TEB & GIVING US SKATING FANS A TERRIFIC START TO THE OLYMPIC SEASON!!!!!:clap::love::thumbsup:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Nice job by NBC bothering to show the GP events. HOWEVER, please can someone shut up Scott Hamilton!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Nice job by NBC bothering to show the GP events. HOWEVER, please can someone shut up Scott Hamilton!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

"His next jump, quadruple salch-OWWAHAHAHAHAH.
A little short on rotation."

" Now triple ax-ELLHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Nicely done."

:rofl:

I like Scott Hamilton's shrieking. He really gets into it! :rock:

I think they were commenting from the tape, though, rather than having been taped live. It seemed like Scott already knew which jumps the skaters would mess up on, etc.

I thought Yukari Nakano's costume was great. The sleeves were cool. She looked sort of like ..um...a bird on fire? ;)

Also, I think Nakano's leg wrap looks better in pants.

I hate to say it, but looking at the difference between Nakano's performance and Caroline Zhang's, it really emphasized how far Caroline still has to go in terms of getting the audience into her performances.

Oda ruled, this time out! :clap:

"His next jump, quadruple salch-OWWAHAHAHAHAH.
A little short on rotation."

" Now triple ax-ELLHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Nicely done."

:rofl:

Sorry for the double post, but I had to respond to that one. :)

Scott is at his best when he is trying to encourage the skaters down at the bottom of the rankings.

"Well, she had a disasterous short program, but now in the long if she can just land this triple toe-looo -- AWWWWWW. Now here she goes for her double Ax...AWWWWWWWWW."

Last edited by a moderator:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Sorry for the double post, but I had to respond to that one. :)

Scott is at his best when he is trying to encourage the skaters down at the bottom of the rankings.

"Well, she had a disasterous short program, but now in the long if she can just land this triple toe-looo -- AWWWWWW. Now here she goes for her double Ax...AWWWWWWWWW."

He is not at best at anything. Sorry but I don't understand how a person with such horrible voice is hired to comment by any TV or Radio station. My ear drums start popping after 1 minute.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
totally forgot it was going to be on, but it wouldn't have been shown here anyway according to my aunt - high school football was on!

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
He is not at best at anything. Sorry but I don't understand how a person with such horrible voice is hired to comment by any TV or Radio station. My ear drums start popping after 1 minute.

Hasn't he been commenting for more than 10 years or something since he retired?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I like Scott Hamilton's shrieking. He really gets into it! :rock:

I'd agree with you if it was the Olympics or Nationals or Worlds...

but at smaller events, it can get to be a tad bit OTT :laugh:

I think they were commenting from the tape, though, rather than having been taped live. It seemed like Scott already knew which jumps the skaters would mess up on, etc.

Yes, they were. David P. was the only person actually in France, it seems, so he could interview the skaters.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I like Scott. Different strokes for different folks. His shrieking does not bother me at all. Maybe because I grew up in a large family when sometimes a little shrieking was only way you could get your point across. lol

janetfan

Match Penalty
I like Scott. Different strokes for different folks. His shrieking does not bother me at all. Maybe because I grew up in a large family when sometimes a little shrieking was only way you could get your point across. lol

After seeing Scott win so many WC's and an OGM I will always respect him.

But......he did not do his homework regarding Caroline. His comments were fair but he did not seem to be aware that Caroline has grown to Yuna's height. He described her as still being so little and I guess from watching tape from the studio it was not that obvious.

I don't mind his voice but I also didn't mind Button's rambling commentary either.

Scott only did about half of the "Yuna gushing" always heard from the Euro team so let's give him some credit.

gourry

Final Flight
I don't mind his shrieking either. I even find it very hilarious sometimes.
But I couldn't really hear music today.... I had to listen very carefully.:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think NBC was using the icenetwork feed, upconverting it for HDTVs (notice the feed wasn't in true HD but was widescreen and formatted correctly?). Save for the interviews and shots of the city, the camera angles were EXACTLY the same as on the IN webcast. They even used the same (ISU) graphics to show the scores (usually they will use their own standard "NBC metallic" graphics package).

Just a minor point, but if a program is upconverted from SD, it should not be advertised as "being in HD". NBC did this with their golf coverage as well a couple years ago (major tourneys were in real HD though)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't mind his shrieking either. I even find it very hilarious sometimes.
But I couldn't really hear music today.... I had to listen very carefully.:laugh:

I think a lot of it could be fixed if the audio tech turned Scott's mic down. it's not that hard to fix levels so everyone matches and ALL commentators should be kept at a level where you can hear the music more than the innane talking.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, Scott can definitely get on one's nerves, even mine, this coming from a fan of his. :)

To tell the truth, I honestly prefer icenetwork's coverage, no commentary whatsoever, the viewer can evaluate the performance on his/her own merit, without the influence of the commentator(s). But one must be a knowledgeable skating fan to do this, otherwise the uninformed viewer doesn't understand a thing that's going on in terms of jumps, et al. Maybe we just need a robot/humanoid to take over commentary so no bias comes into play. ;)

Now I'd love to indulge a favorite passion of mine, Mao. :)

If she sticks to the same jump layout as last year, as she said she would, that would leave her with only 6 triple jumps, no 3/3 combos. whatsoever. The most scoring potential she could earn from this (adding in a perfect SP with the 3A-2T; same as she did at 2009 WTT) would be 201.87, the same PB she earned at 2009 WTT. Both her SP & LP were skated error-free (not counting the one UR call she got on her second 3A).

Like I've said in the past, Mao's PB 133.13 LP score came at 2007 Worlds with 7 triple jumps, which included only one 3A & one 3/3 combo. Her second PB score of 132.31 came at 2008 4CC, wherein she skated another 7-triple jump program, which included only one 3A & two 3/3 combos. So if one were to add her PB SP score of 75.84 (which included a 3A-2T, 3F, 2A) at 2009 WTT, added to her PB LP score of 133.13 at 2007 Worlds (which included 7 triple jumps; only one 3A & one 3/3 combo.) that would = 208.97

This tells me that Mao has to go for a 7-triple program, not just 6 like she's doing now, in order to maximize her overall scoring potential. And this 7-triple program must include one 3/3 combo. Otherwise the most she can score with her current 6-triple program would be 126.03, that's not nearly enough to hit a home run. Even if she hit all her jumps in both the SP & LP she could only earn 201.87overall with her current 6-triple jump layout. So one of those 3F-2R has to be turned into a 3F-3R. GO FOR A 7-TRIPLE PROGRAM, MAO, WITH ONE 3/3 COMBO. & OF COURSE THE TWO 3A!:rock:

On a purely aesthetic note concerning Mao herself & her Victorian costumes with the choker & ruffles, it honestly brings to mind Marie Antoinette of France, whom became a Princess at the age of 14, but didn't become a Queen until the age of 19, that is when she ascended the Throne.

Not only does Mao Asada share the same initials as Marie Antoinette, but she also shares the same 18th century style, as evidenced in these pictures:

http://me.johannaost.com/18thcentury/uploads/2007/06/marie_antoinette_young2.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonfaires16/3181399958/

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20091017/i/r796528693.jpg

This all has me wondering if Tatiana Tarasova is channeling Marie Antoinette...:think::cool:;)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
First a question. Did anyone else notice that the audio on the first two skaters was bad? I could barely hear the music. When Voronov came on it got better.

The commentary had to be done on tape. Andrea Joyce is on both the NBC and the Universal broadcasts. NBC had Scott Hamilton and Universal had Peter Carruthers. I always start forgiving Scott when I hear Peter. Poor Andrea. Her head must be spinning after doing the men's free skate at least twice.

The audio on both NBC and Universal needs improvement.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It is bad that they did not even show Carolina Kostner or Elene G. from the first group. No ice dance....and please, please get Scott of the air. He says the same 3 lines over and over and shrieks whenever anybody leaves the ice.

R.D.

Record Breaker
First a question. Did anyone else notice that the audio on the first two skaters was bad? I could barely hear the music. When Voronov came on it got better.

The commentary had to be done on tape. Andrea Joyce is on both the NBC and the Universal broadcasts. NBC had Scott Hamilton and Universal had Peter Carruthers. I always start forgiving Scott when I hear Peter. Poor Andrea. Her head must be spinning after doing the men's free skate at least twice.

The audio on both NBC and Universal needs improvement.

I did notice the sound was kind of low (either the commentators' mic needed to be turned down, or the background music up) but I think it was an issue of the tape, since their past telecasts have not had this problem.

But the Ice Network audio kept crackling- I'll take low sound any day over the constant dropouts on IN. The problem might have originated with whatever feed the USFS picked up.