Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2009 Rostelecom Cup of Russia Preview

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    A scandal? Really? When they still kicked the *censored* of everyone, G&B included, below Samuelson and Bates, in the OD and FD, and beat the last in both segments too?(Which would be an indication in itself that they could do very well here indeed.)
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. There was discontent in some quarters with their CD (Golden Waltz) marks, that ranked them below Samuelson and Bates -- who did not have a glorious waltz, for reasons mentioned in earlier threads -- and G & B.

Basically, it was the old controversy about how skaters are ranked; those who perform CDs in the first group, some coaches believe, are at a disadvantage to those who perform CDs in the second. G & B, by virtue of junior results, skated in the second group, while Rubleva and Shefer were in the first. And just as an observer, I did think R & S were too low in the CD as well.

I too believe they will finish well at Rostelecom, in that we are in agreement.

Custom Title
    Another job well done!

The skaters I wanna see most in this competition: Pang/Tong, Plushy, Amodio, Ando and Leonova.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Sadly, Alissa Czisny is not the dark horse, but the Trojan horse of US Figure Skating.
    :chorus::chorus::chorus:

Actually I can't understand why everyone is so high on Leonova. She can jump but as of last year had juniorish presentation. She certainly is not going to beat Mao.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    Actually I can't understand why everyone is so high on Leonova. She can jump but as of last year had juniorish presentation. She certainly is not going to beat Mao.
    Actually, hardly anyone has Leonova above Asada....IMO, Asada would have to skate like Kostner did in her Worlds 09 LP for that to happen.

But I don't think it's inconceivable that Leonova's going to make the podium by placing above the likes of Czisny and Wagner...Czisny has superior presentation, but Leonova is less likely to bomb and more likely to land more than 3 triples in her LP. And Leonova has beaten both Czisny and Wagner last season, anyways.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Actually, hardly anyone has Leonova above Asada....IMO, Asada would have to skate like Kostner did in her Worlds 09 LP for that to happen.

But I don't think it's inconceivable that Leonova's going to make the podium by placing above the likes of Czisny and Wagner...Czisny has superior presentation, but Leonova is less likely to bomb and more likely to land more than 3 triples in her LP. And Leonova has beaten both Czisny and Wagner last season, anyways.
    ... which is why I feel that USFS should sent Tiger Woods to CoR instead.

The Zaretskis should be here, with the light field, thy would have done very well here, maybe even placed.

Custom Title
    dorispulaski

Sadly, Alissa Czisny is not the dark horse, but the Trojan horse of US Figure Skating.

Origianlly posted by SerpentineSteps ... which is why I feel that USFS should sent Tiger Woods to CoR instead.

I've never watched Aliss Czisny skate, but all those outrageous posts make me want to watch at at COR. You know just curious as to how "good" she can be. If not, I wanna see how much she sucks.

Heres Jenny Kirk's preview, looks like posted earlier today:
    http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I think Rublev/Shefer will be considerably higher than the GS prediction. They were marked way too low in the CD at TEB last week; it was rather a scandal in Russian quarters, as judges placed them behind Gorshkova/Butikov. I think they will be 2nd or 3rd here.
    After seeing them at TEB, I agree. I think they will take 2nd or 3rd here. I liked their programs better than what I've seen of C/L, haven't seen C/P yet but I'm still thinking R/S can maybe beat them, too. Will be interesting to see.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer View Post
    After seeing them at TEB, I agree. I think they will take 2nd or 3rd here. I liked their programs better than what I've seen of C/L, haven't seen C/P yet but I'm still thinking R/S can maybe beat them, too. Will be interesting to see.

I might be a biased canadian, but I very much doubt that C/P will be beaten here by Rub / Sch, eventhough I haven't seen them skate their new programs.

The young canadians are extremely talented and hard working skaters, who are developing in leaps, technically extremely strong individual skaters, and their programs are mature, well beyond their teenage, full of difficulty.

I am expecting them to give a run for the silver to Capelinni and Lanotte.

And mark my words, in the next Olympic cycle, you will be looking to one of the potential medal winners in Crone / Poirier.

My confidence comes from my observation in the last 2 years since I am seeing them competing, every time they have stepped on the ice, they skated better than before. And their LP music is extremely intriguing, I can hardly wait to see what kind of choreo they could have come up with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2