Poykio withdraws from Rostelecom Cup | Golden Skate

Poykio withdraws from Rostelecom Cup

russell30

Final Flight
Susanna Poykio will not take part in the Rostelecom Cup, not sure why but I hope she is fine.

Anastasia Gimazetdinova replaces Poykio.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Darn I was so looking forward to seeing her programs. If her withdrawal is due to injury wishing her a speedy recovery.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
My god, that event is just cursed. They should go back to the old name, maybe that'll help ;).

I hope Susanna's problem is not too serious.

Kati

On the Ice
Susanna has medial tibial stress syndroma in her leg.
Hope she will recover soon!
I liked her new SP at Finlandia Trophy very much!

russell30

Final Flight
Thanks Kati, found a brief description of Susanna's diagnosis, maybe caused by over exercising (off ice conditioning). Hopefully Susanna will recover soon, yes I very much liked her SP and LP. At least Susanna has gone for music not used, which is great!!:clap:

Shin Splints Injury
Shin Splints is a common term for shin pain that can be due to several different conditions. Because of the confusion that may arise from using the term Shin Splints medical professionals try to avoid using it. One of the most common shin problems that is labelled 'Shin Splints' is Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome. Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome is an irritation of the Tibia (shin bone). In runners, it is caused by over-use, with those who run on hard surfaces being particularly affected.

People suffering from Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome will feel pain on the inner border of the shin (medial Tibial border) during and following exercise. It is important to distinguish Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome from other causes of shin pain ('shin splints') such as Compartment Syndrome or a Stress Fracture. This can require a complex run through of investigations, such as bone scans and compartment pressure tests under the supervision of a sports medicine or orthopaedic doctor.

Most patients with Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome respond to non-operative treatment. Ice Packs are effective at relieving shin pain. Arch Supporting Orthotics (Insoles) and Shock Absorbing Insoles can also help to remedy this problem.

Common Shin Splints signs & symptoms:

Shin pain that comes on gradually.
Pain on the inner border of the shin.
At first the shin pain eases with activity, but aches afterwards.

Get well soon Susanna, we miss you already!!

pista04

On the Ice
hmm

Just to add a little input, as a runner, I've experienced a couple seasons with medical shin splints...it's horrible. They say you feel like the bone and muscle are seperating...I'm not sure, because the pain was just too overwhelmingly weird and unexpected. It goes away after a couple days to a week or two of hanging out and not so much work, so I'm almost sure that she will be fine later in the season, and it's good that she isn't performing on it if the shin splints are that bad. Hope she feels better and this doesn't hinder her season!