Yu-Na Kim's Programs for 2009-2010 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim's Programs for 2009-2010

hurrah

Medalist
Best parts were her huge triple-triple combo jumps in both programs. And she skates with such a confident attitude. Her performances are so solid and consistent and that is most impressive.

Parts that I personally would like to see changed in her SP are where she stops (does she stop three times? or was it twice?) and does sex kitten acts. The one where she stops in the middle of the step sequence in particular is kind of a letdown for me (I know some people would like it). It just seems like she's taking a gratuitous rest. I personally wish she'd speed through it all the way.

Regarding the LP, as other posters have pointed out repeatedly elsewhere, I think her positions leave something to be desired. I think her spread eagle in particular was very wobbly and that is something that should get a quick fix. I also wish she'd do something about her I-spin. Her spin leg is more bent than last season and her face gives away that she is holding on to her leg for dear life. It's one of the last thing she does in the program and is very noticable.

prettykeys

Medalist
Best parts were her huge triple-triple combo jumps in both programs. And she skates with such a confident attitude. Her performances are so solid and consistent and that is most impressive.

Parts that I personally would like to see changed in her SP are where she stops (does she stop three times? or was it twice?) and does sex kitten acts. The one where she stops in the middle of the step sequence in particular is kind of a letdown for me (I know some people would like it). It just seems like she's taking a gratuitous rest. I personally wish she'd speed through it all the way.
I don't mind the pauses too much (3 pauses as you said, maybe bring it down to 2?), but I would definitely like her to trade her sex-kitten act at some points to something more fierce, dangerous, menacing--like she's out to catch a secret agent! Import some of that Danse Macabre demeanor.

Regarding the LP
I agree with what you said. But the choreography itself is kind of a mismatch with her music, too. I want something more creative and random in the choreography to match the variation in the music a bit more. Either that, or scrap the music (it's lovely, but it's a bit odd, and to be honest I don't think it's ideal to skate to because the many peculiarities don't really lend themselves well to jumping and gliding, etc.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
MY IMPRESSIONS ON HER LP

I watched her LP again several times yesterday on a bit bigger screen, and now I do understand what others are saying: the seamless transitions and beautiful flow out of all the jumps (my fave was her solo 3Z).

What can I say about her jumps.
She makes them look so easy that I wonder why she doesn't do another 3-3 combo in the second half of the program.
Also I wish that she succeed a 3Loop instead of one of the 2As, just to make the program more complete with the full set of triples and not give her detractors a reason to complain.

It was quite striking how comfortably she executed all her elements this early in the season.

However, I was still a bit confused whether she was trying to ooze 'sexiness' in this LP as well.
Surely, her make-up is much toned down and her dress says otherwise, but sometimes her facial expressions were the same as they were in her Bond SP.
But again, this early in the season, she needs something to work on.

And yeah, she's got to do something about that free leg during her spirals.
What a turn off.
Even if it doesn't affect her scores, to me, aesthetically it's just a big drop off from the rest of her program.

HER SP

I agree with hurrah about those "posey" moments.
That seemed a bit excessive.
I get it, you are a Bond Girl.
That kinda thing.

Personally I wish they had experimented with this program last year instead, and Dance Macabre was this year.

But still a great program.
In a way, more than the "Bond Girl" image itself, I'm more struck by her poise and charisma to pull off a program like this, especially when I look back at her junior days where her shoulders were hunched and she couldn't get off the ice fast enough.

She's truly come a long way, and that's a testament to her work ethics and great coaching all around. :thumbsup:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I do not like the pause in the middle of her Step Sequence for the SP either.

gourry

Final Flight
I instantly fell in love with both of her programs this year.:love::love:

SP: First of all, I really really think Wilson is genius.:bow: The music edition is just so good! There is nothing boring about this piece of music. When I first heard her music choice, I was secretly worried because I don't really like the James Bond theme song and the stereotype about Bond girls was just.... I worried it's going to be too sexually appealing, tacky...
Well, I was wrong. :love: Sorry, Yuna, David, Brian, for ever doubting you!:p
The opening pose-her arms, her fingers, and... oh!- just made me gasp and through out the performances, I couldn't take my eyes off of her.
To me, the step sequences were the best part of it. Perfectly goes with music, perfectly highlights, shows her skating skills and how well she controls the edges, and is very characteristic, powerful, entertaining, etc, etc, etc.:clap::clap:
Just bravo! This is a very short short program!

LP: I love her costume. JUST GORGEOUS.:love::love::love:
By the way, I think Yuna looks especially beautiful this season! Maybe it's her makeup? Stunningly beautiful. Wow.
This LP of her is just seamless. So smooth, silky, light, fluid, seamless. Especially her step sequences.
I think this season Yuna really improved a lot.
Her jumps are even more solid, high, huge, consistent, effortless, and comfortable to see. WITH interesting transitions in and out of jumps. WOW.:rock: I love how she put the turns out of her solo lutz right to the music.
I love her spins. Over her senior years she's shown a variety of spin positions. It's really nice to see.
And the steps!! Again, smooth, silky,.........
As a whole, it shows what Yuna is capable of now. I felt they tried to show 'this is Yuna's skating' in this LP.

Of course, this is all from the eyes of the beholder.;)
As a designated member of Yunatics:p, I'm so satisfied with both of her programs. Perfect for the Olympic season! Yay!
Just stay focused and healthy, Yuna!:clap::clap:

Huh? Am I the only one who is crazy about her little posing in the middle of step sequences? Come on, fingers snapping lovers, join the club!!

Last edited:

newvie

Rinkside
Huh? Am I the only one who is crazy about her little posing in the middle of step sequences? Come on, fingers snapping lovers, join the club!!

I like that little pause, too!
It spicies up the program and allows her to flirt with the audience and the judges, lol

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Ah yes, pandering to the audience rather than interpreting the music.

I personally do not think it spices up the program, unless saccharine is your favorite spice.

bmelanie

On the Ice

I personally do not think it spices up the program, unless saccharine is your favorite spice.

Once again, I'm having problems with your diction; I don't think it's pandering to the audience, it's just being engaged - this program itself is very engaging, and the little gestures in between seem more an indication of Yuna's confidence in executing the program than anything else. If she were anything but completely certain of her ability to perform each element, I don't think she'd have the mental leisure or composure to pull of those little gestures successfully. And you have to agree, she pulled off that program with aplomb.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Isn't one of the point/level getters for step sequences to show you can stop and start up again with pace? Everyone seems to have that pause in their sequences.

gourry

Final Flight

Duh? I don't care if you like the posing or not because it is none of my business.
But because I like the posing and suddenly saccharine is my favorite spice? Ha.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.:sheesh:

Seriously, part of purposes of choreography is to reach out to the audience. And it reached to the audience like me. What is so wrong with it?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I do not like the pause in the middle of her Step Sequence for the SP either.

I don't mind it, I like some actual chreography, not just going through the elements but honestly, people are gushing like she is doing something never seen before. None of the chreography is that usual nor does she perform it as well as all that. David Wilson did a good job, but no better than he did for Rippon or Sasha of any of the other skaters he worked with. Yu-na dedicates herself to the chreogragphy and sells it, that is her gift.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with the posing and with the people enjoying the posing. As long as the same people don't trash other skaters for it, e.g. Joubert. The program even has the gun-gesture, for which Joubert was slaughtered by a not small number of figure skating fans.

I personally like it. I know that figure skating starts to look more and more like some academic examination; transitions, transitions, transitions; intricacy; highly complicated choreography; really approachable programs are frowned upon as too vulgar. What I also find interesting is that some online figure skating fans seem to completely ignore the audience's reaction to programs. Kim's program was adored by the audience in Paris, every time Joubert nailed his short program, the audience gave him a standing ovation last season.

Let's be honest, a casual fan loves to be entertained. My Mum, who is a casual fan, doesn't give a hoot about transitions or intricate choreography (she actually called Chan way too frantic for her taste), she wants it to be with the music and well presented.

That doesn't mean everybody has to skate to popular themes, with flirting and sassy posing. The diversity is what is most important here. We need the Kozukas and Chans just as much as we need the Jouberts and Contestis. We need a sassy Bond program from Kim just as much as we need the stylish and sophisticated long program from Rochette. That's what sets figure skating apart, even from the other "artistic" sports like gymnastics or diving.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:agree:
I don't have a problem with the posing and with the people enjoying the posing. As long as the same people don't trash other skaters for it, e.g. Joubert. The program even has the gun-gesture, for which Joubert was slaughtered by a not small number of figure skating fans.

I personally like it. I know that figure skating starts to look more and more like some academic examination; transitions, transitions, transitions; intricacy; highly complicated choreography; really approachable programs are frowned upon as too vulgar. What I also find interesting is that some online figure skating fans seem to completely ignore the audience's reaction to programs. Kim's program was adored by the audience in Paris, every time Joubert nailed his short program, the audience gave him a standing ovation last season.

Let's be honest, a casual fan loves to be entertained. My Mum, who is a casual fan, doesn't give a hoot about transitions or intricate choreography (she actually called Chan way too frantic for her taste), she wants it to be with the music and well presented.

That doesn't mean everybody has to skate to popular themes, with flirting and sassy posing. The diversity is what is most important here. We need the Kozukas and Chans just as much as we need the Jouberts and Contestis. We need a sassy Bond program from Kim just as much as we need the stylish and sophisticated long program from Rochette. That's what sets figure skating apart, even from the other "artistic" sports like gymnastics or diving.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

prettykeys

Medalist
I really like your post, Medusa, and I agree.

A little off-topic, but: I have often wondered why gymnastics gives medals for individual events as well as overall scores, and why figure skating couldn't be broken down to that.

By that, I mean a separate medal and competition purely for jumps/jumping (sequences, quality, variety, etc.) Would that be weird?

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Once again, I'm having problems with your diction; I don't think it's pandering to the audience, it's just being engaged - this program itself is very engaging, and the little gestures in between seem more an indication of Yuna's confidence in executing the program than anything else. If she were anything but completely certain of her ability to perform each element, I don't think she'd have the mental leisure or composure to pull of those little gestures successfully. And you have to agree, she pulled off that program with aplomb.

Yes, Yu-Na is very confident.

Nothing wrong with posing either but there is a time and place for it.

I simply don't find Yu-Na's pose during the footwork to be effective. There should be some danger in the program - the music certainly calls for it during the footwork sequence. Adding that pause goes against the music. There are already moments within the program where Yu-Na gets to establish "Hey, look at how CUTE I am". A fierce footwork sequence would work better and I bet that casual fans would be just as enthralled (if not more enthralled) by the power Yu-Na could be exhibiting during the footwork.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I really like your post, Medusa, and I agree.

A little off-topic, but: I have often wondered why gymnastics gives medals for individual events as well as overall scores, and why figure skating couldn't be broken down to that.

By that, I mean a separate medal and competition purely for jumps/jumping (sequences, quality, variety, etc.) Would that be weird?

:laugh: That would be fun, but yes, very weird, I think.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I love the idea, although not specifically in that manner.

It would be nice to see:

1). A short program where there are no rules at all and the judging is completely based upon the "second mark" (skating skills, interpretation, etc).

2). A regular short program, with the required elements.

3). A long program with rules that are a little bit looser than what we currently have in place.

Skaters would get individual medals for each event and there would be an all-around medal too.

prettykeys

Medalist
Hmm, that would be better. 1) would be sort of like a solo Ice Dance. I thought about that as an option, but my biggest worry would be the heavy subjectivity of whose interpretation was "the best".

What I like most about that theoretical format is that the Short Program would be given credit of its own separate from the Long Program. The SP has usually been seen as "kind-of-important-but-not-as-vital-as-the-LP" (what with the marks distribution), but I prefer to see it as a different platform (analogous to the difference between a short story and a novel) - where a simpler theme or concept can be highlighted in a more focused or intense way.

herro

On the Ice
I like both of her programs this year. I like to keep in mind that it's just the beginning of the season. Despite her tremendous score already, she can do so much more to improve on her programs.

Her SP is great. I think it's already in great shape for Vancouver. Of course, skating it more in competition will only add to its depth and strength so I look forward to seeing it in its full glory. I think her pauses are brilliantly placed. Not only do they allow her to breathe for a couple of seconds, they are nicely choreographed and placed into the music. As for the pause in the step sequence, it's obvious it's for choreography and not because she needs to take a breath. We all know she can speed through a step sequence without even blinking. Haha, maybe not blinking, but you get my point. That pause made me smile actually.

Her LP can use some work, but so do the LPs of every other skater we've seen at TEB. There's nothing wrong with a simply choreographed, elegant, sophisticated program. I actually like that she's taking a chance by skating a program that is not overly dramatic with arms flying everywhere. I think this program will surprise us all when it develops fully by next year. It has some potential.