Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Men Short Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I wouldn't call him better than Chan, but I always thought that they are pretty equal. The judges thought the same, till Buttle retired.

Taka is so great, such an amazing skater, I loved those spins today, they were very fast, sharp, well-centered.
    I think therein lies the problem: Chan is the #1 Canadian, while Kozuka is the #3 Japanese. It's not fair, it's not right, blah blah blah but these things seem to come into account when judges are handing out scores.

It's like how Alexander Abt always got the shaft when he was the #3 Russian behind Yagudin and Plushenko.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I think therein lies the problem: Chan is the #1 Canadian, while Kozuka is the #3 Japanese. It's not fair, it's not right, blah blah blah but these things seem to come into account when judges are handing out scores.

It's like how Alexander Abt always got the shaft when he was the #3 Russian behind Yagudin and Plushenko.
    Yes, it unfortunately does happen. Figure skating meets politics and rears its ugly head.

Lambiel is the best!!
    at Plushy's score.
    Looks like both elder statesmen(women) of figure skating did quite well today.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

So does that mean Kozuka probably won't get the credit he deserves unless he bests his countrymen at nationals first?

Quote Originally Posted by *Sniper* View Post
    So does that mean Kozuka probably won't get the credit he deserves unless he bests his countrymen at nationals first?
    And even then I am not sure they would give him the monster scores. Lysacek was e.g. third at last US Nationals, but got clearly rewarded with big PCS at 4CC and Worlds, bigger PCS than Mroz and Abbott. Despite the fact that Abbott, even with mistakes, is clearly the superior skater.

Just because you mess up at Nationals, it doesn't mean that the judges don't see you as No.1 of your country.

Custom Title
    Thank you for the links. Still cannot believe Plushy is back after all these years. I would much prefer to see young upcoming talent get their chance, but very well done by him anyway and good luck!

Custom Title
    Tahiko great program, loved your spings.

Evgeny a bit rusty-maybe but if he keeps improving the OGM from what i have seen so far is his or he will be very tough to beat. (like i said from what I have seen so far)

Great skate evgeny

Johnny--i don't know what to say-- a decent skate (personally can't stand the costume). to me front part of program look like a girl skating type but the end of the short program for me look men type of artistry. keep improving.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Takahiko Kozuka is btw the reigning national silver medalist. Last worlds he outskated Nobunari Oda and finished 6th overall. Thanks to Takahiko Kozuka Japan now has 3 entries for the upcoming Olympics.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Plushenko's cannonball sit-spin position is embarrassing. I don't think he interpreted the music very well either.

But...those jumps! Absolutely perfect Quad-Toe combination and Triple Axel. Wow. He still has it.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Plushenko's cannonball sit-spin position is embarrassing.
    Not to the judges.
    FSSp3 0,2
    CSSp4 0,4

Those goes aren't huge, still positive.

Judges don't know how to judge the sport. It's sad. No matter what system is in place, there is always going to be failure in the form of bias and/or idiocy.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Plushenko's cannonball sit-spin position is embarrassing. I don't think he interpreted the music very well either.

But...those jumps! Absolutely perfect Quad-Toe combination and Triple Axel. Wow. He still has it.
    My thoughts exactly. I have seen 6 year old with better positions on the sitspin. But spins never were his strength.

BTW, Kozuka deserved to win the SP. This guy is amazing. He is currently quite underrated in terms of his artistry. I got chills during his SP.

The Japanese have the strongest 3-man lineup, IMO. One of the best 3-man lineups ever, in fact. Takahashi, Kozuka, and Oda all have the ability to be World Champions.

The same can be said of Abbott, Weir, and Lysacek on the American side...but they aren't as consistent overall.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I don't know about placement, but I was left feeling underwhelmed by Evgeni also. Perhaps rustiness or being out of training for a while left him a bit sapped for energy during his step sequence (so it's understandable)...but he's still doing that thing where he packs all his jumps in at the very beginning of the program with deadspace in between them.

With nothing left to prove, and no missing golds, I wish he'd found more motivation to experiment artistically rather than doing the tactical thing.

Kozuka - what a charming performance.

Custom Title
    I just have to say that was one for the ages for me personally as a long-time Evgeni Plushenko Fan!!!!!!!!

And like I mentioned earlier this morning I'm in love with the guy from Japan ~ WOW!!!!!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast