Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Continued Assault on the Ears

Rinkside

Thumbs down Continued Assault on the Ears

I think you all know who I'm talking about. The elfin, nasal-voiced commentator who shrieks constantly. Is he trying to make the sport more exciting? It's not working, it's backfiring. It's annoying! He was worse than ever this afternoon. This person has also remarked that the salchow is the easist jump....nevermind the great skater Yamaguchi has called the (triple) salchow her nemesis. The toe loop is the easiet of the jumps, IMO.

Custom Title
    I actually had to hit the mute button 2 minutes after he began his commentary. Maybe it's because I haven't had to endure the screeches, screams, inane comments, for the past 7 months? He's a nice guy, great athlete, but NBC surely can hire someone with a better TV presentation to do commentary (you know they have received negative emails over the years since he began working for them!!) He wasn't as bad during the ladies' event (well, not as screechy nor as loud). I still plan to send a letter to Dick Ebersole (don't trust a email to reach him), to ask why they've kept him on year after torturous year.

go ahead and say the name, it's not that hard

Custom Title

about screechy voice

Isn't Mr Screecy voice SH brother in law to Dick E?

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    go ahead and say the name, it's not that hard
    That would be great... I tend to not really follow broadcasts other than, since last year, CBC/Skate Canada's coverage (and didn't really follow things closely other than results in previous years... maybe the odd youTube video or CTV/TSN on a good day), so a name would really help here

-Kypma

Medalist
    I am starting to hate him. "Yu-na has no flaws"--Really? What about her bad leg position on layback and slightly bent knee on spiral? I don't care how low or high you lift your leg in arabesque, just straighten it out. And now she knows she can throw away at least one jump and still win. Don't get me wrong, I adore Yu-na, consider her the best female jumper ever, and love her 2009-2010 programs. But keep it real.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I am starting to hate him. "Yu-na has no flaws"--Really? What about her bad leg position on layback and slightly bent knee on spiral? I don't care how low or high you lift your leg in arabesque, just straighten it out. And now she knows she can throw away at least one jump and still win. Don't get me wrong, I adore Yu-na, consider her the best female jumper ever, and love her 2009-2010 programs. But keep it real.

Well, he also said that Oksana Baiul had "no weaknesses" in her skating....so yeah, big grain of salt.

Rinkside
    I never got the chance to suffer through Scotty's screeching insanity, my local NBC affiliates aired infomercials instead of TEB on Sunday.

I did enjoy these commentary-free vids of Yu-Na's programs. I'm sure those who watched the NBC broadcast will as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g4xlHl0gnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULrOw...eature=related

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindertotenlieder View Post
    I never got the chance to suffer through Scotty's screeching insanity, my local NBC affiliates aired infomercials instead of TEB on Sunday.
    I had the same problem - except mine was the Dew Tour (skateboarding???). I'd've have liked to get anything! but that said, I like Scott's enthusiasm and excitement when he comments anyway.

Custom Title
    His voice really annoys me, he's enthusiastic, yes...but he NEEDS to stop making that grunting noise (uurrrrggghhh) when a skater jumps - why?!?!

Custom Title
    Same here. I have to get out of my sofa and shake the T.V. Every fans, and even casual viewal can tell Yuna is good, but there is no needs to butter up the whole 4 minutes of routine.

God. Maybe they should put a limit to how many words and sentences they can comment on each program. :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Not having seen TEB with commentary I can't say much about it. However, I must say I do think less is more when doing so!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I agree. I also adore Yu Na. I also want him to keep it real. She doesn't include the loop in her programs and her spiral is improved but not at all at the level of Cohen, Asada, Czisny, Kostner, and many others. Her spin positions too. She's not the most flexible out there. But when it comes to speed, skating skills, ice coverage, overall jumping ability, and presentation, yes you can praise that.

Dick Button would keep it real. We need his objectivity back!

Dick Button keeps it real about as much as Scott does... he's still stuck on Kwan... it's time for him to quit comparing every woman to her. she's not competing... they aren't going up against her. who cares if they don't look like her.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindertotenlieder View Post

I did enjoy these commentary-free vids of Yu-Na's programs. I'm sure those who watched the NBC broadcast will as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g4xlHl0gnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULrOw...eature=related

thank you so much for those links!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast