Ladies SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

evangeline

Record Breaker
Asada won't be at gran prix final?

Well, the spread between sixth place and first place isn't THAT big (about 7 points), so Mao should technically be able to make it up with no problem. But based on the way Mao's been skating lately.....she really might not make it to the GPF.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
This is now Miki's to win. Just consider that this short is 4 days old. Her long program is probably much better trained.

Exactly. In her press statement, she implied that she was just going to dive in the deep end with this program, and I applaud her for tackling it so head-on. With less than a point separating her and the top 2 (and given Julia and Alyssa’s tendencies to bomb the FS), I think Miki will be fine.

adamlondon

On the Ice
yu na kim's team must be giggling underneath their breaths to see all these girls falling apart in front of her

mel66

Rinkside
Mao should stop trying on 3A. She says its her strength but in fact it is her weakness!!!

I know some of you are saying that Mao loves challenge, but to me, it seems like she and her camp are just not smart enough to make a smart decision.

She should keep practicing 3A in practice, but not in the real competition. I'm sure there are other ladies who are practicing 3A in their practice but they don't do it on competitions because they know they're not ready.

I think Mao is a beautiful skater but recently I feel really sad when I see her skating:unsure:

Well, since Mao is always better at FS, she might be able to medal tomorrow but I don't expect the gold though....

Way to go ladies~

SusieH

On the Ice
OMG. Poor Mao. :no: I'm not sure if I want to go to youtube to search for this performance :frown:

But she's lucky that she will still skate in the final group, and she can bounce back! She is fully capable of that and groping her way back to the podium. Go Mao! Good luck!

Anyway, can't believe my eyes. Who would have thought it? Congratulations to the three leading ladies :thumbsup: Here's hoping everyone performs her best tomorrow.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
No more excuses for Asada and JSF to have TAT around now.

TAT is killing the popularity of figure skating in Japan. They should replace her immediately.

Last edited:

fanofskate

Rinkside
Mao's focus on the triple axel is just taking so much energy away from what could be awesome programs. She should re-direct all that effort to building a more solid program, with better music, choreography and costume.

On another note, I liked the enthusiasm and energy of the Russian skater. Reminds me of the young Irina Slutskaya.

Loved Wagner's program, such a lyrical skater. I liked the little accents in her program (split jump etc). I hope they can fix the jumps before nationals.

And good for Sebestyen. Confident, clean programs should be rewarded though they may not be the prettiest, refined looking.

Never thought I would spend the time to watch the last flight of ladies. But having watched a YT video of Plushy's SP and those jumps, inspired me to watch the ladies live. Not a big fan of Plushenko but his comeback just generates excitement for the singles in general. I've been more drawn to ice dancing for the last couple seasons.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm just literally shaking with anger...about the whole situation....lol I haven't been this mad since I read Jennifer Kirk's article about Sasha Cohen dropping out of TEB.

What's the problem? Too much pressure? coach? 3A after 3A after 3A? choregraphy? music? what? everything????????

It just breaks my heart, it just breaks my heart.

I was worried that Mao's too fragile. Yuna's the opposite. You need an extremely strong mind to become a champion, especially an Olympic Champion:

Katarina Witt
Krisit Yamaguchi
Oksana Baiul
Tara Lipinski
Sarah Hughes
Shizuka Arawkawa

evangeline

Record Breaker
Mao should stop trying on 3A. She says its her strength but in fact it is her weakness!!!

I know some of you are saying that Mao loves challenge, but to me, it seems like she and her camp are just not smart enough to make a smart decision.

Yes, sometimes the risk is not worth it. I really hope she doesn't try 2 3As in her LP tomorrow....:banging:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Miki will be fine. There are not many skaters that can crack 110+ FS score. Only Ashley, Alizza and Aleona. For Mao, even if she take out her 3A, she can still climb to the podium. All she need is a silver to get in GPF.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Normally I applaud risk-taking, but in Asada's case I really do think she is better off forgetting about the 3A - at least in the short, and attempting no more than 1 in the FS.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Miki will be fine. There are not many skaters that can crack 110+ FS score. Only Ashley, Alizza and Aleona. For Mao, even if she take out her 3A, she can still climb to the podium. All she need is a silver to get in GPF.

I don't think Wagner nor Czisny will score above 110 in the FS.

It is a nice thought, however.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Normally I appluad risk-taking, but in Asada's case I really do think she is better off forgetting about the 3A - at least in the short, and attempting no more than 1 in the FS.

Yes I agree, There is a difference bewtween risk taking and suicide.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Normally I applaud risk-taking, but in Asada's case I really do think she is better off forgetting about the 3A - at least in the short, and attempting no more than 1 in the FS.
That really sounds like the best strategy. That's how she became World Champion.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Can we please see how Mao does tomorrow before writing her - and Tarasova - off? :unsure:

Also, for everyone worrying about the GPF, considering the minuscule gap between the top ladies, I wouldn't worry too much. All Asada likely needs is a podium finish.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I hope mentally she can shake this bad SP off. In the K&C she looked emotionally drained. Mao needs saving. Excuse me if I sound to dramatic but Mao is so talented and it is painful for this Mao fan to watch.

bmelanie

On the Ice
poor Mao...I caught the last bit of the ladies SP on a live feed and Mao looked like she was exerting immense self control not to cry, with TAT gabbling on and on in Russian right next to her (Mao doesn't speak Russian, does she?)

skate4ever

Rinkside
Is "granny" Julia Sebestyen's nickname in Hungary, or just here at GS?
She's only 28 years old, and we even had an older skater in the competition (the Uzbek girl). :biggrin: