Ladies SP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

fairly4

Medalist
Okay==

Wagner overmarked--why--i don't know if she got downgrade on her two last jumps--but if not she should have--she should be around a 51 to 52.
my mom thinks she still skates like a kid.
TO me a bit improvement in artistry but not much why--just moving arms to music

Alissa marks a bit high should be a 55--i don't know if she got downgrade on single jump and her double axel but she should have. But improved a bit since nebelhorn trophy.

Not sure why she is 2nd above miki-but than miki didn't skate all that great.
Poor Mao--why 2nd straight week in a row--france and now here. her artistry shined through even with her mistakes. she also looks tired skating 3 events in a month is taking the toll on her.

schiele

Final Flight
Well for me, Julia was the absolute highlight.. Such a fresh and clean skate, great musicality.. Loved it.. I know shell probably be a victim to her nerves (yet again) tomorrow but its always great to see seasoned skaters to come on top like this.. And she deserved to be on top today..
And Mao... I cannot talk about it anymore.. Joubert and Mao, they make my heart ache.. My dream team for OGMs, visibly stepping away from any medal chance.. :(:( Can anyone pls convince them to stop this insane presssure on themselves?? well, there may be still hope for Joubert if he stops making 3 quad attampts, but for Mao, I see little light for this season. As someone previously pointed out, I think her toe jumps are goners..

Last edited:

macemace1980

Rinkside
I am curious as to how and why Mao's jumps have become so unstable like this. I mean, Miki basically screwed up the whole season, but she fixed her jump and now she is more than fine, isn't she?

Also, Mao looked like she fixed her flutz perfectly on tv interviews, and how come not only her lutz, but her all other jumps are now messed up? She no longer puts any 3-3 in her program, 3A is killing her, and she keeps falling.... ugh. Moreover, didn't yuna also have that flip problem with "!" mark? Her fans say that her jumps were always perfect, but obviously it bothered yuna enough to take flip out of the 3-3 and put it separately. If Yuna really did have edge problems, then how could she fix her edge problem so easily without affecting any other jumps, but Mao on the other hand has all these problems?

I feel that after the whole flutz deal affected Mao greatly, and her strategy with jumping and programs have changed dramatically. I really don't get it. Is doing 3A really affecting her everything? Mao also doesn't seem to be jumping as high, and her body appears to be slightly heavier when she jumps. (Not heavy as in weight, but it's more stiff or some sort. Compared to her junior years, there's definitely a huge difference.)

Whatever the problem is, I really hope Mao finds a solution. I am still really shocked with her 6th placement and also her score...........

This is what I have been thiking of.
But I suppose that Yuna had less problem of Flip compare to Mao's Lz.
Plus as Yuna's Lz is very stable, changing from 3F3T to 3L3T was not so hard for Yuna, acutally gets more points. Though I prefer her 3F3T which was so beautiful and high.
She looks very fine with jump layout now.

Then about Mao , her 3A is not like Yuna's Lz.
How is it possible to do 3A2T at competitions while she can't even do 3A at practice?
I think that if she wants to put 3A2T instead of 3F3L or 3Lz3L, she should be able to do 3A at practice at least 80%.
I also watched her doing 3Lz better than before and another combination jumps.
I don't really know what kind of problem Mao has. Mentally or Physically?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I know that people hate the term "puberty bug" when it is applied to the ladies, but it does happen and it usually affects a skaters jumps. Maybe Mao is going through that now. I know she is 19, but some ladies mature at a different rate. Just a thought.....

cima

Spectator
Moreover, didn't yuna also have that flip problem with "!" mark? Her fans say that her jumps were always perfect, but obviously it bothered yuna enough to take flip out of the 3-3 and put it separately. If Yuna really did have edge problems, then how could she fix her edge problem so easily without affecting any other jumps, but Mao on the other hand has all these problems?

Well, actually Yuna didn't FIX her edge problem. As you know, Yuna hadn't got any edge problem until the last season, which means that she essentially had the right technique to do 3F with inside edge. When she got ! mark on her 3F in the last season, she said that because she had to think too much about putting 3T after 3F, her edge was changed slightly to flat. Now, she is doing 3F as a solo jump, and she is very comfortable with her 3F taking off with inside edge because she doens't have to think about putting 3T after 3F anymore.

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
The Requiem she did at exhibition looked a lot more sophisticated and un-morozoved

I sense the birth of a new concept in skating - morozoving a program. Example: "Sasha's Moonlight Sonata exhibition was such a brilliant program, but then it got morozoved!"

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
I sense the birth of a new concept in skating - morozoving a program. Example: "Sasha's Moonlight Sonata exception was such a brilliant program, but then it got morozoved!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Well, it is not totally wrong after all.. :p

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
mao's problem is that she has become a one-trick pony and the judes aren't buying it. She has bet it all on landing 3 triple axles per competiton and if she dosen't then she has nothing to fall back on. I feel like she should not give up on the triple axel in the short yet. She has been doing them so effortlessly I know that she is capable of landing to easily, she just needs to stop the head games. Skating is 90% mental and Mao is in a bad place mentally right now.

For the SP she should do
3 axel/ 2 toe

3 flip

2 axel

For the Freeskate:

3 axel/ 2 toe

3 lutz

3 flip/3 loop

2 axel

3 loop/2loop/2loop

3 flip

3 toe

2 axel/2 loop

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There's no point in doing the Axel in combination in the SP (nor the LP, for that matter, if she is only going to do 1 of them). She would get so many more points by adding a Triple onto the end of her Flip.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I couldn't agree more... we've seen meltdowns before and those skaters turn it around quickly and go on to great seasons... we've also seen TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION - in October - and TOTAL WORLD DISASTER - in February. Its almost a part of the Olympic tradition.

I do hope, however, that Mao's issues are mental and not physical. Pressure can do wonders for an athlete after a series of missteps. But if she has a physical issue (ie - injury or another growth spurt) this might affect her chances in Vancouver to compete.

Granted, if she comes back strong tomorrow and wins the whole thing, this obsessive hand wringing will quickly change into "heart of a champion" and "TAT's a genius!!" rather quickly. That's also become apart of the Olympic tradition - fans and their fickle opinions!:laugh::laugh:

Lol, Kwanford Wife you've got me pegged!:biggrin::laugh:

Still, in all honesty, I'm going to have to write Mao Asada off. Believe me, it pangs me, but she (like Tonya & so many others) just doesn't have what it takes to be an Olympic Champion, number #1 mental toughness.

Except for Julia Sebestian, everybody else was blah in my opinion.

The only ones I've loved straight from the get-go is #1 Yuna Kim & Yukari Nakano & Caroline Zhang.

I'm a figure skating fan first & foremost, so I bow to those aforementioned superior performances that left me with a visceral reaction right from the get go!:bow:

And what a joy it was to see Julia back & honestly better than ever......she looks like a young girl out there......her jumps always reminded me of Irina Slutskaya & still do ~ superior to everybody else's!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::rock::love:

I hope Julia wins, she deserves it.:bow:

Nadine

Record Breaker
The Americans & everybody else now have a realistic shot at silver & bronze at the Olympics ~ YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::thumbsup:

:love:COME BACK, SASHA COHEN, COME BACK!!!!!!!:love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Americans & everybody else now have a realistic shot at silver & bronze at the Olympics ~ YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::thumbsup:

Not so fast!! It's a nice thought, but it's only October. Virtually no indication of what will happen in February. Did anyone seriously predict Asada off the WP last year??

prettykeys

Medalist
Thank you, calica.

I'm curious to see Julia's SP if anyone has a link. :)

I rather like Miki's costume.

I am at a loss of words for Mao. This is a girl who has performed programs to perfection; a few times she fell hard, and she still would fight her way back into a flawless recovery. She doesn't have the confidence anymore to commit to her jumps.

Every question, every speculation, and every idea as to how to fix things has already been said so I won't say anymore. But I do want to point out that I don't get the impression that Tat is as cruel or hard as some believe. She has a tough exterior and a strong character (and I have no doubt she is a demanding coach) but I do believe she cares for her pupil. If there was the possibility Mao's previous coach did want to continue to coach her part-time and put his reputation on the line, well it seems Tat is at least willing to do that; and in the K&C area she made a fist as if to say "be strong, Mao" and patted her on the back. I am not sure that Tat is the right coach for Mao at this time (just as I'm not sure if Mao should be worrying about or even incorporating the 3axel into any of her programs right now), but I do believe her intentions are not as "evil" as they appear, nor would I put all fault in her.

I really want Mao to take out all 3axels, get back on her basics, find some steady ground and rebuild. When she's back, Tat and 3axels may really begin to work their thing.

Having said that, I still think Mao's skating and fluidity was the nicest to watch.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Granted, if [Mao] comes back strong tomorrow and wins the whole thing, this obsessive hand wringing will quickly change into "heart of a champion" and "TAT's a genius!!" rather quickly. That's also become apart of the Olympic tradition - fans and their fickle opinions!:laugh::laugh:

:chorus:

The crazy thing is I totally see it happening :rofl:

But in all seriousness, if she wants to contend for an OGM she needs to desperately do something about the SP. Kim proved that Gold can potentially be won on the SP portion, leaving everyone else fighting for scraps. :indiff: Can't predict if The Great Equalizer will rear its head, causing Kim to fall and crash back down to earth, so can't take anything for granted.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm entitled to my opinion, RD, and I go with my gut instinct! ;):cool:

I've been watching & loving this beautiful sport of figure skating since I was a mere kid/child, having watched Dorothy Hamill win her Olympic Gold Medal in 1976. Nothing's changed, I'm still that kid at heart.:love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm entitled to my opinion, RD, and I go with my gut instinct! ;):cool:

I've been watching & loving this beautiful sport of figure skating since I was a mere kid/child, having watched Dorothy Hamill win her Olympic Gold Medal in 1976. Nothing's changed, I'm still that kid at heart.:love:

After seeing so much mediocre skating at the two GP's Sasha may have been given a shot in the arm. If she has anything left jumpwise Sasha could have done well in Paris and very well in Russia. It appears 3-4 triples is all you need today to make the Ladies podium. Sasha always had more than that even on an off day.

Last edited: