Yu-Na Kim: Twenty Percent to Perfection | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Twenty Percent to Perfection

Andalusia

Final Flight
By googling I found an article about Yu-Na's 3A practice scene in 2006 with some comments.

http://www.koreanfs.com/standard/home/?document_srl=346

You can see from the video that she almost did it and it was huge. Too bad she had to quit practicing it due to injuries!

That was a pathetic attempt, IMHO. Sigh, just because Mao can do a 3A and Yu-Na will never be able to do one doesn't mean that you have to grasp at straws to make it sound as if oh, Yu-Na would so have a 3A right now if only she didn't have to stop practicing it due to injuries.

bekalc

Record Breaker
That was a pathetic attempt, IMHO. Sigh, just because Mao can do a 3A and Yu-Na will never be able to do one doesn't mean that you have to grasp at straws to make it sound as if oh, Yu-Na would so have a 3A right now if only she didn't have to stop practicing it due to injuries.

It's totally possible that Yu-na could practice and never get a 3axel of course. But right now she's not even practicing it, and she's not trying to learn it because she is afraid of injuries. It's why a lot of the women don't really try to learn quads or triple axels.

Marie_S

Rinkside
"Figure skating is not a record-breaking sport such as swimming," Kim observed.

- What I really love about Yu-na is that she always tries to deliver the best rather than getting obsessed with points.

"Every single time I compete, I try to do an impeccable performance and express all of myself. What I like to do is be prepared. When I'm perfectly prepared, I'm better within my performance. That's my limit."

- Something for some other ladies to seriously think about here.
BE PREPARED.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Very good interview. I hope that will approach her a bit more to people here.

R.D.
Come to think of it I really don't think we've seen Kim perform under real pressure...
Well... I really hope that the biggest pressure for her is and will be when she skated at GPF08 in her homeland.

Nadine
What I don't understand is why doesn't she work on a 3A? Seriously, she's got the best jumps out there ~ height, distance, rotation, speed, et al, perfect ~ so why not even take it one further: the 3A? She could easily do it. All her triples are fabulous, especially her 3/3 combos.!!!!!!
3A can't be easy. She was struggling to do it, but in the end it looks like it was very wise to stop doing so.

I hope to God she doesn't quit after the Olympics, but rather stays on for another 4 yrs. like Katarina Witt did. This lady is too special to just retire. Stay on & match Michelle Kwan's numerous World Titles & then go one further & match Katarina Witt. Become the Sonja Henie of this era.
Well, there is a world besides figure skating. She will participate in Worlds 2010, no matter what results she'll have at Olympics. After this season she will decide whether to retire or not.

Andalusia
I just love how you made up things that he didn't mean, wrote "never be able" and mentioned Mao out of place.

prettykeys

Medalist
Sour, much?

Andalusia

I just love how you made up things that he didn't mean, wrote "never be able" and mentioned Mao out of place.
Exactly. steyn just expressed regret that YuNa had to stop practicing it or risk worse injuries and losing everything else she actually had (which was a lot.) The quality of YuNa's attempted 3axel is beautiful and I'm happy to see the progress she did make on it. By herself. In Korea.

If someone stated YuNa totally could have had a 3axel by now, it would be about as ridiculous and speculative as saying YuNa never will. *cough*

I will say...YuNa may never have to. :)

steyn

On the Ice

What's the matter with you? Simply I don't understand your post.

I read Nadine's post:
What I don't understand is why doesn't she work on a 3A? Seriously, she's got the best jumps out there ~ height, distance, rotation, speed, et al, perfect ~ so why not even take it one further: the 3A? She could easily do it. All her triples are fabulous, especially her 3/3 combos.!!!!!!
Then I vaguely remembered that Yu-Na had actually practiced 3A, so I googled to confirm it. I thought the article I found would be a good answer to Nadine's question and I posted it here. What's wrong with it? Sigh.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ok, people:

Do you know how hard those jumps are to skater's body? Scott Hamilton reminded us the best during the last week's TEB braodcasting. While he was commenting on Oda's LP, he said in effect, he would be able to walk when he's in his 60's. This is attributed to Oda's soft knees that absorbed all the "jumping pounding."

Professional ballerina knows that his/her career can destroy his/her hips due to all the poundings resulting from jumps. Regular running on concrete pavement destroys knees. I'm guessing arduous jumpings on hard-cold ice can destroy hips: hence the above Hamilton comment.

We need better physio-support for skaters as well as understanding/appreciation from fans.

PftJump

On the Ice
In case of Midori...Her knees are not good, maybe, because of Her 3Axel.
Midori's 3Axel was WAY HUGE & Great thing.
That was Perfect one, I've ever seen in the women's filed.
But She has no masterpiece. Just Jump was all that Midori.

I want Yuna stay healthy, care her body, and leave many masterpieces for the ppl. Like witt, like Kwan...
IMO, 3A is stupid thing for woman. Figure skate is not a freak show.
Just One jump can't do nothing for anybody.
There are so many things to do in the Figure Skating.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What I don't understand is why doesn't she work on a 3A? Seriously, she's got the best jumps out there ~ height, distance, rotation, speed, et al, perfect ~ so why not even take it one further: the 3A?

Because she is a toe-pick jumper, not an edge jumper.

Her 2Axel is great but that doesn't necessarily mean a 3Axel would come easily. She has major difficulties with the 3Loop, after all.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In case of Midori...Her knees are not good, maybe, because of Her 3Axel.
Midori's 3Axel was WAY HUGE & Great thing.
That was Perfect one, I've ever seen in the women's filed.
But She has no masterpiece. Just Jump was all that Midori.

Midori's LP in 1989 was quite fulfilling artistically. In general, Midori was a great performer when it came to interpreting music that was lighter/cuter.

In 1990, her coaches started making her skate to heavy, ponderous music. This didn't suit her personality.

Had Midori been allowed to use music that made her happy and brought out her personality, she probably would have felt much more confident and been the 1992 Olympic Champion.

She is one of the most unique skaters of all time. Not the MOST artistic, but she certainly had a style that was appealing and the best jumps of all time.