Men Free Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men Free Program

gracefulswan

On the Ice
not to mention the fact that oda has had years of feedback from the judges... this is evgeni's first long program performance in a major international competition in FOUR years. so yes, i'd be surprised if he had been scored in the 160s range on his first outing... i mean, damn, you gotta leave room for him to improve.

life684

Final Flight
Oda's score was higher. His program is better too.

Oda's score was higher agreed but the judges at france where giving +goe like santa. surely oda base score of 73 scoring 86 won't happen if the competition was held here.

here, judges where very reluctant in giving +goe for the jumps, especially for plushy.

Last edited:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Looking at the Oda's score, he got bonus points for spreading his jumps to second half. Something Plushenko must think about. Either change the layout or include another quad combo.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Plushenko didn't even max out the jumps, only two combos, no three jump combo, just one Quad/Triple repeated. He can give us more. I suppose he wants to repeat the Quad Toe later in the season.

And good question, where is the bonus for the Triple Salchow, it's the last element in the entire program for heaven's sake!

Mroz - jeez, the highest positive GOE he got is 0,20. MiniJoubert, that's the judges telling you, work on the execution! Even the jumps only get the base value.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
And good question, where is the bonus for the Triple Salchow, it's the last element in the entire program for heaven's sake!

I hope they'll discover and correct that mistake asap. I though the computer automatically added bonuses. Looks like I thought wrong.

merrybari

Final Flight
All around I was underwhelmed by today's splatfest!

Plushenko sure can rattle off the jumps like nothing, but the rest of the program left me unimpressed. How he got level 4s on those spins defies imagination - so slow and poor positions on the sits. His footwork, too, again imo, left something to be desired. Nor did I appreciate the unmitigated arrogance of not really even striking an ending pose. The arrogance is what turned me off to his skating the first time around - never was I happier than when Yagudin took the OGM! I can't see the skating through the attitude.

MUCH prefer Kozuka's style - see a really bright future. He may have been intimidated by Plushenko. He - and the other Olympic contenders - need to keep EP out of their heads and stay in their own.

Much better outing today for Brandon! I agree with the poster who said it's not the start that counts so much as the ending. Good for him.

Weir - has work to do. He seldom really skates the program - leaving out and/or doubling jumps. Where has his heart gone? Didn't seem to be in his skating today. Sorry to see him looking so downcast in the KnC.

Good for Borodulin! Really enjoyed his skating - and so did he. That's an ingredient that seems to be missing from so many skaters in this Olympic season. Seem so many are letting it get to them and trying too hard.

The ones who are strongest mentally are going to have one up on the others just in that area alone.

Lighten up skaters. It's early yet - you have time. Take what you learn from this one into the next. Have fun and let the rest take care of itself.

Last edited:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i'm very glad, at least, that he's going to have a fight on his hands for the gold. winning 2 olympic golds shouldn't be a cake walk, esp. if the rules have changed a lot since. to win gold, i think, he'll have to prove it with the best performance of his life....in both the short and long. but, at least he has a very good chance. and that's all that's important anyway because many people were wondering if he could even be competitive for a medal, let alone gold. well, he answered that question tonight. :agree:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Plushenko was good today :clap: But it wasn't his best. He told that he is not in a good shape yet and if he does something like this when he is not in a good shape... just wow! We will see his best in Vancouver where he is going to do 4-3 (or maybe 4-3-2, he tried to do even 4-3-3 in the local competition in september) and another single quad in the FS and maybe he will try 3A-3, he will work on his spins, steps, etc. and it will be very difficult for others to beat him (if not impossible)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I genuinely thought it meant something else at first because there was no bonus, or that the triple salchow doesn't get a bonus for some reason. But Kozuka did get a bonus on it.

Mroz - jeez, the highest positive GOE he got is 0,20. MiniJoubert, that's the judges telling you, work on the execution! Even the jumps only get the base value.

Yeah, Mroz - quit screwing up Medusa's predictions (and my own, I might add).

Medusa

Record Breaker
Artem Borudulin officially has neither Lutz nor Flip. He got called with an "e" on his Flip in the short program, but in the long program had a clear Flutz, also called with an "e".

How about sending him to Mishin for a few weeks to clean that lapse in technique up? It's a bit embarrassing for a Russian top-level skater.

But I am glad he medaled, which is by the way something neither Lutai nor Voronov managed so far. Maybe there is hope for him yet. He has huge potential.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I like Kozuka but having seen him live, I have to say that his style of skating will haunt him. He really needs Take Five style music to get audience into the program. Otherwise he always come off too tepid and reserved which in judges' eyes translates in low PCS.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Talk about predictions. I had my 1st two podium finishers right: Zhenya and Takahiko. And I had a bunch of 3 for the 3rd: Weir, Mroz, Amodio, and they all screwed up! Can't believe it.

Otherwise he always come off too tepid and reserved which in judges' eyes translates in low PCS.

Could be true. But he's improving in that departement. IIRC, he used to be more reserved.

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
For those who want to watch Plushenko Fs again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYsBoHVSVcI

I really enjoy watching Kozuka's performances. Indeed, his future is bright.

I hope the other men are prepared to bring their A-game to Vancouver because Plushy isn't going to relinquish the OGM that easily. I guess it's a dream come true for Joubert and his quads.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Talk about predictions. I had my 1st two podium finishers right: Zhenya and Takahiko. And I had a bunch of 3 for the 3rd: Weir, Mroz, Amodio, and they all screwed up! Can't believe it.
Same goes for me, I think Borodulin was No.7 or 8 on my list.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Artem Borudulin officially has neither Lutz nor Flip. He got called with an "e" on his Flip in the short program, but in the long program had a clear Flutz, also called with an "e".

How about sending him to Mishin for a few weeks to clean that lapse in technique up? It's a bit embarrassing for a Russian top-level skater.

But I am glad he medaled, which is by the way something neither Lutai nor Voronov managed so far. Maybe there is hope for him yet. He has huge potential.

Borodulin had serious injury about 2 seasons ago and still skates with that iron thing in his leg (sorry, I just don't know how to say it in english correctly) that's why he has some problems with his jumps and doesn't try to do quad

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Why does it have to be so early here?? I'm reading these post half asleep:biggrin:

After checking the results Im bummed for Tretiakov, his only chance at GPrix and he screwed it so badly :cry:

Good for Mroz for a semi comeback and great for Borodulin, not my fave but I still like him.

I'll wait to see Plushy and Taka's programs first to coment about them but Im happy with the result. It's great to have Evgenis back and great to see the JPN kids doing better and better.

janetfan

Match Penalty
For those who want to watch Plushenko Fs again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYsBoHVSVcI

I hope the other men are prepared to bring their A-game to Vancouver because Plushy isn't going to relinquish the OGM that easily. I guess it's a dream come true for Joubert and his quads.

Thanks for the link. I would say seeing Plushy LP was more interesting than enjoyable. BTW, his jumps are back, but several looked tilted to me. His spins will have to get better and the steps are actually the roughest looking part of the program.
But I am sure he can polish it up and be stronger by Vancouver. And he is still the perfect CoP style skater. Forget which program you like the most, it is only about racking up points and nobody does it better than Plushy.

macemace1980

Rinkside
Evgeni is too strong, too good.
I didn't expect him so much at this competition, but I was totally wrong.

I guess the other skaters who are considered as medalists for the Olympic game such as Evan, Patrick, Daisuke and Brian ecc are like
" Oh no, Evgeni, why did you come back? You already got a gold medal, didn't you?"

I love it I love it!Now to be the winner, Quad must be needed!
Programmes with quads are more exciting.

Also, the range of marks on transitions is hilarious. 2.5 points difference between the lowest (6.00) and the highest (8.50).

It's even worse for IN, ranging from 6.50 to two times 9.00 (who are these 2 latter guys? they shouldn't be judging)

The one that gave 8.50 had to smoke something heavy... Seriously, he/she should be warned about this!

If anyone is interested, here are the criteria for a judging "anomaly" that triggers a rewiew of the score of an individual judge. (Scroll down to page 6 for a detailed example.)

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-179496-196714-109543-0-file,00.pdf

Basically, they allow a deviation from the average of plus or minus 1.5 points for each program component. The average is the trimmed mean (throw out highest and lowest) of the scores of all seven jdges (no random draw, so the average will not in general be the same as the average listed in the right-hand column in the protocols.). The "deviation" is not the statistical standard deviation, but just the difference of the particular judges' score from the average.

However, if I am reading this right, an "anomaly" occurs only for the total program component scores (with pluses and minuses tallied separately.). So the investigation procedure would not be set in motion unless a judge were off by a combined 7.5 points in total PCSs. compared to average.

There is a similar formula for the total GOEs.

I think the procedure is that if a judge accumulates three anomalies then he/she has to go up before a disciplinary committee. Before any punishment is handed out (such as reduction in judging assignments, etc.), the judge has an opportunity to justuify his/her marks, including bringing in video tapes and the like.

Last edited: