Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Men Free Program

Banned
    Plushenko's interview in English after LP:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Fig.../ID=1306772363

He said he might compete in next season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jaws12345 View Post
    Plushenko's interview in English after LP:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Fig.../ID=1306772363

He said he might compete in next season as well.
    That link didn't work for me. I had to use this instead:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Fig.../ID=1306820483

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    I've just finished watching Plushy's LP. Is he serious about that Tango Amore? It looks almost like a parody, with a bit of Joubert mockery, re the hip thrusts posture.
    I had a good laugh
    I laughed, but then I was just disgusted with his program. I don't know what I found the most horrible part: The 'tango' moves and hip thrusts, the moment he grabs his face, or when he holds up his hand with his finger up as 'number 1' after landing a jump!!! I admit - the jumps are magnificent - but that's all there is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt View Post
    I laughed, but then I was just disgusted with his program. I don't know what I found the most horrible part: The 'tango' moves and hip thrusts, the moment he grabs his face, or when he holds up his hand with his finger up as 'number 1' after landing a jump!!! I admit - the jumps are magnificent - but that's all there is!!!
    The moment in the footwork when he touches his face was the most horrible, IMO. It was disgusting! The number 1 sign was a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    In creativity research, one method used to evaluate creative works is to go to a number of experts and have them judge it (separate from each other) on various criteria, and then look to see if they are in agreement with each other about the merits (or lack thereof). Interjudge reliability does tend to be pretty high in such studies. I wonder what the reliability would be for judges scores' if we calculated it. Who's up for some SPSS fun, then?
    It's very tricky. We are trying to apply statistical methods to qualitites rather than to quantities. The question is -- what exactly do we want to measure?

In studies like the ones you describe, yes, we can measure the degree of agreement among the judges. And when we finish our analysis, that is what we have learned. That this panel of judges was in more substantial agreement than was that panel of judges. Or that there was substantial agreement among judges that Kozuka's skating skills were superior to Van der Perren's, but that there was less agreement on the question of whether Weir's transitions were better than Mroz's.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys
    Other things like Skating quality, Transitions, etc. (and of course the Technical aspects) should follow objective guidelines; the subjectivity regarding the scale should be minimized (i.e. the sampling variation/error). It is very much a statistical problem if judges are to generally agree with the scale (e.g. what constitutes exceptional, superior, fair, or poor.)
    To me, that is the crux of the matter. Your post raises two issues. First, subjectivity is not at all the same as sampling error. One can mitigate sampling error (statistical “noise”) by expanding the panel of judges, for instance. But that will not address the issue of subjectivity.

The second problem is this. Although there are well-established statistical methods for measuring the degree of agreement among judges, I do not see any reliable and robust statistical method for deciding whether the judges are in agreement with objective criteria. The only thing I can think of is to ask some super judges what they think of the judging, then ask some super-duper judges what they think of the super judges' evaluation of the judges. This kind of expert oversight, however, has nothing to do with statistics, that I can see.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Now I cant what til cup of china becuase in the past two gps the world medalist has not beem on the podium ; and a 2nd tier(Adam;Artem) has snuck in for the bronze if the patter follows Evan will end up 4th nock on wood

Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    ...And how do you feel about any 2 judges liking a skater's program exactly the same? Those two '9s guys', the Russian and the Ukrainian judge, were in perfect sync on all the 5 program fs components of a certain skater: 8.75 and 8.75 for SS, 7.75 and 7.75 for TR, 9.00 and 9.00 on PE, 8.50 and 8.50 on CH, and finally 9.00 and 9.00 for IN.

What do stats say about chances of two great minds thinking alike?
    My statistical analysis says these two judges are outright crooks. A 9 in interpretation? Interpretation?!

Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Now I cant what til cup of china becuase in the past two gps the world medalist has not beem on the podium ; and a 2nd tier(Adam;Artem) has snuck in for the bronze if the patter follows Evan will end up 4th nock on wood
    The worst Evan can place in this field is second. Seriously. Same goes for Skate America. He has got the easiest fields in the entire GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    My statistical analysis says these two judges are outright crooks. A 9 in interpretation? Interpretation?!
    im curious about that too; Even if the ISU knew who the judges were can you fire volunteers; or is there a judging boot camp

Custom Title
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...feeling+strong

great article. he's feeling strong. i'm thrilled with his performance. no doubt, he should medal at the olympics and be a strong, strong threat for gold if he's healthy and on. he can up his difficulty a lot more.

loved what kazuka said about plush in another article: "The moment he took the ice, I knew there was a real champion in front of me,'' said the 20-year Kozuka, whose free program to an electric guitar concerto showed impressive speed and tight-sit spins.

plush has what none other has got: a killer's instinct, determination in spades, showmanship, speed, quads, top-notch edges, an uncanny sense of air position, etc...

loved his long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    im curious about that too; Even if the ISU knew who the judges were can you fire volunteers; or is there a judging boot camp
    The ISU does know who the judges are, and they can fire volunteers. Someone could call them up before the ISU Ethics Committee.( )

Unfortunately, the ISU procedures for evaluating judging focuses more on judges who are out of line with their fellows, not on those who are following in lock step.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    The worst Evan can place in this field is second. Seriously. Same goes for Skate America. He has got the easiest fields in the entire GP.
    I think it depends on if Evan is focusing totally on peaking for nationals and olympics; Oda; Sameul; Clean Ponsero: Clean Ten can beat a so so Evan
    doubt it though' just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    if he doesn't put pressure on himself to be technically equal to Plushy (or at least striving in that direction)... or if he doesn't let that World Champion thing go to his head...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Lol, I loved how he pointed his #1 finger at the crowd after his 3/3 sequence & then at the end at the judges. What nerve, what guts, what passion, what verve!
    And if Patrick Chan did the same, it would be "What a jerk!".
    I thought it was in line with his whole program...tacky. I liked the jumps but the skating around like a hockey player before them, not so much.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Plushenko didn't get a "!" call for his Flip. That is ridiculous.

The protocol also lists the 3Sal as being the last element of his FS, when it actually came after the Lutz?

At least the Program Component Scores weren't as ridiculous as they could have been. The judges justly graded him significantly lower in Transitions. Thank GOD!

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast