Medusa

Record Breaker
Evgeni PLUSHENKO
TES: 81.15
PCS: 76.80
FS: 157.95
1st place overall

....and Plush squishes the competition like a bug. :bow:
Honestly, that's a beatable score. For Chan, for Takahashi, for Oda - for Verner, Lambiel and Joubert if they have the decency to get their act together.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
At least Oda's score was higher overall. If Plushenko comes back and cruises to a gold medal, I'll be very disappointed. And that seems more and more likely.

I would not call his FS cruising today. It will be a fight for the gold medal. We know what Oda and the rest of the field can do.

Diva

On the Ice
He just got 6.95 for transitions, 7.60 for choreo, 7.80 IN, 8.00 SS and 8.05 PE... Can someone remember the ones from Torino, hasn't he got 8's all around?

oxade21

Match Penalty
LOL, the thing is NOBODY can actually land them.
At least the judges keep it interesting and nobody can scream overscored today. But head-to-head, tonight's Plushy would beat TEB's Oda.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Well, that's it. Plushy wins everything, and I don't even see a reason to watch men's skating anymore until he's left again. Hopefully Stephane will see this for what it is and decide not to waste his time and endanger his body supporting such a charade. Maybe he can even persuade Johnny to come with him and leave the other men to their fate.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Honestly, that's a beatable score. For Chan, for Takahashi, for Oda - for Verner, Lambiel and Joubert if they have the decency to get their act together.

It's a decent score for someone's who been off the scene for 3 seasons. Anywyas, I have a feeling that Plushenko would only improve as the season goes on and he gets less rusty.

And if he gets more mileage on his programs (and wins Euros or something), momentum willl add even more padding to his score.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Wow, the King is the King:bow:

Takahiko, when I watched his LP first, I worried that this music had no climax and could not help him. But he made this program such a beautiful one:clap:

oxade21

Match Penalty
He just got 6.95 for transitions, 7.60 for choreo, 7.80 IN, 8.00 SS and 8.05 PE... Can someone remember the ones from Torino, hasn't he got 8's all around?

See at least the judging is fair. He got what he deserved.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh, I think there's hope yet. 157 is not crazy high, and the overall score may have been a bit inflated because of the excitement of Plushenko's return combined with the comparatively weak field (sort of like Lambiel at Nebelhorn). There's more than one way to get good scores these days; I think Plushenko is a favorite but not the favorite.

Hsuhs said:
I bet Zhenya himself doesn't see it that way. He prob thinks he's showing something beautiful there.
There are a lot of delusional people in figure skating. Just today I read that Kevin Reynolds is trying to channel his inner artist! Compared to that bit of wackiness, for Plushy to think his LP is beautiful is quite reasonable. :biggrin:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i loved his long!!!!! seriously it's one of his best, imho. well, it's beatable... but take into account that he's not had any serious feedback from the judges for years about the new COP. so maybe his levels can only go up from here.

you can't compare one competition to another. oda had 163, but do you think after plush did what he did, that he'd score that high? maybe, maybe not. it's a good damn score for his first outing. he was great!

oxade21

Match Penalty
It's a decent score for someone's who been off the scene for 3 seasons. Anywyas, I have a feeling that Plushenko would only improve as the season goes on and he gets less rusty.

And if he gets more mileage on his programs (and wins Euros or something), momentum willl add even more padding to his score.

I also suspect that he will include a second quad by Vancouver.

life684

Final Flight

yes very beatable score for takahashi and others, but can they hold up when they are competing against Plushy, and further more will judges score the same way for other guys when plushy throws those 4-3's and 3A's. surely they have to consider the quads when judging the programs.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I would not call his FS cruising today. It will be a fight for the gold medal. We know what Oda and the rest of the field can do.

My bad, I wasn't clear. To me, Plushenko could earn the gold medal due solely to confidence. He knows he's good, he has nothing left to prove, and it seems like this guy skates without any pressure affecting him. That mental toughness is admirable to behold and if he's deserving in the end, that's what he should get. But I like my Olympic narratives a little different than that, and given that Plushenko hasn't competed until this season, overall I'd be disappointed. I have to admit I don't entirely get the huge score he just posted - I don't care for his footwork (in the long - I sorta liked it in the short). That said, looking at Diva's comment on the PCS, they seem quite reasonable.

Last edited: