Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    What was tessa's od twizzle issue? Scott sways a bit in the first twizzles and is behind Tessa in the second. Scott sometimes has a curvier axis on his twizzles than Tessa. What was her error - I'm distracted when I watch.

It's the second set of twizzles in the OD- Tessa doesn't get tall enough over her skates and almost loses it. One judge gave them -1 and a couple gave 0 GOE.

Custom Title
    D/W got L3 on their two step sequences, the same as V/M. So if D/W improves that to L4, even if V/M improve theirs, they still remain par or above.

BTW, last week at TEB, V/M looked indignant when they saw their FD scores. They obviously were expecting them to be much higher.

IMO, it's good for both D/W and V/M to push each other. That way, neither team can afford to become complacent or assume they're already the best they can be.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    D/W got L3 on their two step sequences, the same as V/M. So if D/W improves that to L4, even if V/M improve theirs, they still remain par or above.

BTW, last week at TEB, V/M looked indignant when they saw their FD scores. They obviously were expecting them to be much higher.

IMO, it's good for both D/W and V/M to push each other. That way, neither team can afford to become complacent or assume they're already the best they can be.
    V/M had slight twizzle mishaps in OD/FD, and a little mishap on Scott's lift in the FD (for which a judge gave a -1).

D/W's posture issues aren't getting a lot of attending to by their coaches. Even in the most obscure places, eg. look at the way Meryl Davis comes off the second set of twizzles- really not good. Tessa OTOH, centrally aligned, broad arch in the shoulders, and that's probably why D/W get their twizzles so fast. But I guess they can bank on getting L4s to beat their opponents, as always, considering that's really all they do better than anyone.
    Last edited by Enthusiast; 10-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Custom Title
    If they look 'indignant' to you, then D/W (Meryl, especially) must also look peeved, p-o'd, at her marks in the KnC(2008 4CC OD, 08 CD,...). Same goes for Yuko Kawaguchi. Even your oh-so-beloved Rachael Flatt has had her share of eye-rolling.
    Last edited by Enthusiast; 10-25-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Custom Title
    D/W - I agree with the poster that said this program seems somewhat of a step back for them after last year's FD which was one of the best in the field. Boring, unimaginative mucis cuts! And to me they didn't even appear to be skating much *to* the music - though with such crappy music, I don't blame them...

Their speed and extension looks good in most places, and I guess that is principally what they are aiming to improve at this point.

I don't think it was that they were expecting them to be higher. I think they were confused about where the -2.00 deduction came from. It was more confusion and concern that anything else, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I don't think it was that they were expecting them to be higher. I think they were confused about where the -2.00 deduction came from. It was more confusion and concern that anything else, IMO.
    I would believe that more.

And I doubt you always tell what people are thinking / feeling by their facial expressions. Especially on TV / Computer, after the athletes completed an exhausting free program, are still breathing heavily, are perhaps in some pain...

I would hold accusations like those back - he/she/they look arrogant / miffed / mad / sad.

Custom Title

BTW- no they didn't look "indignant". they looked shocked at the -2. Tessa mouthed 'minus 2!' and Scott shot a look at Marina. That's what caught their attention. Not the 97.something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    V/M's outing of the OD and FD @ TEB wasn't perfect...a shaky lift from Scott in the FD, Scott's twizzle problem in the FD, and Tessa's twizzle problem in the OD. ALL things that will be corrected as the season progresses, along with the L3 step sequences.
    And Tessa's two foot dismount from the free hand lift, and an awkward position transition in the final pose.

Custom Title
    I know the logic of it, but I love the fact that our defense of Virtue/Moir is listing off how many more mistakes they made than Davis/White. Rather amusing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    And Tessa's two foot dismount from the free hand lift, and an awkward position transition in the final pose.
    Yes, something I hope they really will fix by their next GP!

On the Ice
    I will admit I had my suspicions about D/W's FD when it was first announced. Not because I don't like the music of Phantom of the Opera, just that I was hoping their FD would be a different style of music. However, watching the Nebelhorn video and now this competition, I really love this program. I know Susie Wynn made the comment that she is now seeing them as more than just technical skaters, but I really believe their transformation started with the Eleanor Rigby FD. That performance at US Nationals that year was unbelievable. They have been steadily improving and building since then.

Congrats to C/L and R/S for medalling. I really like R/S and I prefer them over D/S and K/N just because they have such charm about them that really makes me like them.

C/P have talent and they will be a top team in the future, but I just can't get into their programs other than the CDs. For some reasons, I really like their performances in the CDs. I really enjoyed their Tango. I jus haven't really liked any of their ODs or FDs so far.

Custom Title
    I'm not usually into ice dance, but Meryl and Charlie really tore up the field.
    Nice going !!

Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    D/W - I agree with the poster that said this program seems somewhat of a step back for them after last year's FD which was one of the best in the field.
    I didn't want to say anything until I saw it for myself. Since I haven't been feeling too terrific the last week and I slept most of yesterday away, I had to wait until last night and the CBC re broadcast on Bold. Good thing I was already sitting on the floor, otherwise...

I'm stunned. Really and truly stunned. It's like they haven't taken one step backwards, but five or six!! Marina really and truly has done them a disservice giving them this program for the Olympic year. Still can't quite believe it.

OTOH...I simply adored Vanessa and Paul's FD. Gave me the chills and considering Paul was so sick...Kudos to him for going out there at all!! Love, love, love this thing and looking forward to seeing it progress over the Season.

Custom Title
    Where's the disservice part? Their great scores? Their improved basic skating? Their improved presentation and conviction? Their improved polish and finish? Their improved speed and transitions?

I'm confused.

Unless we're about to wade into another conversation about how ice dancing programs need to be pressed into canvas, stapled to a frame and hung on a wall in an art museum or they're worth nothing. Or maybe it's more accurate to imagine them housed by Frank Guery or set up as an art installation somewhere downtown NYC. Then Marina would have done a proper job.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-28-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: swearing not allowed at GS

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast