Ladies LP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Congrats to medal winners and all the skaters.
My stream was so bad I turned it off . Thanks to all of you I felt almost like I was watching it.

I even think Ashley wuz robbed!!! :p :laugh:

Not reallly. Ashley did 5 triples with one < and slap with -2GOE edge call on the Lutz. Miki attempts, 6 triples and fall on her 2A+3T, so basically Miki has one more triple than Ashley and no Lip. I think the place ment is fair.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I'm very sad for Mao.
There was something wrong with her since the last Worlds. I think, everyone should support her now, because we all know that she is a great skater and what's happening now is that she has some bad times.

I don't think it was anybody's intention to destroy Mao's confidence. Things just didn't work out as the team had planned.

But I have a hunch that Mao will figure everything out by the Japanese Nationals and compete with Yuna, Miki, Ashley, Joannie and the rest of the bunch for OGM to become the 'come-back kid' of the season.

Hope you're right!!! :rock:

PftJump

On the Ice
ISU's reputation judging is infamous, and I think it has its merits and downsides.
I mean, you cannot ignore a skater's career for one mistake, but you can't also judge completely on one's reputation, right???

YES, I can't judge on someone's reputation.
BUT, I can judge the performance.
AND PCS is Program Component Score, not Reputation Score.
It mustn't be jugded before the competition.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I bought cinnamon-flavoured chocolate, it's a treat.

Ando looks much more relaxed than in previous seasons. The spiral sequence is still nothing to write home about, but in contrast to previous years it doesn't look painful anymore. The music choice is great, super idea, not overused but not too difficult to interpret. I also have to admit that I loved Ando's use of arms.

She got downgraded on two Triples in the short program - the score was surprisingly good for that. So a clean short with 3-3 fully rotated should get her far.

cima

Spectator
So can Mao no longer make the GPF?

Sad, but NO. If skaters want to make the GPF, they have to be like
1st - 1st (30pt)
1st - 2nd (28pt)
1st - 3rd (26pt)
1st - 4th (24pt)
2nd - 2nd (26pt)
2nd - 3rd (24pt)

Mao was 2nd in France and 5th in Russia, which means that she only got 20pt. She might have some chances to make the GPF if other skaters screw up with their GPs, like Carolina Kostner and even Mao herself, but that doesn't happen often.

My guess for the GPF would be Yuna, Joannie, Miki, Rachel, Ashley, and Yukari or Mirai or someone from Europe...maybe :p

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I bought cinnamon-flavoured chocolate, it's a treat.

Ando looks much more relaxed than in previous seasons. The spiral sequence is still nothing to write home about, but in contrast to previous years it doesn't look painful anymore. The music choice is great, super idea, not overused but not too difficult to interpret. I also have to admit that I loved Ando's use of arms.

She got downgraded on two Triples in the short program - the score was surprisingly good for that. So a clean short with 3-3 fully rotated should get her far.

I didn't see Miki today but have seen her new LP. I think it is very good choreo for her and think she will have a very good season once she settles into her new SP.
The chocolates sound so good. :yes: Think I will run out and get some for myself! There goes the old diet :p

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, I guess Morozov's poor relationships with Tarasova made him arrogant and ignorent in Mao's case. He shows he is not concerned about her whatsoever...

Well why should Morozov be concerned about Mao? He coaches Miki, and Mao is one of Miki's biggest rivals. But he doesn't have to make mean comments like that in public.

I'm sure he wants the Japanese federation to start getting behind Ando as well, as their best shot for OGM.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well why should Morozov be concerned about Mao? He coaches Miki, and Mao is one of Miki's biggest rivals. But he doesn't have to make mean comments like that in public.

I'm sure he wants the Japanese federation to start getting behind Ando as well, as their best shot for OGM.

Good points - but does Miki need to inherit the crazy pressure from the media and fans that has been placed on Mao?

katha

On the Ice

I must admit I don't understand why he would say such a thing as well. Is there a link to this quote? Wasn't he a few months ago (quite rightly) laying into the JSF and telling them to let Asada and TAT train in peace? Why such a sudden change? I thought he and Tarasova had made up years ago?

ETA: Yeah, Okami's version seems much more consistent with what he has been saying in the last few months.

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
Well, I guess Morozov's poor relationships with Tarasova made him arrogant and ignorent in Mao's case. He shows he is not concerned about her whatsoever...
Actually Morozov has very good relationship with Tarasova. They always talk with each other and often sit next to each other at competitions.

During the last season, Morozov frequently spoke in favour of Mao. He said that she should be rewarded more for attempting difficult jumps (after the LP at Japanese Nationals). And that she should not be pressurized so much by the media (a few times during the season).

He also gave Mao a standing ovation at World Team Trophy.

TAT spoke very well of Morozov in her commentary and she calls him "Kolya" - short form of "Nikolai" - a friendly way to address someone. They sat next to each other in the audience at Japan Open and according to Japanese fans, talked with each other a lot.

I think you are misreading what he said. I think that he meant that people are expecting too much of Mao and put way too much pressure on her, so it's no wonder than she keeps buckling under the pressure.

Miki said similar thing during a press conference after the LP (as reported on FSU).

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
Sad, but NO. If skaters want to make the GPF, they have to be like
1st - 1st (30pt)
1st - 2nd (28pt)
1st - 3rd (26pt)
1st - 4th (24pt)
2nd - 2nd (26pt)
2nd - 3rd (24pt)

Mao was 2nd in France and 5th in Russia, which means that she only got 20pt. She might have some chances to make GPF if other skaters screw up with their GPs, like Carolina Kostner and even Mao herself, but that doesn't happen often.

My guess for the GPF would be Yuna, Joannie, Miki, Rachel, Ashley, and Yukari or Mirai or someone from Europe...maybe :p

Yuna, joannie and Miki are consistent performers. Ashley and Mirai are prone to UR calls, Yukari was not convincing in her last outing, Rachel:needs to see how she will perform.

What helps Mao is athletes like cohen,who are only competing in one GP. if she finishes in top 2, she is acting as spoiler by cutting others points. If Carolina Kostner finishes second ahead of rachel she again could do spoilers job.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Still MAO thing?
Tonight, it's not about Score or Ranking.
IT'S ALL ABOUT SPOPTSMANSHIP!!
Her performance after First 3A-2T was just insulting Audiences and another player.
There is no will to skate, no sincerity, no GUTS!!.

70% of her Score was PCS score, and she defeats 7 skaters for that.
ISU's corruption was revealed obviously.
Maybe that's Mao's only achievement tonight.

Goodness' sakes. Give it a rest.
Where have you been for the past 10 years?
It's not exclusive to Mao.
Loads of top skaters have been held up by their artistic marks or PCS.

Give her a break, for god's sake.. :disapp:
I see what you mean by she had no will to skate after popping 3A-2T
but she's been skating under SO much pressure, and frankly I think she seemed
like she didnt want to be on the ice tonight.

ISU's reputation judging is infamous, and I think it has its merits and downsides.
I mean, you cannot ignore a skater's career for one mistake, but you can't also judge completely on one's reputation, right???

I agree.

Trewyn

Medalist
Can someone pretty please post the medal ceremony on youtube? I would love to see Ashley shine and smile :D.

Or a picture of the podium??

Alissa did well, but missed her chance to make a statement -- at least to the other U.S. girls -- because of the downgrades on her two triple loops. She lost more than 9 points right there.

(The fall on the flip? Stuff happens.)

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think part of Mao problem maybe that she is perfectionist, and when she make a mistake, it gets to her and mess up her head. I mean she is trying to keep her 3A intect (which is her signature jump and the reason she was trust into the spotlight since her junior years), trying to ger all complete triple jumps, namely the toe loop and salcow. On top of that fixing the flutz, maybe too much for her.

I mean we all get frustrated and try to work harder, when we are legging behind our rival and her approach maybe be not the right one.

On the bright side, missing GPF mean she will have time to sort out her problem and prepare fo the national and olympics.

silverlining

Rinkside
I just watched ladies LP and all I can say is,
What happened to Mao that I enjoyed watching until last season?

That did NOT look like Mao Asada, but more like Mao Zedung skating.

It looked like her confidence level was in the negative range and she wanted to be anywhere but on the ice.

It's heartbreaking to see any athlete suffer like that. Hope she rebounds soon.