Ladies LP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Jaws, thanks so much for posting the link to the CBC analysis, which was chiefly of Plushenko and Asada. For those of you who haven't watched it, the commentators, who included Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning, were admiring of Plushy and extremely concerned about Asada. I agreed with everything they said, and most of you have echoed their words and worries.

I agree with a lot of you on two points: she should use the piano version of the Rachmaninoff (Mathman, I agree that she seems to be skating at her own funeral with the orchestral version!); and she should get a full-time coach in Japan. I don't know what Tarasova is doing for her (or to her), but Mao needs someone who is both at her side and on her side, someone who can speak to her with a firmer voice than the treacherous whisper that her fears are using right now. She's not just any old skater: by virtue of her talent, she's one of the best and most memorable ladies to come along in some time, and it's skating's loss if she just fades away. Like YuNa, she's a treasure, and she has a lot to give to the sport. We should all wish the best for her; nobody benefits if she founders.

On the happy side, I'm so thrilled about Ashley and especially Alissa! When she's on (and standing up), she's such a thrill to watch, so attuned to the music with every nuance of movement. Dare I hope that this is her year?

ann918

Rinkside
her knees, edges and posture are as good as ever, so yes. I can ssee why us armchair fans also associate PCS=performance, however, doesn't the performance mark ALSO measure clarity of movement, line, good body alignment...?

What?! :confused:
Even if you're right about PCS being unrelated to failed jumps, (which I don't agree because I think the judges should reflect level of accomplishment of a performance in a skater's PCS)

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK she artistically performed well?
She didnt even look like she wanted to be there.
Her movements had no passion/commitment compared to her performances last year... serioulsy, it's painful to watch Mao and I really hope to see her well back on ice, but

her PCS score was inflated!! and that was damn unfair to other ladies.....

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if learning two new programs while trying to do a major jumping overhaul is the right move for Asada (and I think ditching Bells altogether would be a good thing.)
I think that Asada should either

1. Go back to Claire De Lune
2. Get a new long program

Or
1. Get a new short like Caprice
2. Go back to her 2007-2008 Long.

I actually thought that the poster who mentioned Japanese fans complaining about Mao's PCS, that the poster was suggesting that the Japanese fans thought that Mao's Pcs should have been lower than Miki's (for example)

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Even if you're right about PCS unrelated to failed jumps, (which I don't agree because I think the judges should reflect the level of accomplishment of the performance in a skater's PCS)

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK she artistically performed well?
She didnt even look like she wanted to be there.
Her movements had no passion/commitment compared to her performances last year... serioulsy, it's painful to watch Mao and I really hope to see her well back on ice, but

her PCS score was inflated!! and that was damn unfair to other ladies.....

Yep, I think Mao's PCS was fairly, justifiably deserved. :thumbsup::thumbsup::yes::yes::yes: There's a 'technical' side to the PCS too, maybe music choice isn't for her but her basic skills and skating quality far outshines many ladies, including Miki Ando! IMO

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think "Bells of Moscow" will be just fine if Mao does not make those technical mistakes. I think if she really works on it, it can become a very elegant and beautiful program in the classical style. I think she and Tarasova chose the music in part to show how Mao has matured and is no longer just the fairy princess from "Claire de Lune." Plus, I don't like the idea of recycling old programs.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Even if you're right about PCS being unrelated to failed jumps, (which I don't agree because I think the judges should reflect level of accomplishment of a performance in a skater's PCS)

Yes, ann, Now that is something I want to stress. Failed jumps, okay, that should be penalized in the TES which it did. Remember Tanith Belbin taking a horrible fall in the CD at Worlds in Sweden, and ended up with like the 2nd highest PCS that event. A performance may be marred by failed jumps but I think it's unfair, IMO to penalize a skater's PCS based on this. I think it's too 'easy" for girls like Leonova, Flatt to just get high PCS with such uninspiring, uncharismatic presentation level and just less than stellar basic skills, in skating and lines, body awareness, spazzy arm movements, just because a top-level skater had a few botched jumps (which again, is reflected already in the TES)IMO.

btw, I'm far from a Mao Asada fan, as I really have big problems with flutzers ie. Miki (well, she UR all her other jumps, just not the lutz, lol) and the American squad. Only Yu na and Joannie who don't get wrong edge calls I can appreciate, even though I'm still not sold on Joannie yet. Yu Na is such a goddess, she will just continue to destroy the field this season, hehe, and I prefer Alissa Czisny far more to the other American girls. IMO

;)

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
IMO, Alissa Czisny deserved better than 4th place. and what's up with Mao's crazy high PCS? Her overall TES is 9th but her PCS is 1st? I really don't get this. Whatever the circumstance may be, I think the judges made some horrible decision.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think "Bells of Moscow" will be just fine if Mao does not make those technical mistakes. I think if she really works on it, it can become a very elegant and beautiful program in the classical style. I think she and Tarasova chose the music in part to show how Mao has matured and is no longer just the fairy princess from "Claire de Lune." Plus, I don't like the idea of recycling old programs.

I agree that it is a beautiful program. I was thinking that Shizuka might have looked nice with it. But Mao is doing not bad, either.

Although I would have wished her to skate in happier, lovelier music, the piano version is very nice as Medusa said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSO6dfTgVOY
It has delicate nuances and more variation in tempo and melody.

silverlining

Rinkside
I read in another forum that even some of Mao fans are unhappy about her high PCS scores. The reason? Because now they can't complain when Yu-na gets a high PCS in future events. :)

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I agree that it is a beautiful program. I was thinking that Shizuka might have looked nice with it. But Mao is doing not bad, either.

Although I would have wished her to skate in happier, lovelier music, the piano version is very nice as Medusa said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSO6dfTgVOY
It has delicate nuances and more variation in tempo and melody.

I actually dislike Ashkenazy's version, too light... perhaps another version like Rubinstien's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTe6-kj5zRI&feature=related

or somewhat different tempo like Godowsky's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vDO2xm-Zs&feature=related

But I like the orchestral version so it doesn't matter which. I think it is a very sophisticated piece of music and can be a wonderful music for a FS.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I actually dislike Ashkenazy's version, too light... perhaps another version like Rubinstien's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTe6-kj5zRI&feature=related

or somewhat different tempo like Godowsky's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vDO2xm-Zs&feature=related

But I like the orchestral version so it doesn't matter which. I think it is a very sophisticated piece of music and can be a wonderful music for a FS.
I like Ashkenazy for being sensitive. Godowsky's version sounds very different. Interesting.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
figurejennah and R.D.,
I meant most Japanse fans reckon that PCS were too high.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
PPL here really don't know why Mao got such a high PCS? The judges tried to make a spot for Mao, for Tokyo GP final. that's it. period! I don't think this will happen in olympics.

I would say they weren't trying hard enough if that was really the case because 5th and a 2nd place is mostly likely not going to be enough to qualify for GPF. I do suppose giving her a PCS of something like 80 in the LP would have looked a little suspicious, though.

Last edited:

Gee

Rinkside
I would say they weren't trying hard enough if that was really the case because 5th and a 2nd place is mostly likely not going to be enough to qualify for GPF. I do suppose giving her a PCS of something like 80 in the LP would have looked a little suspicious, though.

And placing in the top 5 in the overall standings for men isn't? *cough yuna* She is ridicuously overscored in PCS. Her so called facial expressions is either a smile or a big ;O;....

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I just got home from work, and just about the only thing I can do about the results is :eek: for a number of reasons:

1. Mao not making the podium in a weak field.
2. Mao not scoring above 100 in the free skate.
3. Mao not making the GPF.
4. Mao only getting credit for 2 triples in her free skate.

What the heck is going on with her? Is it nerves? Does she feel uncomfortable out there? Whatever it is her team has GOT to figure it out before it's too late, I really don't want the same thing that happened to Kimmie to happen to Mao, my heart would break :cry:.

At least there were some positives:

1. Leonova won her first GP medal
2. Ashley won her first GP silver medal (which puts her into the running for the GPF)
3. Alissa had a semi-decent free skate

All I can say is what a competition!

Phoenix347

Final Flight
And placing in the top 5 in the overall standings for men isn't? *cough yuna* She is ridicuously overscored in PCS. Her so called facial expressions is either a smile or a big ;O;....

Uh, I wasn't talking about Yuna at all... why are you bring her up in this discussion? All I said was that I thought that poster's theory about the judges trying to make sure that Mao makes to the GPF was highly unlikely.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
please keep the discussion on the skating/skaters and not on each other. take personal issues off the board.

*Sniper*

On the Ice

Gee, below is your own post from Oct. 17, 09.

Her facial expressions this year HAS really improved. Last yea was like 'O' that 'O' this 'O' everything... thank god its gone from yuna. Hopefully mao doesn't use that 'O' as much..
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=416858#post416858

Or is there a difference between ;O; and 'O'?
And why are you bringing her into this conversation in the first place??
Yes, she received high PCS, but at least she skated cleanly. :unsure:

Last edited:

koongpa

Rinkside
I guess somebody's pretty upset because the skater he's rooting for now won't be at Japan for GPF. Come on, don't bring Yuna into this, it just makes you look bad