Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Why can't she just go for the piano version? It's so beautiful.
    The winning post! The piano version is more powerful than the full orchestra droning on, which makes Mao look like she is skating at her own funeral.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Hi CharlotteElizabeth,

I think Mao's PCS was right on.

..... So... you think that her performance was just as good as her 2008 world FS performance???? huh? I think that she needs a realistic view on herself to fix everything. Mao Mao... where is my nocturne Mao...??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by figurejennah View Post
    ..... So... you think that her performance was just as good as her 2008 world FS performance???? huh? I think that she needs a realistic view on herself to fix everything. Mao Mao... where is my nocturne Mao...??
    her knees, edges and posture are as good as ever, so yes. I can ssee why us armchair fans also associate PCS=performance, however, doesn't the performance mark ALSO measure clarity of movement, line, good body alignment...?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    I think they were on the point.... like talking about Asada and to ditch that program..
    Kurt actually said (and said that he didn't say it lightly right on television) that Mao HAD to get rid of that program. Tracy agreed.

Mao said after SP she is not tired and may be mental.

I agree that switching to piano is the easiest way to address people's concerns about LP. The team also seems to be thinking of changing SP. But I wonder how willing Mao and TAT really are to make many changes after having decided that these should be the best choices when skated cleanly.
    Last edited by Bennett; 10-24-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Jaws, thanks so much for posting the link to the CBC analysis, which was chiefly of Plushenko and Asada. For those of you who haven't watched it, the commentators, who included Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning, were admiring of Plushy and extremely concerned about Asada. I agreed with everything they said, and most of you have echoed their words and worries.

I agree with a lot of you on two points: she should use the piano version of the Rachmaninoff (Mathman, I agree that she seems to be skating at her own funeral with the orchestral version!); and she should get a full-time coach in Japan. I don't know what Tarasova is doing for her (or to her), but Mao needs someone who is both at her side and on her side, someone who can speak to her with a firmer voice than the treacherous whisper that her fears are using right now. She's not just any old skater: by virtue of her talent, she's one of the best and most memorable ladies to come along in some time, and it's skating's loss if she just fades away. Like YuNa, she's a treasure, and she has a lot to give to the sport. We should all wish the best for her; nobody benefits if she founders.

On the happy side, I'm so thrilled about Ashley and especially Alissa! When she's on (and standing up), she's such a thrill to watch, so attuned to the music with every nuance of movement. Dare I hope that this is her year?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    her knees, edges and posture are as good as ever, so yes. I can ssee why us armchair fans also associate PCS=performance, however, doesn't the performance mark ALSO measure clarity of movement, line, good body alignment...?

What?!
    Even if you're right about PCS being unrelated to failed jumps, (which I don't agree because I think the judges should reflect level of accomplishment of a performance in a skater's PCS)

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK she artistically performed well?
    She didnt even look like she wanted to be there.
    Her movements had no passion/commitment compared to her performances last year... serioulsy, it's painful to watch Mao and I really hope to see her well back on ice, but

her PCS score was inflated!! and that was damn unfair to other ladies.....
    Last edited by ann918; 10-24-2009 at 08:25 PM.

I'm not sure if learning two new programs while trying to do a major jumping overhaul is the right move for Asada (and I think ditching Bells altogether would be a good thing.)
    I think that Asada should either

1. Go back to Claire De Lune
    2. Get a new long program

Or
    1. Get a new short like Caprice
    2. Go back to her 2007-2008 Long.

I actually thought that the poster who mentioned Japanese fans complaining about Mao's PCS, that the poster was suggesting that the Japanese fans thought that Mao's Pcs should have been lower than Miki's (for example)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ann918 View Post
    What?!
    Even if you're right about PCS unrelated to failed jumps, (which I don't agree because I think the judges should reflect the level of accomplishment of the performance in a skater's PCS)

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK she artistically performed well?
    She didnt even look like she wanted to be there.
    Her movements had no passion/commitment compared to her performances last year... serioulsy, it's painful to watch Mao and I really hope to see her well back on ice, but

her PCS score was inflated!! and that was damn unfair to other ladies.....

Yep, I think Mao's PCS was fairly, justifiably deserved. There's a 'technical' side to the PCS too, maybe music choice isn't for her but her basic skills and skating quality far outshines many ladies, including Miki Ando! IMO

I think "Bells of Moscow" will be just fine if Mao does not make those technical mistakes. I think if she really works on it, it can become a very elegant and beautiful program in the classical style. I think she and Tarasova chose the music in part to show how Mao has matured and is no longer just the fairy princess from "Claire de Lune." Plus, I don't like the idea of recycling old programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ann918 View Post
    What?!
    Even if you're right about PCS being unrelated to failed jumps, (which I don't agree because I think the judges should reflect level of accomplishment of a performance in a skater's PCS)

Yes, ann, Now that is something I want to stress. Failed jumps, okay, that should be penalized in the TES which it did. Remember Tanith Belbin taking a horrible fall in the CD at Worlds in Sweden, and ended up with like the 2nd highest PCS that event. A performance may be marred by failed jumps but I think it's unfair, IMO to penalize a skater's PCS based on this. I think it's too 'easy" for girls like Leonova, Flatt to just get high PCS with such uninspiring, uncharismatic presentation level and just less than stellar basic skills, in skating and lines, body awareness, spazzy arm movements, just because a top-level skater had a few botched jumps (which again, is reflected already in the TES)IMO.

btw, I'm far from a Mao Asada fan, as I really have big problems with flutzers ie. Miki (well, she UR all her other jumps, just not the lutz, lol) and the American squad. Only Yu na and Joannie who don't get wrong edge calls I can appreciate, even though I'm still not sold on Joannie yet. Yu Na is such a goddess, she will just continue to destroy the field this season, hehe, and I prefer Alissa Czisny far more to the other American girls. IMO

Last edited by Enthusiast; 10-24-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Custom Title
    IMO, Alissa Czisny deserved better than 4th place. and what's up with Mao's crazy high PCS? Her overall TES is 9th but her PCS is 1st? I really don't get this. Whatever the circumstance may be, I think the judges made some horrible decision.
    Last edited by Basics; 10-24-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    I think "Bells of Moscow" will be just fine if Mao does not make those technical mistakes. I think if she really works on it, it can become a very elegant and beautiful program in the classical style. I think she and Tarasova chose the music in part to show how Mao has matured and is no longer just the fairy princess from "Claire de Lune." Plus, I don't like the idea of recycling old programs.
    I agree that it is a beautiful program. I was thinking that Shizuka might have looked nice with it. But Mao is doing not bad, either.

Although I would have wished her to skate in happier, lovelier music, the piano version is very nice as Medusa said.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSO6dfTgVOY
    It has delicate nuances and more variation in tempo and melody.

On the Ice
    I read in another forum that even some of Mao fans are unhappy about her high PCS scores. The reason? Because now they can't complain when Yu-na gets a high PCS in future events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I agree that it is a beautiful program. I was thinking that Shizuka might have looked nice with it. But Mao is doing not bad, either.

Although I would have wished her to skate in happier, lovelier music, the piano version is very nice as Medusa said.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSO6dfTgVOY
    It has delicate nuances and more variation in tempo and melody.
    I actually dislike Ashkenazy's version, too light... perhaps another version like Rubinstien's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTe6-...eature=related

or somewhat different tempo like Godowsky's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vDO...eature=related

But I like the orchestral version so it doesn't matter which. I think it is a very sophisticated piece of music and can be a wonderful music for a FS.
    Last edited by Phoenix347; 10-24-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: correct grammatical errors and inserted couple of words

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast