Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Feelings, Reflections, on the competition in general

Hybrid View

Thoughts, Feelings, Reflections, on the competition in general

I would have to say that I was very disappointed with the competition. Usually the Cup of Russia is where all of the top skaters go to compete during the Grand Prix, and instead all of the fields were especially weak.

Plushenko won with his usual well, 'crap' , same program, and similar sounding music. I swear you could interchange any of his programs with any music and it will be the same program.
    Last edited by cloudkicker09; 10-24-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Poor Granny. :(

Rinkside
    Ashley was awesome

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    Plushenko won with his usual well, 'crap' , same program, and similar sounding music. I swear you could interchange any of his programs with any music and it will be the same program.
    Well, I agree....but then again, he's not like the ONLY skater who can be accused of such.

Anyways, I think Mao's off-podium finish is the biggest shocker--she gets the silver in a field as deep as TEB, but finished 5th in a field as weak as CoR? If anything, I thought she'd medal here in Russia but fail to make the podium at Paris.

I wonder what the JSF is going to do.

take off the oven mitts
    i pray the japanese media does not start camping outside miki's apartment, transferring the monkey to her back. i pray.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i pray the japanese media does not start camping outside miki's apartment, transferring the monkey to her back. i pray.
    I second this. But at least we can hope it will be easier the second time around.

Posted elsewhere but belongs here

From Johnny's twitter:

"Very embarrassed about today. Don't know what happened. I apologize to all my fans for the way I performed. Next one will be better."

Poor Johnny, I just want to give him a hug

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Takahiko Kozuka's short program to 'Bold as love' is incredible. His skating skills are to die for.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    Posted elsewhere but belongs here

From Johnny's twitter:

"Very embarrassed about today. Don't know what happened. I apologize to all my fans for the way I performed. Next one will be better."

Poor Johnny, I just want to give him a hug
    Aw that's sad. He doesn't owe anyone an apology. His true fans would appreciate him regardless of how he skates.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i think she is used to this monkey by now- or i hope so. with asada flaliling fast i think miki may get this new attention again slowly

I am very, very happy for Ashley. There is something so likeable about her.

And would I love to watch the US nationals

Rinkside
    I saw the future for Ashley
    Her program and herself were just adorable.

But it was not interesting as I thought it would be.

Custom Title
    IT could have been better--the women was a washout,

to me _ashley could have won provided she fought more--but she also lucked out by not having her jumps in the short downgraded and her combo in the long downgraded. but She has improved in quality of jumps than now you can tell when she urs versus before-she is doing better on her jumps. still needs to improved artistry-show more emotion and herself when she is skating.
    If she fought more,s he could have won with how everyone was skating.

Alissa-improved and fell behind since nelbelhorn-how to me in the long -when she landed the jumps she wasn't sure on-she changed edges and wobbled, the jumps she knew she could land she fought for those landings and seemed more secure. her interpretation was better-. She needs to fight more -be more secure in knowing she can land those jumps._She could have won to with all the messups.
    Miki-could have skated better-she was decent-but not great, she needs to improve artistry and jumps,Nikola should keep his mouth shut.
    Wasn't miki suppose to skate in the Japan open and than backed out? i am not sure. She should have been more ready and skated like she wanted to take charge. she just skated .Miki didn't skate competition ready.
    I would like to see how miki would have skated 3 competitions in a row.

Julie-also could have won-she had those landings on 4 jumps but seemed like she gave up.

Mao--needed to rest--she willed herself to skate the short and long and could tell by the long she had nothing left to give. Yes her mind was willing but her body wasn't ready . Yes she needs to rely on overall but to me there was nothing wrong, she was just tired. She isn't done, at least not yet. If she skates like this latter on in the season (nationals-than maybe but not after skating in japan open, oct4-7, teb-17-18 and now rostelecom cup .

Johnny-personally i think the angel program worked better for gregory and petukhov than for johhny. johnny just complitmented the program.

takaho-keep working practicing.

Evgengy--decent job- in the long, better than expected in short.

Davis white--totally improved since nebelhorn, will give belbin and agosto a run for the money at nationals. is in run for oly title as well as virture and moir
    but overall --okay

also decent cop scoring overall -girls especially us girls in short jumps overlooked. for ashley-105-107 in long, alissa a 96-97 in long.
    but overall -i think skaters are holding back to peak at olympics

Shoe Diva
    I actually enjoyed this competition...

Ladies: Love Miki and love this program. She's just so much fun to watch! Congrats on your gold - to match that dress of course!

Great job by Ashley - my only complaint with her is that she has a tendency to look like she's play acting at being a figure skater... like Buffy's little sister in Ice Princess. It's weird and hard to explain because while her joy is very evident - the character development piece looks forced. I don't know... I might just need coffee...

Alyssa... what can I say? I keep waiting for her to stop competiting and start doing artistic coaching to assist the newbies with their finishing and expression. Ashley should sign up first. But I do love to watch her spin...

Dance: Loved Davis & White. I hate the Phantom of the Opera and loved this program so much that I just pretended it was Les Miz for the first two minutes so I could just enjoy the skating... US Nationals will be interesting. I doubt they will overtake B/A but ice dance will be finally be interesting again...

Men: SInce my idea of classical music IS Jimi Hendrix - I can't get enough of Taka's short! So awesome!

Johnny - sorry for him, espcially since he seems to have lost his zazazu on the ice - but hopefully his interview is true and he will take that anger and make it hot for nationals. I would hate to see him off the podium at Nationals and miss another shot at an olympic medal.

Plushy - what can I say? I love this guy. I love his swag. I love his jumps. Heck, I even love his haircut... he's PLUSHY!!! And the I'm #1 thing... LOVED IT!!! Give him a break - he's been gone for three years, probably wasn't sure how the skate would go and hit the ice like he'd never left. In front of the hometown. That's hot. Was the skate perfect? No. Did his choreo move me? No. But did he remind the world that he's the king? YES!

And who are we kidding? He is number 1...(sorry Brian... but Plushy's back and you need to work harder...)

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Great job by Ashley - my only complaint with her is that she has a tendency to look like she's play acting at being a figure skater... like Buffy's little sister in Ice Princess. It's weird and hard to explain because while her joy is very evident - the character development piece looks forced.
    I really really understand this cause i had the very same feeling, while she was very pleasant to watch, during her lp that I remember mostly she looked like everything from smile to fingertips were according to schedule. I could never express it better like you did!How old is she?Maybe she will let herself more free as time pass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast