Thoughts, Feelings, Reflections, on the competition in general | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thoughts, Feelings, Reflections, on the competition in general

merrybari

Final Flight
Aw that's sad. :cry: He doesn't owe anyone an apology. His true fans would appreciate him regardless of how he skates.

I'm not even a Johnny fan but am sad he feels the need to apologize to those who are. I'm sure they don't expect it and feel disappointed FOR him not IN him.

Like his style or not, he's worked hard all his career. Hope he finds the joy again.

merrybari

Final Flight
Spoke about Johnny earlier. Will add this. He doesn't at all appear to be enjoying himself; he looks confused out there. He needs to be true to himself, but with all that's been going on in his life, I'm not sure he even knows what that is right now.

As for the competition itself, except for a few standouts, I was underwhelmed. Mostly a splatfest in the singles that was very distracting and disappointing. If I wasn't already an avid figure skating fan, this would've left me of a mind not to come again.

No denying Plushenko can jump, but skating is more than jumping for me and I don't think he has much else in his. Arrogance doesn't replace skill and is what put me off his skating the last time around. Same this time. As one poster said, I do hope his being in the mix imspires the others to step up their own games and that everyone brings their A-game to the ice the rest of the way out.

Delighted for both Ashley and Alissa! Ashley has one of the ingredients I loook for in skaters that has little to do with skill - joy!! It makes everything else shine a bit brighter. So happy that Alissa was able to hold the rest of her jumps together after the fall. I don't recall URs for her before, so am hopeful after the strengthening of her fighting spirit I saw here, she'll pull it all together next time. As opposed to EP she has all the skating skills for the other elements anyone could hope for. And a bit of the joy too. Hope to see that back in full force next time.

So disappointed for Mroz's SP. Glad he came back to fight for the free.

So so sad for Mao! I'm not sure TAT is the best all around coach for her though working with her has upped her expression level. Not sure they're a good mix headwise. Two strong-willed people each trying to prove they are right??? Not sure what's going on here. Mao needs to find the joy!

Davis/White - amazing!! Lyrical, expressive, energetic, joyful - the list goes on. Ice dancing at it's best! The rest of the field had better watch their backs.

Pairs - not a big fan for some reason, but M/B were a delight. I do think they are thinking too much sometimes - but a solid outing nonetheless this early. I enjoyed Kavaguti/Smirnov. She's sparkles! Pang/Tong - not so much - too serious for me, though can't doubt their ability. (See - that joy thing again for me :)

All disciplines are deep in the US and Nationals will be a real treat for skating fans. I think that along with those who are virtually guaranteed a spot on the Vancouver team, the fight for the remaining spots will be in for a few surprises.
Hopefully the striving will spur all skaters to get better not have the opposite affect and make them all a bundle of nerves instead.

Wagner and Rippon have really stepped up to the plate with their showing so far. Denney/Barrett in pairs are surely a threat, and I love Samuelson and Bates as well. Will be interested in the juniors coming up as well. Really glad I'll be spending that week in Spokane!!

Next up: Cup of China. Can't wait to see what is revealed there. Bring it! :clap:

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
Congrats to Miki and Ashley :rock:
My condolences to Julia and Mao :no:
That about sums it up the ladies field for me.. wasn't thrilled at any of their performances sadly.. Czisny's SP was personally the most enjoyable program throughout the whole ladies competition, enough said.

BTW that unbearable choreography from Plushenko.. what the hell??..
Still.. can't help to luv him on the ice :biggrin:

ae9177

On the Ice
After being spoiled by TEB, I have to say that overall Rostelecome Cup of Russia is lackluster.

But there're still a few highlights for me:

1) Pang and Tong. :clap: They're simply gorgeous to watch. I especially love their LP, the performance was so passionate, that was probably the only performance in the whole competition that truely touched my heart. :clap:

2) Davis and White. I was so looking forward to the showdown between Dom/Sha and D/W, as well as Plushy and Chan. Oh well... I couldn't care less about any competition dominated by just one person/team. But I have to say that D/W are great, if B/A can't bring their A game next week, D/W could very possably replace their position as the No.1 ice dance team in US.

3) Ashley, Alena, Miki and Alissa. Ashley is probably the biggest pleasant surprise in Moscow, her medal shakes up the whole situation of the US Olympic team selection.

I'm so tired of the whole Yuna/Mao debate, the ladies' competiton isn't just about Yuna and Mao, there're so many talents out there, they deserve some attention! :rock: And a big thumb up for Julia, :thumbsup: I have so much respect to this lady no matter where she ends up on the final list.

4) Plushy is back! His 4-3 and 3A are still the best in the field even after 3 years of break. But that's pretty much it. Probably the only other nice discovery here is Borodulin. It shows a good sign that Russian Men are back on track.

Hopefully Cup of China will be more exciting. Can't wait to see Shen and Zhao, miss them!

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed D&W's Indian OD-what a lot of detail they brought to it! It may or may not be true 'Indian', but it still was a dance with a fully realized theme, not just a collection of skills. :love:

And like Imaginary Pogue, they made me not hate Phantom for 4 minutes-perhaps an even greater achievement!

Re D&W as 2nd best team in the US (or not), the ISU (not icenetwork) overall standings were just updated:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wsdance.htm

For this week at least, D&W are the 2nd place team in the world. Next week, B&A will surely overtake them (barring a meltdown and K&N winning CoC). However for this week, they are tops.

Also, if you check D&W's bio, their best ever scores list shows that they got their highest international scores ever at Rostelecom Cup in both the CD, FD, and Overall. And very close in the OD.

This considering both the OD and FD have one fewer graded skill than last year. Checking out their PCS, they are much higher than last year. At Nebelhorn, I thought these scores were just an artifact of the system, but at a Grand Prix event, typically scores are lower than Worlds/Olympics.

They appear to be in prime physical shape, and are one of the few teams that had the power to have the 2nd iteration of their CD have the speed/size of the first.

It will be very interesting to see what B&A and K&N bring next week in dance!!

dancefan77

Rinkside
Dance: I thought it interesting that D/W had higher scores for presentation of their OD and FD than the technical elements. I think its awesome and just a testiment to all the hard work they have put in to improve their presentation and connection to each other. Shpilband and Zoueva have given them great material to work with this year.

I can't wait to see and compare B/A and K/N's programs at Cup of China.

Pairs: P/T look really good for so early in the season. I really like that FD and can't wait to see how it will look by the Olympics. K/S---I much preferred their SP version last year. This new version---not so much. Other than that I just can never get into their long programs. At this point, I prefer M/T over them. M/B--I really hope they get their act together. They are so talented but if they don't fix the technical side of their skating D/B could win the pairs title over them at Nationals.

Men: Not a fan of Plushenko but I do respect that he came out and did exactly what he had to do to win with almost a 4- year break from the sport. That is not an easy thing to accomplish. Weir and Mroz I feel bad for. I hope they can work hard and improve for later competitions.

Ladies: So happy for Wagner. She's improved a lot in her presentation, holding her moves, and better choreography. Congrats to Ando and Leonova for medalling. I feel sorry for Sebestyen. I was happy for her after the SP and was hoping she would hold on to win or medal. Sorry to see her drop off like that in the LP. Czisny---not a shocking result at all. She has struggled with her jumps for years now. I don't see her getting a spot on the Olympic team with inconsistent performances like this.

ETA: I am still stunned over how badly Asada is struggling. Tarasova should get a technician in there to help like Paul Wylie suggested. I would also think about maybe switching the LP because that heavy dramatic music doesn't seem to be helping Asada.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny---not a shocking result at all. She has struggled with her jumps for years now. I don't see her getting a spot on the Olympic team with inconsistent performances like this.

Well, at the same time, it wasn't a disaster either. It's only the beginning of the season. I thought she actually showed improvement in that she fought for the program after her fall, when normally she'd just deflate.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well the Rostelecom Cup was amazing. Congrats to Meryl Davis and Charlie White, what fantastic dances. Congrats also to Evgeny Plushenko as he skated two programs as if he never retired. they are already calling him the early favorite for Olympic gold but his scores are beatable. I am really worried for Mao Asada because of her fifth place finish she will most likely not advance to the Grand Prix Final. I think she is focusing to heavily on the triple axels and Congrats to Qing Pang and Jian Tong for getting the program components scores they deserve.

Also a shout out to Paul Wylie's return to television commentating!!!!!!!!!!

sillylionlove

Medalist
Kozuka....love this guy! Loved him in 2007 when I saw him live at Skate America....love him more in 2009 watching him on television. Oda and Takahashi.....be scared be very scared!! LOL

Wagner....surprised....wow I like her. I hope she continues to do well.

Pairs....are all the Russian teams looking at old G&G tapes???
M/B - Really need to get it together wih the jumps.
K/S - Am I the only one that really doesn't like them?

Davis and White- I loved the original dance. Usually I hate this part and after last week of a million russian folk songs and country western music I was like...geez can I handle it again? But they did something original and I really liked it. I almost want to call them the best team in the world right now! But if I do someone will probably rip into me for saying that....so I won't! LOL

Men - whoever said that Plushenko did the same cookie cutter routine.....yeah I agree with that. I so do not enjoy his skating. If he wins the Olympic Gold I might scream really loud so that they will hear it in Vancouver.

Weir - I feel so bad for him. He just can't seem to get it together. What's the deal? I sure hope that he steps it up next time.

Mao - what the??? Seriously..I am going to call her Mao Asada Kostner because this is a melt down of epic proportions. OK not epic but still really crappy. Good bye Grand Prix final....goodbye olympic medal????

Loving the commentary on Universal Sports...thanks for brining Paul back and thanks for telling them to shut up and only talk a tiny bit. LOVE IT!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can only comment on what was shown on the NBC broadcast, which were the top 4 men, the top 6 women, the LP of Brandon Mroz, and the FD of Davis/White.

I fell deeper in love with Kozuka from this competition. :bow: His LP music is exquisite, IMO, and I hope he is able to skate this program cleanly when it counts. :love: He and Davis/White were the highlights of this whole competition for me. The Japanese men (Dice, Taka, Nobu) are truly a powerhouse!

Davis/White displayed great speed and a very intriguing FD with powerful attack and difficult lifts and step sequences. I think they handled the character, power, and romanticism of this music very well, even with the slightly off ending to the program. I really look forward to how this program is presented in January and February. Love them so much! :love:

I really respect Evgeni Plushenko for being serious with his comeback and for the amazing shape he is in. I'm still not wild about his style and programs, but you have to respect his athleticism. I found his step sequences in the SP and the LP severely lacking and definitely not Olympic champion calibre. I can't believe all his footwork sequences acquired level 3. :confused: Cute interview with David Pelletier!

I LOVED Alena Leonova's expression! She is a great actress on the ice in my mind and her personality is infectious. She has charisma coming out of her pores . . . I find her so entertaining. :love: I know she didn't have the competition she wanted here and she could have done a lot better, but I totally love her ability to interpret the character of this music. Great job! :rock:

I like Ashley Wagner's improvements.

Brandon Mroz had a very respectable comeback in the LP, which was very nice to see. He will need to have a much better outing at the next GP meet to prove to the USFSA his case to be included on the Olympic team.

Mao looks totally lost and I hope she can find her way back. She's really been off track since the 2009 4CC. Her jump technique appears to be in shambles. :frown:

Johnny Weir really couldn't afford the 6th place performance he gave in the LP. I really hope he regroups in time for Nationals because it appears he blew a shot at making the GPF with his 4th place at RC.

Alissa Czisny still skates too timidly and still under-rotates her flip and loop jumps. The planned technical content is better than last season but she's still not accomplishing those jumps, and that will continue to destroy her prospects internationally. The spins as always are fabulous and a real highlight for her. I think it really projects a negative impression to the judges when a skater repeats a LP for a 2nd year and still struggles so much with the technical content. She shouldn't have to think about her non-jump elements because she knows that program so well, so the judges and the audience are going to expect to see better results with those jumps.

I loved Miki Ando's dress and I'm seeing small improvements in her artistry with the way she's being packaged with this new Cleopatra LP. She's such a beautiful woman! This LP I think is a step in the right direction for her and it's very nice to see. :)

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Davis/White displayed great speed and a very intriguing FD with powerful attack and difficult lifts and step sequences. I think they handled the character, power, and romanticism of this music very well, even with the slightly off ending to the program. I really look forward to how this program is presented in January and February. Love them so much! :love:

FYI, NBC did something weird with the audio of D/W's program when they broadcast it. I watched it live on IN and saw it again on Universal Sports. In the live and US broadcasts, there D/W actually finished a half beat after the music. On NBC, they played the last few notes of music twice in (I believe) an attempt to mask the very slightly flawed ending. In reality, it just made it seem like D/W finished really early. If you look them up on YT, you'll see what I mean.

BTW, I LOVED having Paul Wylie and Susie Wynn back calling skating. Maybe NBC has been reading our posts and got the message.

waxel

Final Flight
Very disappointing overall.

So far this season my biggest complaint is music, music, music. Many terribly inferior choices that lack any true musical integrity. And dear God ... NO MORE TANGOS.

The highlight of the entire competition for me was Taka's blurred scratch spin. When was the last time we saw anything even close to it? The most exciting moment of the event.

Plushy. Never liked him, still don't. I can't deny his consistency and the quality of his jumps, But also can't deny that his spins are grotesque. As others suggest, maybe he'll push other male skaters to greater heights- I hope so. Right now the entire Men's competition is on track to be a re-hash of 2006. Oh, and thanks Plush for not one but two tango (or Latin) music selections. Nice contrast. And all the 'I'm #1' crap was in bad taste. Speaking of bad taste --- well I can't even comment again on the bad haircut. And now he says he may never retire. Please just stab me in the face.

Alena Leonova is spunky alright. I don't like spunky.

Miki's costume is beautiful. Program and music? Neh.

Mao's descent is heartbreaking. Tarasova has ruined her.

Johnny used to own 3A/3T. What happened? I had such high hopes- and haven't given up- but there's just no forward momentum. Can he return?

Ashley's LP was lovely.

Love Davis/White. Don't love the programs. (Phantom was so much flailing about.)

K/S. Whay can't someone give that poor girl a makeover? She obviously goes to the same butcher ... er ... hair stylist as Plushy. Anyhow, don't know why K/S added that atrocious caterwauling vocal the the Black Swan. The beauty of the music is its sheer simpliciity. Maybe they always used this arrangement- but I don't recall that dying-cat screeching vocal.

So anyway, I love skating as much as anyone. But the music seems to get worse and worse and I guess that's why I'm just not feeling it so far this season. Won't give up- but hoping for big improvement.

If Kim and Plush are locks (and aren't they?), where will the excitement come from? The race for silver and bronze?

fairly4

Medalist
IT could have been better--the women was a washout,

to me _ashley could have won provided she fought more--but she also lucked out by not having her jumps in the short downgraded and her combo in the long downgraded. but She has improved in quality of jumps than now you can tell when she urs versus before-she is doing better on her jumps. still needs to improved artistry-show more emotion and herself when she is skating.
If she fought more,s he could have won with how everyone was skating.

Alissa-improved and fell behind since nelbelhorn-how to me in the long -when she landed the jumps she wasn't sure on-she changed edges and wobbled, the jumps she knew she could land she fought for those landings and seemed more secure. her interpretation was better-. She needs to fight more -be more secure in knowing she can land those jumps._She could have won to with all the messups.
Miki-could have skated better-she was decent-but not great, she needs to improve artistry and jumps,Nikola should keep his mouth shut.
Wasn't miki suppose to skate in the Japan open and than backed out? i am not sure. She should have been more ready and skated like she wanted to take charge. she just skated .Miki didn't skate competition ready.
I would like to see how miki would have skated 3 competitions in a row.

Julie-also could have won-she had those landings on 4 jumps but seemed like she gave up.

Mao--needed to rest--she willed herself to skate the short and long and could tell by the long she had nothing left to give. Yes her mind was willing but her body wasn't ready . Yes she needs to rely on overall but to me there was nothing wrong, she was just tired. She isn't done, at least not yet. If she skates like this latter on in the season (nationals-than maybe but not after skating in japan open, oct4-7, teb-17-18 and now rostelecom cup .

Johnny-personally i think the angel program worked better for gregory and petukhov than for johhny. johnny just complitmented the program.

takaho-keep working practicing.

Evgengy--decent job- in the long, better than expected in short.

Davis white--totally improved since nebelhorn, will give belbin and agosto a run for the money at nationals. is in run for oly title as well as virture and moir
but overall --okay

also decent cop scoring overall -girls especially us girls in short jumps overlooked. for ashley-105-107 in long, alissa a 96-97 in long.
but overall -i think skaters are holding back to peak at olympics

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I actually enjoyed this competition...

Ladies: Love Miki and love this program. She's just so much fun to watch! Congrats on your gold - to match that dress of course!

Great job by Ashley - my only complaint with her is that she has a tendency to look like she's play acting at being a figure skater... like Buffy's little sister in Ice Princess. It's weird and hard to explain because while her joy is very evident - the character development piece looks forced. I don't know... I might just need coffee...

Alyssa... what can I say? I keep waiting for her to stop competiting and start doing artistic coaching to assist the newbies with their finishing and expression. Ashley should sign up first. But I do love to watch her spin...

Dance: Loved Davis & White. I hate the Phantom of the Opera and loved this program so much that I just pretended it was Les Miz for the first two minutes so I could just enjoy the skating... US Nationals will be interesting. I doubt they will overtake B/A but ice dance will be finally be interesting again...

Men: SInce my idea of classical music IS Jimi Hendrix - I can't get enough of Taka's short! So awesome!

Johnny - sorry for him, espcially since he seems to have lost his zazazu on the ice - but hopefully his interview is true and he will take that anger and make it hot for nationals. I would hate to see him off the podium at Nationals and miss another shot at an olympic medal.

Plushy - what can I say? I love this guy. I love his swag. I love his jumps. Heck, I even love his haircut... he's PLUSHY!!! And the I'm #1 thing... LOVED IT!!! Give him a break - he's been gone for three years, probably wasn't sure how the skate would go and hit the ice like he'd never left. In front of the hometown. That's hot. Was the skate perfect? No. Did his choreo move me? No. But did he remind the world that he's the king? YES!

And who are we kidding? He is number 1...(sorry Brian... but Plushy's back and you need to work harder...)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Great job by Ashley - my only complaint with her is that she has a tendency to look like she's play acting at being a figure skater... like Buffy's little sister in Ice Princess. It's weird and hard to explain because while her joy is very evident - the character development piece looks forced.
I really really understand this cause i had the very same feeling, while she was very pleasant to watch, during her lp that I remember mostly she looked like everything from smile to fingertips were according to schedule. I could never express it better like you did!How old is she?Maybe she will let herself more free as time pass.