Thoughts, Feelings, Reflections, on the competition in general | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Thoughts, Feelings, Reflections, on the competition in general

I mentioned something about this on another thread and realize that this is the place for it, because it deals with skaters from several disciplines. Last week I found a 2006 issue of Blades on Ice Magazine at home. It covered that year's Worlds and Junior Worlds. Worlds is a bit painful to look back at, because the gold medalist is Kimmie, and I feel sad that she's so completely out of the picture right now.

The Junior Worlds ice dance podium had Virtue/Moir at the top and Davis/White in bronze position. It's safe to say that they've fulfilled their early promise! The Ladies' podium had YuNa at the top and Mao in silver position, an exact switch from the year before, I believe. The thing that struck me most strongly was that the Dance and Ladies' rankings have been pretty consistently filled by these same skaters for awhile now (along with others, of course). None of them is a flash in the pan. To me, that's kind of reassuring. It means that people stay around long enough to grow as technicians, performers, and artists.