Whither Johnny? | Golden Skate

Whither Johnny?

I suppose we should not make too much of one competition, but does it seem like the Johnny Weir era is over?

Once, Johnny could be counted on, win or lose, to bring something unique to his programs. Where has his mojo gone?

Last edited:
Um, it's with TAT and Platov who choreographed Otonal and the Swan.

There was a giant cosmic mixup among the skate gods.

Mao is supposed to be with Galina. Johnny is supposed to be in Russia with TAT.
:banging:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I suppose we should not make too much of one competition, but does it seem like the Johnny Weir era is over?

Once, Johnny could be counted on, win or lose, to bring something unique to his programs. Where has his mojo gone?

Do you really need to be SO melodramatic? ;)

Yes, his skating's been boring for a while.

I just like to work in the word "mojo" whenever possible. (Now if I just knew what it meant, exactly).

I think the main problem is this. Artistic expression is always based on sound fundamental technique. Johnny used to have an amazing triple Lutz and, IMHO, the best triple Axel in the business. Now he is struggling with jump technique, and this prevents him from displaying his great-hearted soul. (I mean his great-souled heart.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just like to work in the word "mojo" whenever possible. (Now if I just knew what it meant, exactly).

ooo bad flashbacks of Terry Gannon talking about mojo with Dick Button coming on.... oh the horror!

i love to skate

Medalist

Was there ever really a Johnny Weir era? If there was I think it was over a couple years ago. Like Plushenko, his programs look very similar to his 2006 programs. Johnny has obviously lost a lot - if not all - confidence in himself and perhaps he needs to consider a coaching change - to someone who emphasizes jump technique. He gives up in the air now on a lot of his jumps.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know... didn't his era end in 2008 when Evan was given the title over Johnny in the LP? As much as I prefer Evan over Johnny's skating (and most of the time personality lol) Johnny should have won the LP by a large margin... not tying the score...

I think that was when his era ended, if he had one... the USFSA sent a statement with that one. They'd moved on.

However, johnny needs to realize that his fans do not work like the USFSA. He does not need to make excuses or apologies to them, they will love him and his work no matter what... which is clearly evident, and I hope he sees that.

jennylovskt

Medalist

I would say, "Yes!" It ended more or less at 2006 Olympics. He is losing more and more year after year. Not only him, but his fans are struggling to hold on.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Yes, his skating's been boring for a while.

A few years Johnny was strong technically and seemed very original for the sometimes stodgy world of figure skating.

I was interested in seeing the "new Johnny" we heard so much about. He looks far from his best right now, but with the exception of some of the steps which I thought were good, he looked like the same old Johnny.

At the moment Plushy looks the same too. Plushy looks just like the skater who won the OGM. Unfortunately Johnny is looking like the same skater who came up short in most of his biggest competitions.

Still early, and I think he has a chance to do well if he can raise his performance level a couple of notches. But looking ahead to 2014 I might rather see Rippon and Mroz get beaten by Plushy than seeing Johnny fall short again.

Let's see how he looks at his next event before deciding his mojo has left him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not only him, but his fans are struggling to hold on.

I would argue then they weren't really fans to begin with... fans stand by their favorites through the best and the worst... fair weather "fans" are fans of shiney gold things and the idea of winning, they're not fans of the person/thing itself.

it may be hard for fans to stay positive, but they don't leave their favorite behind... nor do they kick him when he's down.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I would argue then they weren't really fans to begin with... fans stand by their favorites through the best and the worst... fair weather "fans" are fans of shiney gold things and the idea of winning, they're not fans of the person/thing itself.

it may be hard for fans to stay positive, but they don't leave their favorite behind... nor do they kick him when he's down.

ITA and thanks for reminding me what makes a true fan.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
A few years Johnny was strong technically and seemed very original for the sometimes stodgy world of figure skating.

I was interested in seeing the "new Johnny" we heard so much about. He looks far from his best right now, but with the exception of some of the steps which I thought were good, he looked like the same old Johnny.

At the moment Plushy looks the same too. Plushy looks just like the skater who won the OGM. Unfortunately Johnny is looking like the same skater who came up short in most of his biggest competitions.

Still early, and I think he has a chance to do well if he can raise his performance level a couple of notches. But looking ahead to 2014 I might rather see Rippon and Mroz get beaten by Plushy than seeing Johnny fall short again.

Let's see how he looks at his next event before deciding his mojo has left him.

Since you quoted me. It was Mathman who was talking about mojo, not me. I'm not writing Johnny off, I'm almost sure he'll soon fix those jumps he missed in CoR. He might place well in other events, why not. I was saying his skating looked boring to me. And, unlike you, I wasn't interested in seeing the "new Johnny", because I knew his programs would end up boring. Because they were choreographed by boring (to me) Wilson.

Medusa

Record Breaker

Don't you think that's a bit narrow-minded?

My Johnny-love has certainly cooled down during the last years. And I don't think I am alone in this. I am a fan of the skater, not of the person behind the skater (since you never really know about those anyway). And if the skater changes, and I really think he did and not in a positive way, I think I am allowed to defan myself. That doesn't make me a bad person or disloyal. I still wish him all the best and am very happy if he does well, and am sad for him, if he doesn't do well (like today).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Don't you think that's a bit narrow-minded?

I'm narrowminded, so why wouldn't I have a narrowminded view of the world? :laugh:

and there's a difference between being disillusioned with someone's skating because they've changed styles... and just because they lost the top spot on the podium, which is what I was getting at.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Since you quoted me. It was Mathman who was talking about mojo, not me. I'm not writing Johnny off, I'm almost sure he'll soon fix those jumps he missed in CoR. He might place well in other events, why not. I was saying his skating looked boring to me. And, unlike you, I wasn't interested in seeing the "new Johnny", because I knew his programs would end up boring. Because they were choreographed by boring (to me) Wilson.

Fair enough, and I think that just changing your costume does not mean your skating may look a little different. My comments were based on reading several articles about the "new Johnny." I didn't see any "new Johnny", and whether one likes Wilson or not, I didn't see a whole lot of Wilson in Johnny's new choreo.

I don't know if I would call Johnny "boring" but what was original in 2006 seems kind of stale in 2009.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I am a fan of the skater, not of the person behind the skater (since you never really know about those anyway). And if the skater changes, and I really think he did and not in a positive way, I think I am allowed to defan myself. That doesn't make me a bad person or disloyal.
Couldn't have said better myself.

jennylovskt

Medalist

Sure, I am not one of the, eer, "true fan". That's why I don't go on Johnny's angel's site because I cannot honestly say praise for him all the time.

ITA and thanks for reminding me what makes a true fan.

Is there anything particular that one should feel inadequate because he or she is not a "true fan" ?:cool:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sure, I am not one of the, eer, "true fan". That's why I don't go on Johnny's angel's site because I cannot honestly say praise for him all the time.

Is there anything particular that one should feel inadequate because he or she is not a true fan?:cool:

Absolutely not and to each his own.
I think I got toni's point even if I related it more to a team based loyalty than for an athlete in a non-team sport.
I am from Philly and root for our cities professional and collegiate teams whether they win or lose. When I lived in LA I was never a fan of any team from LA because of my "undying" loyalty to the Phillies, EAGLES, 76'ers and Flyers.

I admire Roger Federer and think he is the greatest tennis player who ever lived.
But I don't necessarily support him above other Tennis players so I am not his fan. I was an Andre Agassi fan and supported him win or lose and no matter who he played.

Sorry to ramble on but trying to explain an American perspective on fans. Maybe it is similar in Europe. I know Euro football fans support their clubs whether they are in 1st place or last place. A Liverpool fan will support their club through thick and thin just like Bayern fans, Inter fans in Italy, etc.

Last week I got down on Caroline Z. Then after a few days I realized if I am her fan then I shouldn't walk away when she is down. Of course I can, but then I would be what toni called a fair weather fan.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist

Good post! :thumbsup: "True fan" or "bandwagon fan" is one of the most overused statements in sports. Just because a person does not praise all the time, critiques an athlete/team, or stops spending money on games when a team plays like crap doesn't mean they are not a fan.