Whither Johnny? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Whither Johnny?

krenseby

Final Flight
Oh, absolutely, that's why I said something about not remaining (or being in the first place, for that matter) loyal to anyone whose principles you don't agree with/have come to disagree with or whose actions you deplore.

Totally agree about the Kween, though -- as long as I can also be a "subject" of Kristi Y.! :laugh:

It's kinda mean that Kristi gets no honorary title like "the queen." I mean, Kristi is a World Champion and an Olympic Gold Medalist and an accomplished pro skater.

Someone please think up of a title for her. The only thing that comes into my head right now is "Empress."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's kinda mean that Kristi gets no honorary title like "the queen." I mean, Kristi is a World Champion and an Olympic Gold Medalist and an accomplished pro skater.

that's because Kristi needs no title to remind everyone of who she is...

besides she's way better than "the queen"...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
certainly not if you go by medals, fortunately I don't get distracted by the shiny stuff.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's tall dark and handsome... and I like a skater who can project out to teh crowd

honestly, though, I don't really know why either... I've been hooked since his Singing in the Rain LP (before that I thought he was just another skater going to be stuck in a crowd... not a stand out)... then Carmen was FANTASTIC and yeah... *shrugs*

I'm not blinded by his medals, though... he's not the best skater out there, but he's far from the worst... and I can forgive the flapping (it's not his fault he's tall and lanky)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The most significant relationship of my life was with a person who looked similar to Lysacek.

I understand the attraction on that level.

(everything else about Lysacek the past few years has been a turn-off for me, though)

moby23c

Spectator
I'm not blinded by his medals, though... he's not the best skater out there, but he's far from the worst... and I can forgive the flapping (it's not his fault he's tall and lanky)

His arms lack proper control. It's not cause he's tall and lanky. In fact, tall and lanky can contribute to some of the most elegant lines IF the control is there (think Khorkina).

seniorita

Record Breaker
yeah, i think you are.

ah nevermind, I m used to being the minority here:p I totally enjoyed him in Sp.

On the other hand his Lp left me cold, it doesnt work like Angels exhibition, but I think if Johnny had landed his jumps both his programs would look much better, I think live he is amazing to watch even in his crossovers.

Well to the best of my knowledge Queen Elizabeth II has never tried figure skating so we can never really know :p
i already picture her in furry hats and skates and her son giving her a push:eek:

janetfan

Match Penalty
ah nevermind, I m used to being the minority here:p I totally enjoyed him in Sp.

On the other hand his Lp left me cold, it doesnt work like Angels exhibition, but I think if Johnny had landed his jumps both his programs would look much better, I think live he is amazing to watch even in his crossovers.

i already picture her in furry hats and skates and her son giving her a push:eek:

I am sure your dream is really of someone else in furs - and we all know who would be giving her the p(l)ush :)

Last edited:
Time to reassess! Johnny put together two excellent programs in the toughest field of the GP series. :clap:

I think we can take it that he didn't lose his 3A. :biggrin: To my surprise he is working both of those programs into true Weiricles. ;) They're fluid and emotional and maintain interest from beginning to end, and they don't look like they're trying to force him into a standard mold. I'm not wild about head-tossing but nobody does it like Johnny. Even the Russian commentators were laughing at his diva-ness.

Now I don't mean to be flip, but what's with winning a Silver with sinusitus and fizzling when he's relatively well?

At any rate, congratulations, Johnny, and please keep it up. I want to see these programs at the Olympics! :rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tU9P5yk_TM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBZgBC15dQ&feature=related

seniorita

Record Breaker
Bump. Doesn't anybody wanna talk about Johnny? :scratch:
I want to talk about Johhnyy!
Loved his Nhk short once again and this time he was clean it was even better! I like costume, his attitude, his straight and circular seq, he likes this music and he skates to it!
And I love Johhny cause he reminds me only of Johnny!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spun, I want to talk about Johnny. I do love his fluid lines and I would love to see him win an Oly medal. If he cries winning a grand prix medal, I wonder what he'll do with an Oly one. I think the more I see of his programs the more I may like them. It's not the programs as much as it is the music. I just wish he had spectacular programs like the Swan ( oh how I miss Camille) and Otonal. Otonal still gives me goosebumps.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Johnny's NHK performance was a very very pleasant surprise. I've always found him a very pleasant skater to watch, and when his jumps are together, his programs are so fluid. I don't like his short program very much; the music sounds like bad bar mitzvah music, but at least he sells it. His flamboyance and....diva-ness(?) do separate him from the other male skaters and I actualy think he could play that up a little more. I know it's probably kinda polarizing to some, but it'd probably boost his PCS points. But I guess that's neither here nor there at this point.
The programs he has now are nice; not terribly memorable, but nice, and if he can just keep the jumps together and really sell the musicality, he could have a good season. Whether or not the jumps will stay or if NHK was just a fluke...too early to say. He's been off for a while. But good start.