How does the JSF decide which skaters go to Vancouver? | Golden Skate

How does the JSF decide which skaters go to Vancouver?

jaws12345

Match Penalty
I read a news article that said the Japanese skaters who compete in the Grand Prix final for the Olympics get the first selection by JSF for the Olympics. No that Asada doesn't seem to be skating at GPF, does this mean if three Japanese ladies besides her are qualified for GPF, Asada loses her chance to go to Vancouver? Can someone verify this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I read a news article that said the Japanese skaters who compete in the Grand Prix final for the Olympics get the first selection by JSF for the Olympics. No that Asada doesn't seem she will be skating at GPF, does this mean if three Japanese ladies besides her are qualified for GPF, Asada loses her chance to go to Vancouver? Can someone verify this? Thanks!

I sincerely doubt that. They also look at Japanese Nationals, and if Asada is landing 4 Triples or so in the LP there, she is going.

Mikoto

Rinkside
No, only one skater who finishes in the highest placement among the Japanese.skaters will get a qualification. And it have to be higher than 3rd place.

So, at least 2 slots remains open until Nationals.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
No, only one skater who finishes in the highest placement among the Japanese.skaters will get a qualification. And it have to be higher than 3rd place.

So, at least 2 slots remains open until Nationals.

Good info. Thanks.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I never even though that Mao could be left off the olympic team.

Scenario: Mao does not make the GPF (well that already happened). She does the same thing that she did at CoR at her Nationals. Bombs the short and messes up in the long. She finishes off the podium. Meanwhile Nakano and Miki both make the GPF and Nationals is Miki, Fumie and Nakano (in any order) on the podium. Does Mao go to the olympics? Would the Japanese federation knock one of those other girls off the team for somebody who did not even medal in 2009?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I never even though that Mao could be left off the olympic team.

Scenario: Mao does not make the GPF (well that already happened). She does the same thing that she did at CoR at her Nationals. Bombs the short and messes up in the long. She finishes off the podium. Meanwhile Nakano and Miki both make the GPF and Nationals is Miki, Fumie and Nakano (in any order) on the podium. Does Mao go to the olympics? Would the Japanese federation knock one of those other girls off the team for somebody who did not even medal in 2009?
I hope that she pulls herself together at nationals. But if not, I do not think that they should repeat the same mistake they made at the Torino with Miki.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I hope that she pulls herself together at nationals. But if not, I do not think that they should repeat the same mistake they made at the Torino with Miki.

I don't know. I think that Mao has kind of earned the benefit of the doubt even more so than Miki. This being said Mao ALWAYS skates well in Japan. (oh I said that and forgot Japanese Open but still)

japanice

Rinkside
The JSF determines the skaters for the Olympics based on a formula of past results. This is how Miki made it to Turin despite finishing 5th at nationals back in 2005. Many thought Yukari she have gotten the chance.

The only way Mao doesn't make it to Vancouver is if she gets injured. Earlier this year the JOC gave her a special dispensation of $100,000 for training. They will surely want to get their money back out of that investment.

Most likely scenario for Vancouver is Mao, Miki and Yukari.

Okami

On the Ice
The JSF determines the skaters for the Olympics based on a formula of past results. This is how Miki made it to Turin despite finishing 5th at nationals back in 2005. Many thought Yukari she have gotten the chance.

The rules have changed since then, though.

For the Worlds after Torino the team consisted of the the skater with the highest placement at GPF + 2 skaters who placed the highest at Japanese Nationals.

This season the rules were changed again, and the selection is supposed to be based on the results from the whole Olympic season (not from 2 previous seasons like for Torino).

If 2-3 Japanese ladies place higher than Mao in their GP events and make the GPF, and if Mao continues to underperform at Nationals, Mao might be in a bit of tight spot. There was a big scandal following Miki's selection for Torino and JSF will do everything in their might to avoid a similar situation.

Last season it was clear from the international results that Kanako Murakami and Yukiko Fujisawa are the most consistent skaters with the most name recognition. Yet they were not sent to Jr.Worlds, because they stumbled at Jr.Nationals. (They were injured, Kanako even came back after her shaky SP to win the LP, but it was not enough).

japanice

Rinkside
Mao won't finish any lower than 2nd at nationals. You can bet your last money on that. Tarasova may well be out of the picture by then. Mao will skate conservative to make the team.

The competition for the 3rd spot will be between Yukari and Fumie. After what happened before Turin, and the fact that Fumie has skated in 2 Olympics already, sympathy will be with Yukari.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wouldn't it be ironic if Mao didn't make the team? four years ago people were screaming "let her skate"... now most are scratching their head wondering if she'll even get to go this time around...

that being said, I hope we see her there, and that she is confident.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I doubt Mao will be left off the Olympics team. The result looks at previous two season or so, so not just this GP season. Mao won two event last season, including the final event. This year all other ladies, Nakano, Fumie and Akiko are tight GP assignments and i doubt all of them will medal more than once.

Nakano already got a bronze, and will fight against Wagner, Lepisto, Mier and Leonova in NHK so she has to be perfect and win at least a silver to be qualify for final.

Fumie and Akiko will be at COC with Rochett and Flatt. And each has to fight off againt Kim at SA and Rochett at SC so, we all know gold is not going to be happen.

All there needs to get at least two silver to get into final, and a silver and bronze for tie breaker.

Regarding national, Mao has PCS advantage at least 5-6 points more than above trio and the judges might be a little more easy with underroated jump.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wouldn't it be ironic if Mao didn't make the team? four years ago people were screaming "let her skate"... now most are scratching their head wondering if she'll even get to go this time around....

She as a very different girl 4 years ago. She has beat both Irina and Sasha during the GP and GPF, had a triple axel and a 3/3 and nothing bothered her. That's a perfect example of why the age rule is sepremeley dumb, but whatever. We had that conversation already.

mayamae_55

Rinkside
http://www.skatingjapan.jp/Jsf/News/09-10_Figure_Selection_Criterion.pdf
JSF announcement as of June 12, rough translation by myself

"The Olympics team would be selected as follows.

1. Skater(s) who finish off the highest rank in the GPF within 3rd place is determined as an Olympics qualifier.
2. The winner in the Nationals would basically be determined as a qualifier.
3. The remaning slot would be selected from the following, taking into account the acquired points, the conditions/performance, and the World Standings, at the end of the Nationals event;
a) skater(s) within 3rd place at the Nationals
b) GPF participant(s)
c) skater(s) within the top 3rd Japanese skaters rankings in the ISU World Ranking System.

However, a skater(s) who do not fall into any of the categories above due to an injury etc. during the earlier half of the season, but has acheived finishing within the 6th place in the past World Championships event, can be included in the selection roster, taking into account the skaters' condition towards the Olympics event. "

Take a look at the slanted wordings- Mao can be easily included the Olympics roster without bending the rules even if she finishes off the podium in the Nationals.

The above is NOT a perfect translation.

bekalc

Record Breaker
She as a very different girl 4 years ago. She has beat both Irina and Sasha during the GP and GPF, had a triple axel and a 3/3 and nothing bothered her. That's a perfect example of why the age rule is sepremeley dumb, but whatever. We had that conversation already.

Yes but that year the same girl went to Junior Worlds as the heavy favorite and imploded. We don't know that Mao would have skated that well at the GP series that year if she had been under the same pressure as the other Japanese ladies were. We also don't know how she would have handled the Olympics either.

Both her and Yu-na could have been contendors for medals, and I think it sucks that they weren't there.

As for the Japanese Olympic team. There is only one spot open for the Olympic team. Mao and Miki are locks and that is deservedly so. Yes Mao is struggling now, but she deserves the benefit of the doubt based on what she's accomplished in the past and also based on the fact that other than Miki none of the other Japanese girls are true medal contenders.