1. Joannie
2. Carolina Kostner
3. Akiko Suzuki / Rachael Flatt

yqs100

On the Ice
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morozov

Based on the video clips from Chinese media,,,,Shen Zhao look really really good and aggressive, and Bing Yao said Shen/Zhao wont disappoint us! :rock:

shine

Record Breaker
The Japanese do first name first, plus she's born here and really an American. :)

So you need to pick someone else for the silver.
The Japanese do surname first. She would be 長洲 未來
Nagasu Mirai
I'm pretty sure all Far Eastern Asians have their surname first then first name.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
The Japanese do surname first. She would be 長洲 未來
Nagasu Mirai
I'm pretty sure all Far Eastern Asians have their surname first then first name.

We know that. The point is whether it's standard protocol when citing figure skaters, and the answer is no. Japanese people do surname-givenname at home, but take on the Western standard and do givenname-surname when abroad (or being talked about abroad). Particularly considering that she's Japanese-American and not Japanese (unless you're suggesting that her ethnicity disqualifies her as an American), Mirai Nagasu is the way to go.

shine

Record Breaker
Who is "we"? The poster I was replying to simply said "the Japanese do first name first" without any other context, which is not true given what was stated. Certainly Nagasu is Amercan and therefore adopts the Western way, and I didn't make any suggestion that her name should be officially written in any other way. I was merely correcting the statement that was made here in case the poster really thought that was how the Japanese write their names.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
We know that. The point is whether it's standard protocol when citing figure skaters, and the answer is no. Japanese people do surname-givenname at home, but take on the Western standard and do givenname-surname when abroad (or being talked about abroad). Particularly considering that she's Japanese-American and not Japanese (unless you're suggesting that her ethnicity disqualifies her as an American), Mirai Nagasu is the way to go.

I was the one who wrote Mirai's name each way on my Ladies prediction post.
I was actually kidding and just trying to show my support for Mirai by listing her 2nd and 3rd by using her names in Japanese and American order.
I never intended to suggest that Mirai was a not an American skater.

I haven't seen anything of Mirai besides the Golden West clips so far this season and although appreciated, they were not that clear.

If not this year, I believe Mirai does have a good chance to become the #1 US Lady. But I was not that impressed with her programs watching the GW clips so I hope Mirai will be skating much better at COC.
Go Mirai

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Ladies
1. Rochette
2. Flatt
3. Nagasu
4. Kostner

Men
1. Oda :thumbsup:
2. Lysacek
3. Ten
4. Ponsero

Pairs
1. S/Z :biggrin:
2. Z/Z
3. V/M
4. D/B

Dance
1. B/A
2. K/N
3. F/S
4. W/P

Hiara80

On the Ice
Ladies
1. Carolina Kostner:clap:(i hope)
2. Joannie Rochette
3. Fumie Suguri
and

Men
1.Oda
2.Lysacek
3.Contesti:clap:

Dance:
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khoklova/Novitski
3. Faiella/Scalia:clap:

Last edited:

zartian

Rinkside
omg I'm not the only one who agrees! Rachael is soo boring, she needs speed, and better posture and lines, not to mention more speed in everything

I don't think Rachael being boring is somthing to do with her posture or lines. It's due to her lack in charactor and expression as well as her speed. Caroline has one of the best posture but look boring to me.

Akiko Suzuki, for example, does not have so nice posture or lines as mao (or Caroline), in my opinion, but she is much more exciting to watch, I think Akiko is the most expressive among all current Japanese top lady skaters. I wish her all the best in Cup of China. Go Akiko~!

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
Yeah, well, Rachael's posture doesn't help... But Caroline is boring. Watching her live at TEB; she does execute some stunning moves (the pearl spin, charlottes...); but she's so forgettable. What makes her boring is I think her lack of speed; her 'I don't bother with facial expressions' attitude, her weird technique on the lutz and the axel and the fact that she barely manages a smile for the audience after a performance; it makes her look too robotic. Then I think I prefer Rachael's artistry that looks a little unnatural but at least is executed with enthusiasm.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Yeah, well, Rachael's posture doesn't help... But Caroline is boring. Watching her live at TEB; she does execute some stunning moves (the pearl spin, charlottes...); but she's so forgettable. What makes her boring is I think her lack of speed; her 'I don't bother with facial expressions' attitude, her weird technique on the lutz and the axel and the fact that she barely manages a smile for the audience after a performance; it makes her look too robotic. Then I think I prefer Rachael's artistry that looks a little unnatural but at least is executed with enthusiasm.

That said, with the ISU replacing judges with robots in the 2078-9 season, i think Caroline's robotic look will work perfectly.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
I don't think Rachael being boring is somthing to do with her posture or lines. It's due to her lack in charactor and expression as well as her speed. Caroline has one of the best posture but look boring to me.

Akiko Suzuki, for example, does not have so nice posture or lines as mao (or Caroline), in my opinion, but she is much more exciting to watch, I think Akiko is the most expressive among all current Japanese top lady skaters. I wish her all the best in Cup of China. Go Akiko~!

Rachael's posture needs work. Get her to do ballet exercises to gain awareness in her upper body. Her spins are ugly to me (at least worst than her teammates Alissa and Carline). Zhang too, is very boring, she needs speed.. And yes, you're absolutely right, it's her lack of expression too that's making her boring. It's clearly obvious Rachael is no phenom, she's no Kwan or Asada or Baiul...i guess for her the main thing is consistency. She is more consistent than Czisny. I suggest Flatt go work with a mime artist off-ice.

merrybari

Final Flight
I see from looking at this thread that most are agreed that Oda will come out on top, with Lysacek second and a variety of skaters fighting for bronze. That's an OK result as the idea isn't to peak during the GP series anyway. Whatever the outcome, he'll take what he learns back home and keep on polishing the programs with an eye to Vancouver. Everything along the way is a testing ground toward peaking there, as it is for all the others as well.

As for me, I think it's a bit premature to give the nod to Oda though his FS was delightfully charming and very much suited him.

We haven't even seen Evan skate yet. It's entirely likely imo that he'll be bringing fire and passion to the ice in equal proportions to Oda's lightness and fun.

OTOH Oda has the benefit of one competition behind him already and the accompanying feedback. So could go either way.

Oda talks about adding a quad. Can he deliver? Evan says he may put one in - he may not, depends on how consistent they are in training.

If both bring their A-games to the ice, the rest is out of their control. Hopefully they will and the judges will be "real"! In any event, the fans are in for a treat!

All things bearing equal - with impartial judging - ( I can dream, can't I?) - I give the nod to Evan if only because he's proven over time to be stronger mentally, though that is NOT the only reason. I feel his skating is every bit as strong as Oda's just very different.

That said, here are mine.

Men:
Lysacek
Oda
Contesti

Ladies:
Rochette
Suguri
Nagasu/Flatt

Dance:
Belbin/Agosto
Khokhlova/Novitski
Faiella/Scali

Pairs:
Shen/Zhao
Zhang.Zhang
???

bekalc

Record Breaker
As for me, I think it's a bit premature to give the nod to Oda though his FS was delightfully charming and very much suited him.

We haven't even seen Evan skate yet. It's entirely likely imo that he'll be bringing fire and passion to the ice in equal proportions to Oda's lightness and fun.

See this where I have to disagree. I think the issue here is that Oda is a stronger skater technically than Evan. I mean Evan is never going to get the GOE on his jumps that Oda gets on his. And Evan's 3axel is downgradable.

The issue has been Oda's mental mistakes although he doesnt normally make this mistake at GP events :lol: and the fact that his programs last year where not well liked. So Evan got a LOT higher PCS. This year though the judges love Oda's long program and as such I dont' see Evan getting a really huge PCS advantage. Maybe some PCS advantage but not really as big as he wants got.

So the only issue is mental and I think Oda is getting a handle on it. He's always skated fairly well anyways. It's just the counting isseus. And I thought jumpwise he got better as the season progressed. Oda looks really comfortable with his program this year. And I don't think he needs a quad to beat Evan. The only question is how much do the judges like Oda's short. Was he just lowballed two weeks ago for being in the second group?

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
See this where I have to disagree. I think the issue here is that Oda is a stronger skater technically than Evan. I mean Evan is never going to get the GOE on his jumps that Oda gets on his. And Evan's 3axel is downgradable.

The issue has been Oda's mental mistakes although he doesnt normally make this mistake at GP events :lol: and the fact that his programs last year where not well liked. So Evan got a LOT higher PCS. This year though the judges love Oda's long program and as such I dont' see Evan getting a really huge PCS advantage. Maybe some PCS advantage but not really as big as he wants got.

So the only issue is mental and I think Oda is getting a handle on it. He's always skated fairly well anyways. It's just the counting isseus. And I thought jumpwise he got better as the season progressed. Oda looks really comfortable with his program this year. And I don't think he needs a quad to beat Evan. The only question is how much do the judges like Oda's short. Was he just lowballed two weeks ago for being in the second group?

What you say indicates you don't think Evan will have made any improvements on his GOEs and there I tend to disagree with you. They have been slowly and steadily climbing recently and he had to pay special attention to increasing them for Worlds when he wasn't able to even attempt a quad. I think it paid off and they will continue to get better and better now that he has focused on them.

I think his downgrade issues last season had more to do with the changes TAT made in his technique that hadn't yet settled into muscle memory. I expect that will also change. After all the ups and downs of his last year's season we KNOW he's gotten even stronger mentally. He had to in order to overcome what could have been devastating to his confidence. Instead, he rose above them, and turned them into positives to become even stronger.

So what we have is two strong and talented skaters, one of whom has already shown his programs to the world - and the judges - and one who has yet to do so. It's too soon to say what the judges will think of Evan's - they haven't even seen them yet. How can we know how they will be received?

I still say it's too soon to crown either one for CoC champ. Let's hope they both skate well and then see what happens. For many - judges included - it boils down to different strokes for different folks. Their strokes are different on the ice - ours are different off of it! I can appreciate both while preferring Evan's. I think you can/do too.

Fun chatting with you. :)

Medusa

Record Breaker
Evan really got more GOE at the end of last season, and he deserved it too, I think. If you compare earlier performances, where basically every jump looked scratchy and squeezed out - most of his jumps, except for the 3A, looked really good at Worlds, he even got speed out of the jump, which is what I often missed in earlier years.

Plus, have you seen that sitspin? :love: Should get at least +2 GOE each time he does it.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Predictions:

Men:

1. Oda
2. Lysacek
3. Ten (Go!!!)

Women:

1. Rochette
2. Suguri
3. Suzuki

Pairs: