Cup of China: Predictions | Golden Skate

Cup of China: Predictions

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, with Asada bombing out of the GPF, Joubert off the podium at TEB and several other surprises, predicting this is rather silly. But I still have fun doing it, so here goes...

Men
1. Nobunari Oda
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Samuel Contesti
4. Yannick Ponsero
5. Denis Ten

I think Oda will take his good result from TEB and run with it. He's got a program that works for him, a level of refinement that's quite strong already, and the ability to land great triples. Lysacek should be right behind - he's a strong competitor and very focused. I think he wants to prove that last year was no fluke.

Contesti vs Ponsero vs Ten for bronze, and I think Contesti's all around strong skills win out (see those statistic threads). Ponsero, as good as he is, is a bit wobbly and Ten is still new - I don't think he'll get the PCS he needs to make bronze.

Women
1. Joannie Rochette
2. Rachel Flatt
3. Fumie Suguri
4. Carolina Kostner
5. Mirai Nagasu

This is Rochette's to lose. I don't think she will: that confident, 7-triple performance at the Japan Open really raised my expectations. Flatt has shown steadiness in her summer competitions (something virtually everyone in this field lacks) and I think she'll do well here. It's bronze that I'm curious about. Kostner.. she upended her training situation this for season, but it didn't work out for her at TEB. I think her problems are too broad to be instantly fixed in time for this competition. Suguri - she really wants to make this Olympic team. I know that sounds "well,duh" but will she be able to channel that into a successful GP season? And Nagasu's my wild card.

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morozov
4. Duhamel/Buntin
5. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze

I don't want to overrate Shen/Zhao. After all, they have competed in three seasons, and Zhang/Zhang are quite strong and also, like S/Z, on home turf. I don't know who the Chinese Federation would support. I assume S/Z, simply because it's their last shot. Zhang/Zhang COULD be around for another cycle (I doubt it. This will be their third Olympics. Pretty cool, actually), but Shen/Zhao came out of retirement for one more chance at the brass ring. Given how underwhelming pairs skating has been this cycle, it'd be a pretty sweet ending to a great career that's had disappointing Olympic success (overshadowed by the controversy in 2002; the injury that took them out of competition for much of 2005/06 and seeing teammates get gifted points).

I think it's Ukraine vs Canada for the bronze, and V/M take it on the basis of a better 08/09 season (aka, I think they're better) and D/B's lack of refinement hurts them. I/M in fifth because I can't imagine any of the other teams beating them.

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khoklova/Novitski
3. Faiella/Scalia
4. Chock/Zuerlein
5. Zaretski/Zaretski

Belbin Agosto are Gold-Silver-Gold-Silver in this event, so now it's time for Gold. It is written :)D) But seriously, I don't think they have much of a challenge from K/N. Even if K/N are boosted due to chicanery, all that means to me is that K/N are guaranteed second. B/A would have to have another freak fall for that to rewrite itself F/S are in third for me - I don't think C/Z will quite able to catch up to them in their first senior GP. I have Z/Z ahead of Weaver/Poje just because I don't want to jinx the Canadian team. C/Z, Z/Z and W/P all have their personal best within five points of each other, and I could see them ending up in any 4th-6th positions.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Dream Podiums

Ladies
1. Carolina Kostner
2. Joannie Rochette
3. Fumie Suguri

Men
1. Nobunari Oda
2. Denis Ten
3. Evan Lysacek

Pairs
1. Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang
2. Tatiana Volosozhar & Stanislav Morozov
3. Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao

Ice Dance
1. Federica Faiella & Massimo Scali
2. Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto
3. Jana Khokhlova & Sergei Novitski

Predictions

Ladies
1. Joannie Rochette
2. Rachael Flatt
3. Akiko Suzuki

Men
1. Nobunari Oda
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Samuel Contesti

Pairs
1. Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang
2. Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao
3. Tatiana Volosozhar & Stanislav Morozov

Ice Dance
1. Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto
2. Jana Khokhlova & Sergei Novitski
3. Federica Faiella & Massimo Scali

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
I think the men will have some interesting battles; I think its gonna be close in the short with 6 or 7 skater getting 70+; The end the long it is gonna come down to
Evan VS Oda
Contesti VS Ponsero
Ten VS Carrier VS Voronov for that top 6 finsish
Kevin Reynolds VS the Chinese Triad

Ladies is Joannie
Flatt Vs Akiko
Fumi Vs Kostner

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Men:

1. Nobunari Oda
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Denis Ten

Ice Dance:

1. Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto
2. Jana Khokhlova & Sergei Novitski
3. Federica Faiella & Massimo Scali

Pairs:

1. Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao
2. Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang
3. Tatiana Volosozhar & Stanislav Morozov

Ladiezzz:

1. Joannie Rochette
2. Rachel Flatt
3. Fumie Suguri

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am so excited for this event. Shen and Zhao, Belbin and Agosto and Evan all in one competition? :love:

I agree that Oda will win, he is on a roll. Evan is never really that strong early in the season, He should be able to get the silver, but I would not be surprised to see him in 3rd.

Joannie will own this event. I hope the american girls can fight it out for a spot on the podium, but I would be shocked if they both landed there. I predict 4th and 6th for them.

As with Rochette, I think it is Tanith's and Ben's to lose. Khokhlova & Novitski are good, but just not at the american's level. Should be a good 5 point + win.

Narumi1997

Rinkside
I am so excited for this event. Shen and Zhao, Belbin and Agosto and Evan all in one competition? :love:

ME TOO!:love:

Predictions- I'll do ladies and dance today
Ladies
Joannie
Rachael
Mirai

Dance
Tanith and Ben
Jana and Sergei
Frederica and Massimo

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rochette and Flatt should medal. I have the former winning by a comfortable margin.

Kostner and Nagasu are the wildcards.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men
1. Nobunari Oda
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Denis Ten
4. Samuel Contesti
5. Yannick Ponsero

Ladies
1. Joannie Rochette
2. Rachael Flatt
3. Akiko Suzuki
4. Mirai Nagasu
5. Carolina Kostner :frown: (I hope she does better!)
6. Fumie Suguri

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morozov
4. Duhamel/Buntin
5. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khoklova/Novitski
3. Faiella/Scalia
4. Chock/Zuerlein
5. Zaretski/Zaretski

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
I'm really looking forward to seeing Joannie's sp, and I hope Karolina to regain her confidence back here on COC and get a medal. I also think Akiko is capable of pulling an upset for bronze. pretty much 2nd,3rd place will be a tough battle among 4-5 skaters. We'll see :rock:

life684

Final Flight
Men
1. Nobunari Oda: probably score 250+, hope to see his quad Jumps
2. Evan Lysacek: Sure to see big debate on his arms, Hope he doesn't use excessive make up
3. Denis Ten: could move up the ranking, especially since he is reported to be in fine form at cup of Russia series
4. Samuel Contesti : Love to see him place high
5. Yannick Ponsero: even higher for this guy, hope he will perform like at last year's european championships

Ladies
1. Joannie Rochette: loved her performance at Japan open
2.Mirai Nagasu : Hope she don't get hit by UR
3. Akiko Suzuki
4. Rachel Flatt : she may come second, but she is boring (in my opinion)
5.Fumie Suguri : her form isn't impressive, she struggled at Finlandia Trophy

Carolina can finish any where from first to 12th (may be not 12th with chinese ladies in it, but say 8th)

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao:rock: : He is throwing her like she is weightless, only concern is how they deal with Sbs jumps; especially 3T
2. Zhang/Zhang: i don't might them finishing lower, but they are technically very strong. They may take a lot of risk with their tech elements, 2A+3t, throw 4s etc.
3. Volosozhar/Morozov ; love them, but inconsistent
4. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze: they may like to score more than 160 to have some edge going into Russian nationals over Bazarova and Larionov for third russian spot. But they are technical lot weaker than when they appeared first in 2007 russian nationals
5.Duhamel/Buntin: Not a fan

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto: Not a fan
2. Khoklova/Novitski: love to see their program
3. Faiella/Scalia: They would like to score more than capalini/ Lanotte
4.Zaretski/Zaretski: hope they do well
5.Chock/Zuerlein: world junior champs, hope they can perform well

Last edited:
It's hard to see how Chock and Zuerlein can challenge for tohe podium, but I hope they do. :clap:

prettykeys

Medalist
Ladies
1) Joannie
2) Rachael Flatt
3) Mirai Nagasu

Men
1) Nobu
2) Evan Lysacek
3) I don't know...

...but I am intrigued by Denis Ten so I will be watching him :)

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Men
1. Nobunari Oda: probably score 250+, hope to see his quad Jumps
2. Evan Lysacek: Sure to see big debate on his arms, Hope he doesn't use excessive make up
3. Denis Ten: could move up the ranking, especially since he is reported to be in fine form at cup of Russia series
4. Samuel Contesti : Love to see him place high
5. Yannick Ponsero: even higher for this guy, hope he will perform like at last year's european championships

Ladies
1. Joannie Rochette: loved her performance at Japan open
2.Mirai Nagasu : Hope she don't get hit by UR
3. Akiko Suzuki
4. Rachel Flatt : she may come second, but she is boring (in my opinion)
5.Fumie Suguri : her form isn't impressive, she struggled at Finlandia Trophy

Carolina can finish any where from first to 12th (may be not 12th with chinese ladies in it, but say 8th)

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao:rock: : He is throwing her like she is weightless, only concern is how they deal with Sbs jumps; especially 3T
2. Zhang/Zhang: i don't might them finishing lower, but they are technically very strong. They may take a lot of risk with their tech elements, 2A+3t, throw 4s etc.
3. Volosozhar/Morozov ; love them, but inconsistent
4. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze: they may like to score more than 160 to have some edge going into Russian nationals over Bazarova and Larionov for third russian spot. But they are technical lot weaker than when they appeared first in 2007 russian nationals
5.Duhamel/Buntin: Not a fan

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto: Not a fan
2. Khoklova/Novitski: love to see their program
3. Faiella/Scalia: They would like to score more than capalini/ Lanotte
4.Zaretski/Zaretski: hope they do well
5.Chock/Zuerlein: world junior champs, hope they can perform well

omg I'm not the only one who agrees! Rachael is soo boring, she needs speed, and better posture and lines, not to mention more speed in everything

Ituriel

On the Ice
Dreams :love:

Men:
- Oda
- Ten
- Contesti

Ladies:
- Rochette
- ?
- ?

Pairs
- Shen & Zhao
- Tatiana & Stanislav
- Lubov & Nodari

Dance
- Jana & Sergei :rock:
- Fede & Massi
- Tanith & Ben

Predictions
- Oda
- Lysacek
- Ponsero

- Rochette
- Flatt
- Nagasu

- Zhang x2
- Shen & Zhao
- Tatiana & Stanislav

- Tanith & Ben
- Jana & Sergei
- Fede & Massi

janetfan

Match Penalty
Huh?:scratch:

We were discusing the proper way to present names from Asian countries today and even though Mirai is American, due to her Japanese ancestry I did not want to jinx her by listing her name the wrong way. Since I wasn't sure which she prefers I listed it both ways.
1. Joannie Rochette
2.Nagasu Mirai
3. Mirai Nagasu

Also a clunky way to show my support for her.

Last edited: