Cup of China: Predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cup of China: Predictions

bekalc

Record Breaker
Medusa Evan really got more GOE at the end of last season, and he deserved it too, I think. If you compare earlier performances, where basically every jump looked scratchy and squeezed out - most of his jumps, except for the 3A, looked really good at Worlds, he even got speed out of the jump, which is what I often missed in earlier years.

Plus, have you seen that sitspin? Should get at least +2 GOE each time he does it.

I'm not saying Evan isn't going to get any GOE at all. Or anything like that. And Oda is hardly a bad spinner. :lol: But quality wise Evan's jumps will never be at the level of Oda's. There's frankly no comparision between the two. Oda may be in terms of quality one of the best jumpers this sport has seen. His landings are absolutely incredible.

Now the thing is Evan has for most of his career been a much better competitor than Oda has, and that might factor in. I can see maybe Evan doing a quad and Oda not doing so. (But I'm not so sure) But in terms of technical ability, Oda IS the stronger skater. He has better basics and better jumps. The only area where Evan perhaps surpasses is when it comes to command of the ice (so to speak). And well that can be explained just by height.

As for the 3axel, it wasn't just Tarasova's choregraphy. Evan has had his downgraded in the past season and he had it downgraded at WTT and Four Continents too. He might have gotten lucky at worlds.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like it or not, Evan will get high GOE because he is the reigning World champion. Oda was 7th at 2009 Worlds.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Like it or not, Evan will get high GOE because he is the reigning World champion. Oda was 7th at 2009 Worlds.

You may be right. But I'm not sure what being world champion has to do with whether his elements are better than Nobu's. I'd agree that Evan would get higher PCS though.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
merrybai, I think the very fact that we've seen Oda nail his program is the reason people are thinking he'll be the winner. We don't know what Lysacek's going to do. Plus, Oda seems to do better than Lysacek on the Grand Prix circuit (one gold for Lysacek, three/four for Oda (4th being TEB this year), and this is despite Lysacek having a two season advantage).

merrybari

Final Flight
merrybai, I think the very fact that we've seen Oda nail his program is the reason people are thinking he'll be the winner. We don't know what Lysacek's going to do. Plus, Oda seems to do better than Lysacek on the Grand Prix circuit (one gold for Lysacek, three/four for Oda (4th being TEB this year), and this is despite Lysacek having a two season advantage).

RE: Oda. Can't deny the facts, and of course that makes sense. People were wondering what he'd bring and he brought something special.

By the same token, I think Evan will do the same = bring something unknown, perhaps unexpected, and just as wonderful. Plus, I think he does better coming in under the radar so to speak. Also when he's not listed as the front runner. Therefore, I am not counting him off the top.

Also correct that Evan doesn't have the same gold medal count as Oda, each year using the GP events to help him peak later in the season which is his target anyway. That said, he has a remarkable MEDAL count - I recall PJ Kwong saying Evan is "one of a very few - if any - to have medaled at 10" ISU competitions. So that speaks to his consistency.

The GP is the training ground - for all the competitors actually - not the end goal. Whatever the results, we're in for a treat! I'm sure neither will disappoint. Let the skating begin!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Pairs

1. Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO (CHN)
2. Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)
3. Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN (CAN)
4. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV (UKR)
5. Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Nodari MAISURADZE (RUS)

Men

1. Nobunari ODA (JPN)
2. Evan LYSACEK (USA)
3. Denis TEN (KAZ)
4. Samuel CONTESTI (ITA)
5. Stephen CARRIERE (USA)

Ladies

1. Joannie ROCHETTE (CAN)
2. Rachael FLATT (USA)
3. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN)
4. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)
5. Fumie SUGURI (JPN)

Ice dancing

1. Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO (USA)
2. Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI (RUS)
3. Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI (ITA)
4. Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN (USA)
5. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, with Asada bombing out of the GPF, Joubert off the podium at TEB and several other surprises, predicting this is rather silly. But I still have fun doing it, so here goes...

Men
1. Nobunari Oda
2. Evan Lysacek

3. Samuel Contesti
4. Yannick Ponsero

5. Denis Ten

Ehh, not bad. I definitely underestimated Voronov, which was silly after TEB, but his score seemed too low for what he did there, so I assumed I didn't know something.

Women
1. Joannie Rochette
2. Rachel Flatt

3. Fumie Suguri
4. Carolina Kostner
5. Mirai Nagasu

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let's start with the top two weren't in my top five (I should've had Suzuki, but Korpi... wouldn't have had her after being burned in by TEB predictions). Then with sure thing Rochette nearly missing the podium thanks to a near ruinous short. Than with Flatt missing the podium with two fifth place finishes. Just an odd event overall.

Kim is just gonna waltz to that gold.

Pairs[/i]b]
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morozov
4. Duhamel/Buntin
5. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze

Patting myself on the back.

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khoklova/Novitski
3. Faiella/Scalia

4. Chock/Zuerlein
5. Zaretski/Zaretski

Again. Interesting to note that both Z/Z and W/P beat the Ukranian Z/V in two events (CD and FD).