Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cup of China Preview

News Cup of China Preview

JR has written a preview for COC. Feel free to comment!

Flatt is widely known for skating to music that charges the intellect rather than the artist, and this season her choices go against that grain.
    That is a highly interesting sentence. Can someone explain it to me? Music is art. Most artists were intellectual, there are very few exceptions, like Satie. And the intellect describes an aspect of a person, artist describes what a person does. Does this mean that La Mer from Debussy does not challenge the artist? Is this music mathematical, rational? What kind of music charges the artist then, if not La Mer from Debussy?

Custom Title
    Is Suzuki supposed to be listed in 3rd? I think she's a medal contender, but the fact that the first non-Joannie sentence reads "Rochette's biggest hurdles will come via American Rachael Flatt and Japan's Fumie Suguri" would suggest that the author thinks that Suguri will be on the podium, no?

Custom Title
    I think what he means that her past music choices tend to be a bit "high brow" and less generically popular. She has not tended to pick as many so-called warhorse pieces as other skaters (or at least the less popular cuts of such warhorse pieces). That may make her seem less accessible to some viewers. I always liked her music choices myself. She's a delightful skater.
    Last edited by jcoates; 10-26-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: word change

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Will anyone here be in China to see the return of Shen & Zhao??

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    That is a highly interesting sentence. Can someone explain it to me? Music is art. Most artists were intellectual, there are very few exceptions, like Satie. And the intellect describes an aspect of a person, artist describes what a person does. Does this mean that La Mer from Debussy does not challenge the artist? Is this music mathematical, rational? What kind of music charges the artist then, if not La Mer from Debussy?
    I'm confused by your statement. Are you saying Erik Satie was not an intellectual? I always thought of him as an intellectual. His music would definitely be a challenge to skate to.
    Last edited by Phoenix347; 10-26-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: fix formating

Custom Title
    Shen Zhao will show us what the real world champion is!!!!

watch out guys

Custom Title
    Mirai
    I am really hoping this will be a good competition for her.I liked her programs from Golden West and think that she can be up there fighting for a medal.Does anyone know her jump layout, any 3x3 planned or 2A+3T?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kalle View Post
    Mirai
    I am really hoping this will be a good competition for her.I liked her programs from Golden West and think that she can be up there fighting for a medal.Does anyone know her jump layout, any 3x3 planned or 2A+3T?
    From her long program at Golden West, I really think she has a 2A-3T planned, because she took a lot of speed to get into her 2axel-2toe, which was one of her first jumps.

Go Bebe!

Quote Originally Posted by yqs100 View Post
    Shen Zhao will show us what the real world champion is!!!!

watch out guys
    I'm lookig forward to see them in action. The videos I've seen show very interesting moves, I can't wait!!

On the Ice
    I 'm a volunteer of COC this year, I am looking forward to see the return of Shen & Zhao

Quote Originally Posted by Jiarry View Post
    I 'm a volunteer of COC this year, I am looking forward to see the return of Shen & Zhao
    How cool! Please feel free to share interesting stuff about the skaters and coaches...

Custom Title
    Elvin has correctly picked one discipline in each competiton thus far. Lol, yes, I'm keeping track.

So far he correctly picked the Ladies at TEB & he also correctly picked the Pairs at Rostelecom Cup. So it seems like he gets at least one discipline correct for each competition. Can't wait to see which discipline he picked correctly for Cup of China.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Elvin has correctly picked one discipline in each competiton thus far. Lol, yes, I'm keeping track.

So far he correctly picked the Ladies at TEB & he also correctly picked the Pairs at Rostelecom Cup. So it seems like he gets at least one discipline correct for each competition. Can't wait to see which discipline he picked correctly for Cup of China.
    I think it'll be the bobsled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast