Asada says "not changing anything" | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Asada says "not changing anything"

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mao's mum? :rofl: So should I really expect her planned 3A-3T this season? or maybe the quad after the olympics? :laugh:

Apparently Mao's mum can hit the 3A in practice which is why she is the one who has been supervising most Mao's practice sessions. ;) :p

Princesspts

Rinkside
:p
^ That was excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap: Is that you? :cool:

Anyway, welcome to Golden Skate. Post often, post long! :)

Maybe. :p I'm trying to start a little video blog of the figure skating season up to and including the Olympics. Hopefully it will help build some interest in figure skating on YouTube, maybe not. But why not try?
And thanks for the welcome!

I was tidying up at home and found a 2006 issue of Blades on Ice Magazine, the one reporting on the Junior World Championship. The ice dance competition podium featured gold medalists Virtue/Moir and bronze medalists Davis and White. (The girls, in stage makeup, look pretty much the same, but the guys look sooooo young!) On the ladies' podium are YuNa with gold, and Mao with silver. (Those two ladies had switched places from the previous year.) It's great seeing these skaters early on. The date of the issue reminds me that none of them is a flash in the pan. They've already shown not only endurance but technical and artistic growth.

Of course, I'm nervous as I write this because of Asada's difficulties, but somehow, seeing her in these photos gives me hope that she'll regain her championship form.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I wonder if it is 3A in SP that is particularly risky or two 3As in LP. She said that if she changed the jumping layout, what she tried last year will be waste. But she didn't do 3A at SP in an ISU event last season. Why 3A in SP this season?.

She did lutz in SP at last Worlds. Doubling it and falling on the second 3A both hurt the result. I understand that lz can be as inconsistent as 3A for her. Somehow 3F-3T looks okay. Why doesn't she do 3F-3T and 3Lp?

BTW, Why doesn't TAT stop her and suggests to play safe as Morosov often does at the last munite? She did at TEB last season, but hasn't since then AFAIK.

I'm hopeful that this brilliant athlete knows herself better than we do and can make this work. The second outing of her FP was, apart from mistakes, much more expressive than the first. I think she can make the music work, and her ability to skate to such powerful music will be a testimony to her greatness.

IOW the music is not her problem, IMO. It's the 3A question. I admire her stubbornness. Talk about a risk-taker with a champion's mindset! She is racing the clock now to pull it together in Feb. Go, Mao! :clap:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I wish she would change the short because Caprice is so nice but I kind of like the long. I have watched Yuna and Mao on TV twice now and I cant remember Yunas music at all, but I do remember Maos. Yunas music is nice but seems very obscure. Maos music certainly gets your attention. I wonder if she skated clean how people would react...

feraina

Record Breaker

(Look under comments for a translation of what she said.)

Oh, dear, this interview does not instill confidence, in me anyway. She looks so unhappy, almost on the verge of tears at times, and trying so hard to squeeze out a smile. Somehow I can't imagine this state of mind can be helping her training very much, nor the eventual competition(s).

What if she comes in 4th at Japanese National's, after Miki, Yukari, and Akiko? It's a real possibility, if she under-rotates or pops those 3A's (the slow-mo of her practice 3A looks UR'ed). Will Japanese federation prop her over Akiko for the Olympics? I'd hate to see either her or Akiko not on the team, that'd be awful! Or what if Yukari is 3rd and Mao 4th? I'd hate to see Yukari not on the team, too. Ack!

I think the Japanese Federation will find a way to put the 2008 World Champion on the Olympic team. Dispite her struggles so far this season, IMHO she remains the only skater who can realistically challenge Yu-na Kim for the OGM.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I wish she would change the short because Caprice is so nice but I kind of like the long. I have watched Yuna and Mao on TV twice now and I cant remember Yunas music at all, but I do remember Maos. Yunas music is nice but seems very obscure. Maos music certainly gets your attention. I wonder if she skated clean how people would react...

Hmm... I would hardly call James Bond medley and Gershwin very obscure. Or Danse Macabre or Scheherazade either. Or Lark Ascending, etc. I don't think either skaters have a problem with their music being obscure.

schiele

Final Flight
Hmm... I would hardly call James Bond medley and Gershwin very obscure. Or Danse Macabre or Scheherazade either. Or Lark Ascending, etc. I don't think either skaters have a problem with their music being obscure.

Relax, I don't think this comment above was for Yuna's general music selections or programmes, which most agree are very good. It's just her LP does not strike you as most of her programmes do, while Mao's LP (despite the hate the music has caused many) can actually be very taunting and effective if she could've also skated clean. That's all.