Petra Burka - Great Canadian figure skater | Golden Skate

Petra Burka - Great Canadian figure skater

prettykeys

Medalist
Why could she do the 3lutz on her first try and never tried it in competition? Weird.

Interesting story, nonetheless.

lcd

Match Penalty
Amazing lady. A natural. Now a true grande dame, and an asset for Skate Canada.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Why could she do the 3lutz on her first try and never tried it in competition? Weird.

Interesting story, nonetheless.

She was a "quick study" if you read the story - she watched Donald Jackson practicing his triple Lutz. In those days ladies did not do more than a double.

jcoates

Medalist
She really was a pioneer for female skaters to attempt more athletic routines. Aside from Carol Heiss, I have not seen much video evidence of top females doing much more than double lutzes pre-Burka. Occasional double axels here and there, but not with the proficiency of Heiss or Burka. Then of course, Peggy Fleming came along as Burka's career was winding down and her complete brand of skating lead the way to the jumping ice princesses we seen the last forty years.

Mafke

Medalist
Then of course, Peggy Fleming came along as Burka's career was winding down and her complete brand of skating lead the way to the jumping ice princesses we seen the last forty years.

It doesn't say so in as many words, but Burka's 1966 bronze finish (after winning the year before) was a much bigger deal then than it would be now and probably largely due to Fleming's superior figures more than her freeskating.

I also lurve the mental image of guys trying to do figures in hockey skates......

Last edited: