Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan Landing the Quad

Patrick Chan Landing the Quad

Patrick landing the quad at Liberty warm-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wru0zU20ZwE

This is the first video I have seen of him landing a quad...it's gorgeous!

Custom Title
    Amazing. It looks like he has been landing it his whole life. He'll be unstoppable with a clean program, IMO.

Custom Title
    Let's don't count our chickens just yet. One landing does not consistent nor competition ready make. Good for him he's trying it.

Tripping on the Podium
    Toll

Custom Title
    Landing a quad in isolation in practice is one thing. Landing the quad in context within a program is another thing entirely. At Liberty, Chan didn't land the quad in the program, or the 3A either, for that matter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Landing a quad in isolation in practice is one thing. Landing the quad in context within a program is another thing entirely. At Liberty, Chan didn't land the quad in the program, or the 3A either, for that matter.

No one is disputing that fact that practice is different than competition. However, it is the first video of Patrick landing a quad that has been seen. I was curious to see what the jump would look like and it a great jump for him as he has fabulous technique on it. Yes, Patrick had a bad skate at Liberty - everyone knows it.

Custom Title
    Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian! Just once I would love to see a certain poster say something nice about a Canadian skater. Guess they forget that some of the more recent Olympic medalist from the US have Canadian roots!

Custom Title
    That quad was amazing though. It doesn't look like the shaky quad that a skater who has just started to land it has. It had speed, good flow and good height. Yeah, landing a quad in a program is definitely different than in practice or warm-up. I'm just excited because that was the first time I've seen him do one and what an amazing one at that!

Well done Chan....your first quad on youtube

Why so negative. He landed it in warm-up in front of an audience. I thought we were hoping for lots of quads at olympics, not just from our favorite skaters. So...be happy for everone who tries. Go Patrick

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Okay, that was seriously good. I guess he is like Lambiel who can land monster quads but still struggle with the axel.

Let's try not to get overexcited though. Johnny has been landing perfect quads in combonation for years but has yet to land a good one in competition. Skating at your first olympics in your home country....let's see if he can do anything close to that there.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    That quad was amazing though. It doesn't look like the shaky quad that a skater who has just started to land it has. It had speed, good flow and good height. Yeah, landing a quad in a program is definitely different than in practice or warm-up. I'm just excited because that was the first time I've seen him do one and what an amazing one at that!
    Exactly! That quad was absolutely picture perfect: awesome speed going in, no hesitation, fluid take-of, nice height, tight rotation, clean landing along with loads of speed. This definitely would receive high positive GOE if he did it like that during competition. Let's cross our fingers skatingbc

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Okay, that was seriously good. I guess he is like Lambiel who can land monster quads but still struggle with the axel.

Let's try not to get overexcited though. Johnny has been landing perfect quads in combonation for years but has yet to land a good one in competition. Skating at your first olympics in your home country....let's see if he can do anything close to that there.
    I would say Patrick's triple axel is much more consistent than Lambiel's. Lambiel has been on the World scene for much longer than Patrick and has never had a steady axel.

I don't think anything is wrong with Patrick's fans getting excited about his progress. We have whole threads praising Caroline Zhang and Sasha Cohen and getting excited about everything they do. Patrick achieved a great feat in his competitive career....I say cheer away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
    Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian! Just once I would love to see a certain poster say something nice about a Canadian skater. Guess they forget that some of the more recent Olympic medalist from the US have Canadian roots!
    Nobody slammed Patrick in this thread. And lots of posters here don't even want to see a Quad and never accused him of cowardice. I want to see a Quad and already commented in the Liberty thread on his good attempt in the actual program.

What people are pointing out here is that there are amazing videos out there of Johnny Weir landing perfect Quads and 4-3-2s in practise - but now the guy is 25 and we still haven't seen a clean Quad in competition. Same goes for Oda, who landed his first clean Quad at these Worlds, but there have been great practise videos of him landing great Quads since 2006.

But yeah, several people are a bit chansitive these days. That has a lot to do with him getting massively overmarked at at least two competitions the past season (at least Plushenko was landing 3As and Quads while being badly overmarked). Comments like this one aren't really helpful either - gushing and hyping is often a turn-off for some:
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    Amazing. It looks like he has been landing it his whole life. He'll be unstoppable with a clean program, IMO.
    And I am also amazed, and not in a good way, by the amount of articles about Chan that talk non-stop about how great he is, how superior his skating is, how intricate his choreography, how fantastic his transitions, how brilliant his spins (that to me are only above average, not even half as good as e.g. Abbott's or back then Buttle's spins) how cute and normal and what a great person he is. It all sounds like propaganda. At some point people will believe it.

I just want Joubert to come out of hiding (it's always so quiet around Joubert during the off-season) and make some propaganda for himself - or he might have lost the battle for Vancouver before it has even begun. He needs to put his face out there, get some audiences swooning (he is real good at that), have some gushing articles written about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    And I am also amazed, and not in a good way, by the amount of articles about Chan that talk non-stop about how great he is, how superior his skating is, how intricate his choreography, how fantastic his transitions, how brilliant his spins (that to me are only above average, not even half as good as e.g. Abbott's or back then Buttle's spins) how cute and normal and what a great person he is. It all sounds like propaganda. At some point people will believe it.

I just want Joubert to come out of hiding (it's always so quiet around Joubert during the off-season) and make some propaganda for himself - or he might have lost the battle for Vancouver before it has even begun. He needs to put his face out there, get some audiences swooning (he is real good at that), have some gushing articles written about him.
    Medusa, if the articles bother you...don't read them. They are mostly Canadian articles written and posted on CTV Olympics site. Of course they are going to praise Patrick. Most of us here in Canada are excited about the Olympics and our medal hopefuls...which include Patrick.

Maybe it only seems like propaganda to you because Patrick is the biggest threat to your favorites. Therefore, you don't want to believe it. As for people being chan-sensitive you are anti-chan. How is that any better?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast