So why did Rafael and Mao separate? | Golden Skate

So why did Rafael and Mao separate?

Basics

On the Ice
Maybe I'm the only one here doesn't know this.:cool: Anywayz, I thought they were really a good team. I truly enjoyed Mao skating with soft classics like Nocturne and Czardas.:love: So what happened to them?

IMO, TAT's grandeur music style just doesn't suit Mao at all. Also, I think she's not the right coach if Mao's looking for technical support.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
I heard something to the effect that Mao returning to Japan was not the situation Rafael wanted to be in as a coach.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I heard something to the effect that Mao returning to Japan was not the situation Rafael wanted to be in as a coach.

It makes sense. If Rafael does not have a say in important aspect of coaching, he may naturally do not want to take responsibility for Mao's result.

prettykeys

Medalist
Yep. Also, Mao's Nocturne and Czardas (and many of her older favourites) were the work of Lori Nichol, not Rafael himself. :)

cornell08

Final Flight
I rewatched both programs ^ today....Czardas is especially exquisite-- and I wouldn't even really call it 'soft' either, it really builds up momentum but varies to avoid redundancy and the audience gets into it too :) Sigh....I don't think I'd like anyone skating to the programs TAT creates for Mao. The only program of TAT's I really enjoyed was Yagudin's Olympic long...and I have to believe he's more of a visionary than Mao (or at least, a more vocal one), so I don't even know how much credit I'd even give TAT for that.