Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Junior Grand Prix Final (December 3-6, Tokyo)

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar

Junior Grand Prix Final (December 3-6, Tokyo)

Surprised not to see a thread on this. It's not too early to start our prediptions! Is there a final list of the lineups?

(Mods, please erase this if it's redundant.)

Custom Title
    The finalists of the ISU Junior Grand Prix are :

MEN

1 Yuzuru Hanyu JPN 30 Pts.
    2 Ross Miner USA 28 Pts.
    3 Nan Song CHN 28 Pts.
    4 Artur Gachinski RUS 28 Pts.
    5 Kento Nakamura JPN 24 Pts.
    6 Stanislav Kovalev RUS 24 Pts.
    7 Richard Dornbush USA 22 Pts.
    8 Grant Hochstein USA 22 Pts.

Alternates : Austin Kanallakan (USA), Gordei Gorshkov (RUS), Zhan Bush (RUS).

LADIES

1 Kanako Murakami JPN 30 Pts.
    2 Polina Shelepen RUS 30 Pts.
    3 Kiri Baga USA 30 Pts.
    4 Angela Maxwell USA 26 Pts.
    5 Ksenia Makarova RUS 24 Pts.
    6 Christina Gao USA 22 Pts.
    7 Anna Ovcharova RUS 20 Pts.
    8 Ellie Kawamura USA 20 Pts.

Alternates : Yuki Nishino (JPN), Kristine Musademba (USA), Kate Charbonneau (CAN).

PAIRS

1 Sui / Han CHN 30 Pts.
    2 Takahashi / Tran JPN 26 Pts.
    3 Hole / Johnson CAN 26 Pts.
    4 Zhang / Wang CHN 26 Pts.
    5 Novik / Kuznetsov RUS 20 Pts.
    6 Simpson / Miller USA 20 Pts.
    7 Vasilieva / Shevchuk RUS 18 Pts.
    8 Stolbova / Klimov RUS 17 Pts.

Alternates : Jones / Gaskell (CAN), Morand / Dorsaz (SUI), Bird / Schultz (CAN).

DANCE :

1 Shibutani / Shibutani USA 30 Pts.
    2 Monko / Khaliavin RUS 30 Pts.
    3 Ilynikch / Katsalapov RUS 30 Pts.
    4 Pushkash / Guerreiro RUS 28 Pts.
    5 Ralph / Hill CAN 26 Pts.
    6 Alessandrini / Vaturi ITA 24 Pts.
    7 Antipova / Kudashev RUS 22 Pts.
    8 Cannuscio / Lorello USA 22 Pts.

Alternates : Routhier /SauckeLacelle (CAN), Agafonova / Dun (UKR), Baturintseva / Bolobuiev (RUS).

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

I like that both Junior and Senior Grand Prix Finals are on the same event again. That way we could get HQ videos from the Junior competitions like last year
    Last edited by SamuraiKike; 10-28-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Are the russians taking over all the disciplines lol

My first thought exactly! Russia is the new Japan?

Banned
    With the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, could anyone wonder why the level of motivation would be so high. Top juniors from this season set themselves up well for the next cycle. For now it is push/shove to see who can get to the front of the line, at least for now, and the level of hunger has to be at a relative all time high. Never a Winter Olympics in Russia before.

Custom Title
    Shibutani & Shibutani for the OGM in Sochi/2014!

Rinkside
    AGREED!!!!!

Custom Title
    My bet is on the ID title being a showdown between Shibutani/Shibutani and Ilinykh/Katsalapov...but the lack of CD certainly favors the Shibutanis.

Hard to see anyone but Hanyu, Murakami and Cong/Han winning the other disciplines. I think Shelepen & Miner have a shot if the first two falter...

I'm most excited to see how Angela Maxwell (aka "Hooker Nails" on Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand) does. That girl is so much fun to watch. Murakami is a beauty.

I don't have strong feelings about the rest of the ladies (yet). Anybody here crazy about Kiri Baga? I'd love to hear reasons.

Custom Title
    I like her the most out of the American juniors. Great skating skills, good choreography that she interprets very well. Definitely not bland or your typical princessy type. Her SP is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I like her the most out of the American juniors. Great skating skills, good choreography that she interprets very well. Definitely not bland or your typical princessy type. Her SP is excellent.
    Are you talking about Maxwell or Baga? Sounds like the former, but you never know.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I don't have strong feelings about the rest of the ladies (yet). Anybody here crazy about Kiri Baga? I'd love to hear reasons.
    Baga fan right here. There's really nothing negative I can really say about her at the moment other then she needs to get her jumps under control in the free skate. She's got good speed, great extension, fast spins, big jumps (when they're landed), nice musicality, and superb skating skills. She sorta reminds me of a mini Sasha..only better at this age

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    Shibutani & Shibutani for the OGM in Sochi/2014!
    Definitely

Shibutanis again have two excellent programs this season. Too bad only on icenetwork, I have not found any of this year on youtube. Somebody please post!! They earned +3 scores for many elements this year, even footwork. Their twizzles do not look like required elements. They look like beautiful moves to music. When seniors see them skate at final they will think they better stay sharp or look out! While I always follow ladies, Shibutanis opened my heart to ice dance.

Ladies I worry and get my heart broken too much (except maybe with Yuna) with jumps. Brings back all the old stress memories ( I hated short program Murakami has been so impressive. Last year I thought so cute!! this year, I can see in her a senior lady. I love the lightness of her jumps. She grew a lot but also matured a lot. And soo exciting for Baga. Fresh faced surprise. I love it. They did not even give her 2 assignments to begin with! Only a newcomer once. I am sure she will make the most of it. Can't wait for Final.

Rinkside
    Maia and Alex are amazing! Can't wait for them to skate senior.

I too wish this season's programs could be on YouTube. Someone please post!!

Binthere I agree there is no question Shibutanis are amazing technicians and very mature performances. Just like Davis/White, Virtue/Moir. Except I don't think D/W and V/M had such good elements and skating when they compete junior. I see picture on Korea skating board of upside down spin lift!?!? There skills look more difficult this new year.

I have seen other junior teams on YouTube and while they are talented, they are not as polished, elegant, skillfull as Shibutani. When I watch Shibutanis I see a story. I get closed into them.

I think Shibutanis are ambassadors of ice dance to Asia (where skating is so so so so popular). They are so great for this sport ice dance and so many people follow ice dance now who might not because there is great Asian/American team coming up!

Custom Title
    Most posts her suggests a cake walk for Shibutanis, but i think it could be a rather close contest between the shibutanis and the russians. the score from the contests are considerably close.

Shibutanis 175.95 (USA) 171.99 (CRO)
    Ilynikch / Katsalapov 166.06 (HUN) 171.61 (POL)
    Monko / Khaliavin 167.65 (BLR) 173.15 (TUR).

I know score from competition to competitions are hard to compare, especially in ice dancing. But, these two Zhulin pairs seems to better tan some of the russian senior pairs (i like both these pairs, they can definitely knock teams like K/N).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast