Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: OD 9:15 am Eastern time Friday

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Also I hope W&P can move past the OD performance and skate well in the FD.
    I hope that for them, too. I thought they looked gorgeous and I really enjoy their skating. They are better than that OD score reflects, imo. Good luck to them in the FD!

Rinkside
    I know that not many people would catch this, but did anyone else know that C/Z used Japanese Taiko drums during the midline section of their OD? That specific piece is called "Strobe's Nanafushi" by a very famous taiko group in Japan called "Kodo."

I've seen it used for Asian set programs, but not Afro-Cuban. Obviously their component scores weren't hurt so bad considering their range was in the high fives.

I like Ben with a little fur on his face... his upper lip is too naked...

that being said I love watching them skate. Not overly excited about the program (must be my North American-ness) but I love their energy, which is why I've been a fan for so long...

That specific piece is called "Strobe's Nanafushi" by a very famous taiko group in Japan called "Kodo."
    LOVE that music... Stars On Ice used Strobes Nanfushi for their opening in 2000/01, it was fantastic (wish I'd seen it live).
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 10-31-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Custom Title
    I like Ben clean shaven but I do have to get used to him looking that way as he wore a beard for so long. I did a double take when I saw pictures of him and Tanith from the Olympic summit a couple of months ago.

I'm North American and I love B&A's OD although perhaps my views shouldn't count as I've always been a fan of the European and Russian skaters as well as the American and Canadians.

I'm doubly :frown2: that I missed C&Z as they skated to Afro-Cuban music. For some reason I thought they were skating to one of the European folk dances then remembered that was S&G. Hopefully I'll be able to catch one of the repeats since Universal Sports shows the short and long programs throughout the week until the next GP airs.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Does anyone know some more about the particular Moldavian song Tanith and Ben skated to? They seem to be freeing a bird in the beginning of the program, and I'd love to learn what that is all about! I thought they were clearly far and away the best of the teams here.

I finally got to watch most of the programs. The link here at the hospital is only good in the wee small hours and by 5 am, it grinds to a slow crawl.

I, too, am so sad for W&P-that program looks like it could be very elegant, and very flamenco, if they can succeed in skating it well. And then did quite a good golden waltz...I was hoping they could take fourth here.

F&S skated a very successful and charming regional tarantella in 2007 (pizzica) and I wonder whether it was wise to do something similar again this year. I know I felt a little 'I've seen this before' while watching it.

I have to watch K&N's program again...I was too distracted by the costumes to see anything about the dance other than the flexibility moves.

Certainly Russian folk dance seems to have lots of bright colored floral costumes, but I'll have to wait for our Russian posters to say whether Jana Khokhlova is showing a particular Russian style or whether it is her own OTT interpretation.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I, too, am so sad for W&P-that program looks like it could be very elegant, and very flamenco, if they can succeed in skating it well. And then did quite a good golden waltz...I was hoping they could take fourth here.

I have to watch K&N's program again...I was too distracted by the costumes to see anything about the dance other than the flexibility moves.
    I so agree. I loved that flamenco, it even topped virtue and moirs in my book, but the fall really killed them.

K&N did not seem to take the dance seriously and just showed off thier tricks to russian music.

I LOVED Tanith and Ben. Finally the team of 2006. They had speed, difficultly, I am so happy to see them trying new difficult lifts. They looked beautiful and had charming chemistry. perfect.

On the Ice
    Next to D/W, B/A's OD is my favorite so far. This was a really good style for them and highlights their strengths. I loved the red boot covers too.

They were a little slow in some sections but this is the first time they have performed the OD in competition and it will only get better.

The other OD I enjoyed was W/P's Flamenco. I must say that I enjoyed the character of this dance much better than I do with V/M and C/P. The way Weaver used the fan in the choreography and their dance lifts were great. They are not at the level of technique as V/M but I just enjoyed their interpretation of the flamenco better.

I was disappointed with F/S' OD but that is because I loved the other Italian Folk program they did a couple of years ago. But maybe this will grow on me as the season goes along.

C/Z---what can I say? She is fierce. She has an amazing look on the ice but they are still young and have a lot to learn. Zurlein will need to work on balancing his presentation and expression while still presenting Chock.

K/N--I didn't like the program. Great lifts though.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    LOVE that music... Stars On Ice used Strobes Nanfushi for their opening in 2000/01, it was fantastic (wish I'd seen it live).
    I guess my main concern is that they are skating to JAPANESE music for an AFRO-CUBAN program. Technically, the incorrect choice of music must be penalized. Why would you even want to risk being deducted for something like that?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4