Ladies SP - 3:55 am Eastern Time Friday | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 3:55 am Eastern Time Friday

schiele

Final Flight
I hope Joannie will rise from this. I absolutely loved that SP programme and think she totally deserved those high PCSs.. She sold me the music, the choreo, the feeling even with the total pissed off look on her face during spirals.. Some rare skaters have the ability to show musicality and make you enjoy the programme even when the jumps are falling apart.. Rochette for instance, Kostner (sometimes), Asada, Ponsero, Verner etc... Respect is in order.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But what if the PCS total was, say, divided by 2 (so it's only 1/3 instead of 1/2 the score)? Even more radical, they can be tossed out completely, if skating wanted to be actually *objective*.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
congra to Mirai, I just wonder if she adjusted to time difference or not, coz someone on-site said her speed was not that fabulous....
Really SHOCK at Joannie's score:cry: What HAPPENED????

It's called BSPS (bomb the short program sydrone). lol She had bombs her SP numeruous occasion before so itès not suprising. But I think she can still make the podium and win. The only skater she has to watch out for is Kostner, and if she skate it clean and land her 3+3, 10 points maybe a little too much to catch up, but not impossible.

Medusa

Record Breaker
How old is Mirai and how old is Akiko?
Is Mirai supposed to be skating like a 24 year old? Give ger another year and I wouldn't be surprised to see her doing very well, and even getting marks that reflect what she did on the ice.

I didn't see Akikko yet, only know she is much older than Mirai.....:)
The judges should totally ignore the age. It would be like considering an injury. If Mirai needs another year to skate less awkward, less choppy and more to the music, then she needs another year. I found her performance to be by far inferior to Akiko's, and not just by the 0,32 PCS Akiko got more.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think Marai is not bad at all. I expect she will improve her SP by next GP assignment. If i want to see a world champion coming from out of the US crops, it will be her and Ashley. They both have the look at me attitude and IT factors.

I hope she can maintain her momentum and stay on the podium for at least a medal. Both she and Kostner need to be on the podium to get the confident back. If Kostner win, she can still get into the final with tie breaker, but its a long shot.

The FS will be exciting. =)

janetfan

Match Penalty
The judges should totally ignore the age. It would be like considering an injury. If Mirai needs another year to skate less awkward, less choppy and more to the music, then she needs another year. I found her performance to be by far inferior to Akiko's, and not just by the 0,32 PCS Akiko got more.

OK, I understand and accept your view. Apparently the crowd in attendance, who saw it live disagreed with you. Of course, that is not any real proof - but I have nothing against a coltish performance or a mature one. I can't compare coz I did not see Akiko - but I thought Mirai looked good.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm glad she did well in the SP but I'll definitely wait until after the FS to celebrate (if she nails that too, of course)

OMG! Just rememebered Mirai is doing Carmen.
Is she starting off with two strikes against her?
Not for me as I happen to love the music from Carmen but I know many music aficionados here can't stand it.

She will have to lose a little bit of the remaining "cuteness" factor to pull it off.
Go Mirai!!!!!!!!! :love:

gourry

Final Flight
Just finished watching top 7 ladies.
I loved Mirai, Caro and Akiko!:love:
Mirai, Caro, welcome back!:clap:
Akiko joined my favorites since last season. I especially loved her Tango Ex!!:love: So far, I like both of her programs and wish her the best!
As for Carolina, I like everything about this season's SP of her except....
Oh, please do something with your costume, will you?? Since I already noticed it, it totally makes me worried and really distracts. I understand Cavalli is a great designer and everything but Caro is not walking on the catwalk, she has to do spins, spirals for god's sake! Give her something comfortable and of appropriate material for sport.
And am I the only one who doesn't like her new sitspin position?(broken leg position? what's the name?):p
Joannie looked totally off and angry today... Too bad, but I know she can come back strong in LP!!

Anyway, this is far more interesting competition than I expected.

janetfan

Match Penalty
right. i feel like this is degenerating into a case of the “let’s make fun of the pretty blonde girl”… no, scrap that. she’s GORGEOUS.

Poor girl was compared to Grace kelly. Oh, the horror of it all.:chorus: Actually, since Grace Kelly was from my home town I think the comparison is a fair one. Kiira is a striking looking lady and a pleasant skater. I prefer Laura, but she is not exactly chopped liver either.
Gooooo Mirai :rock:

Medusa

Record Breaker
right. i feel like this is degenerating into a case of the “let’s make fun of the pretty blonde girl”…
Tragic... Pretty blonde girls are such an endangered and bullied species.

We are making good-natured fun of most people here, Lysacek is now an overgrown raven flapping to Stravinsky and I could go through the Plushenko thread and look for all the metaphors we found for Mr. Mullet.

That said, I think she is highly overrated. By far inferior to the other Finnish ladies, especially Lepistö, in most areas of her skating.

gourry

Final Flight
Where/how did you watch the 7 ladies? I can only find Mirai and Akiko's SP on youtube...links? Gracias!

If you go a few pages back, there is a link for Mirai's SP, and that same Youtube user also posted other SPs but Kiira's. (Ok, so I watched top 7 ladies except Kiira.:p) De nada!

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
I think compared to Akiko, Nagasu looked absolutely juniorish, not in sync with her music, lanky, awkward, hesitant before her jumps - she also might have been fast, but fast and choppy, and not at all fluent like Akiko e.g. And not all of her spins are good, that camel during the combination spin was mediocre at best. I think she got very good marks for her performance.

my impression:
While Akiko certainly does have more flair and maturity, I don't feel like it is expressed on a consitent level throughout her performance. Her skating is probably smoother, but I wouldn't put what I saw today a complete tier above Nagasu. The footwork section is mighty impressive and where she really shines, but other moments then feel like a bit of a letdown in comparison, not everything she does is to the level of that footwork. Mirai is no slouch, has something unique in her style, and while there is certainly roughness all around, the charm still does come through loud and clear, and I think having better spins helps her carry a certain flair all the way through the program, which is what I appreciated more in her performance.

I'll have to rewatch though, I was typing PbP when I formed that impression.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

Mirai was scored higher than Akiko I believe only in TES. To be fair to Mirai imo her spins were superior to Akiko. I have to wait for the protocols but Mirai probably received level 4 not sure what Akika received today maybe level 2 because I thought her spins were off today. I agree that Akiko has more elegance and maturity on the ice than Mirai and imo her PC's reflected that
(could have been higher ) Also Akiko's program had excellent footwork section The best today..

shallwedansu

On the Ice
It wasn't Mirai who was overscored. It was Akiko who was underscored. BIG difference. IMO, there shouldn't be an issue between Akiko's and Mirai's scores, but it should be between Akiko's and Kiira's or even Rachael, who received higher PCS than Akiko.