Ladies SP - 3:55 am Eastern Time Friday | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 3:55 am Eastern Time Friday

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I can't describe how happy I am about the results. MIRAI :love:, I knew she'd make it to the top one day. Let's just hope she can have a decent free skate so she can clinch the gold.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I can't describe how happy I am about the results. MIRAI :love:, I knew she'd make it to the top one day. Let's just hope she can have a decent free skate so she can clinch the gold.

Yes, that would be a great start for Mirai!
Hope she has a bit of the killer instinct in her and skates clean tomorrow. :rock:

aunm88

Rinkside
I'm so happy for Mirai! That was a really nice program from her. Although...doesn't anyone find that weird squatting thing she does in the middle of her footwork kind of...unattractive? It's around the 3min mark in the youtube link posted earlier. Aside from that though, I liked that!

cornell08

Final Flight
Yeah its unattractive and awkward looking-- you get a clearer view of it from her Golden West performance.

steyn

On the Ice
I think the reason that Mirai's PCS was low is because she skated in the first group. She will get better PCS tommorrow, I guess.

By the way, some people complain that the current system is bad because the result is almost predictible after SP. But this competition proves such complaint is not true. COP system can be a lot more interesting than old 6.0 system if there are many capable contenders. You cannot still count out Joannie at LP who is not even in the second group at LP.

The only case that the final result is rather predictable after SP is only when one skater is truly dominant, like Ladies at TEB this year. But then such a dominant skater deserves it, so there is nothing wrong.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Geez, wasn't the point of CoP to just score what you see on the ice and that younger skaters and skaters in the lower bracket would be treated with some semblance of fairness?
This scoring system appears if anything to be even more reputation based than 6.0.

The casual viewer sees only the numbers, yet the dedicated skating fans can dig up the underlying agenda. Under 6.0 it was more obvious. I think it's clear why the Cop was constructed the way it was. :cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The casual viewer sees only the numbers, yet the dedicated skating fans can dig up the underlying agenda. Under 6.0 it was more obvious. I think it's clear why the Cop was constructed the way it was. :cool:

Yes, of course. To kill clean programs, to discourage originality and to make it easier to justify scoring by reputation. :cool: :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for the skating, I woke up this morning, checked my mail and found a notification of a reply to the Coc Predictions thread in my inbox, and the reply said simply "Dammit Joannie!" Then I was like, Oh man, what happened THIS time?! Then I checked this thread. GP events are among the hardest to "predict" (save for events with Yuna Kim in them) because you just don't know what you're gonna get with the competitors. I was surprised (but not shocked) to see Nagasu ahead. The SP was never Rochette's strong suit but I expect her to make up a bit of ground in the FS. Even if she messes up a couple of the jumps I'm sure her presentation score will be padded enough anyway.

I just finished watching the On-Demand feed on IN. Everyone else is kind of close. I didn't expect Korpi to break 60 though...I think there will be some change of order in the FS. I do hope Nagasu can hold on for the victory (or the medal).

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
As for the skating, I woke up this morning, checked my mail and found a notification of a reply to the Coc Predictions thread in my inbox, and the reply said simply "Dammit Joannie!" Then I was like, Oh man, what happened THIS time?! Then I checked this thread. GP events are among the hardest to "predict" (save for events with Yuna Kim in them) because you just don't know what you're gonna get with the competitors. I was surprised (but not shocked) to see Nagasu ahead. The SP was never Rochette's strong suit but I expect her to make up a bit of ground in the FS. Even if she messes up a couple of the jumps I'm sure her presentation score will be padded enough anyway.

I just finished watching the On-Demand feed on IN. Everyone else is kind of close. I didn't expect Korpi to break 60 though...I think there will be some change of order in the FS. I do hope Nagasu can hold on for the victory (or the medal).
I did not expect Kiira be second either. But I get a strange suspision that it's because The Technical Controller was Finnish at this event. :cool:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although...doesn't anyone find that weird squatting thing she does in the middle of her footwork kind of...unattractive? It's around the 3min mark in the youtube link posted earlier. Aside from that though, I liked that!

awww, come on, the besti squat is a classic skating move. Show some love. ;)

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think compared to Akiko, Nagasu looked absolutely juniorish, not in sync with her music, lanky, awkward, hesitant before her jumps - she also might have been fast, but fast and choppy, and not at all fluent like Akiko e.g. And not all of her spins are good, that camel during the combination spin was mediocre at best. I think she got very good marks for her performance.

The skinny blond fish was very overmarked.

fairly4

Medalist
mirai ur--her jumps.
caroline zhang rotated her jumps in teb and they nailed her for ur's like they did at golden west.
mirai was way overscored, but hey-she is what usfsa, wants with frank

but otherwise a decent job, rachel same as usual,
joannie is she really confident and can handle the pressue--
this was the first time pressure was put on joannie for coming in first--expecting to come in first (she still can long program--) more pressure is on rachel this year instead of just coming in under wire.

in other words, mira and rachel just skated--didn't fight or do anything why-usfsa wants them up there and will cheat for them to stay up there.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think compared to Akiko, Nagasu looked absolutely juniorish, not in sync with her music, lanky, awkward, hesitant before her jumps - she also might have been fast, but fast and choppy, and not at all fluent like Akiko e.g. And not all of her spins are good, that camel during the combination spin was mediocre at best. I think she got very good marks for her performance.

The skinny blond fish was very overmarked.

How old is Mirai and how old is Akiko?
Is Mirai supposed to be skating like a 24 year old? Give ger another year and I wouldn't be surprised to see her doing very well, and even getting marks that reflect what she did on the ice.

I didn't see Akikko yet, only know she is much older than Mirai.....:)

harmy18

Rinkside
congra to Mirai, I just wonder if she adjusted to time difference or not, coz someone on-site said her speed was not that fabulous....
Really SHOCK at Joannie's score:cry: What HAPPENED????

I was a bit surprised by her low TES, I know she only did a Triple Toeloop as the solo jump, but it was still a low TES.
me 2
I guess there might be some fault besides spin, waiting for protocol:scratch:

How old is Mirai and how old is Akiko?
Mirai was born in 1993 whilst Akiko was born in 1985, accord. to ISU data

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
m mirai is 16 i think akiko is around 21-23.

outside of the ur on the jump--she did ur--she did improve from golden west
but outside of that she did a good job.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Geez, wasn't the point of CoP to just score what you see on the ice and that younger skaters and skaters in the lower bracket would be treated with some semblance of fairness?
This scoring system appears if anything to be even more reputation based than 6.0.

Mao can skate miserably and get highest pcs and Mirai can skate very well and get lowest pcs.

Mirai may still be a work in progress but her skating appears to be much more polished than what I saw from Alena last week.
Not to mention Mirai's posture and speed are good.

That's what I thought COP is supposed to be, just judge according to what happened on the ice. After awhile the PCS have become more or less based on reputation and I disagree with it. The CoP is a bit more fair than the 6.0. PCS are subjective because it's based on performance, choreography, interpretation etc. Seriously I think it's most subjective on choreography and interpretation since this will be based on how the choreographer design a skater's program.