Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Men's SP 5:45 am Eastern Time Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I've never known Oda to make more than 1 mistake in a program, discounting the cases where he has done "too many jumps" and gets screwed by CoP.

He's very consistent.

It is almost impossible to believe he is not the World Champion.
    ETA: As soon as he skated onto the ice I saw his first mistake: that silly costume
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-30-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    It is almost impossible to believe he is not the World Champion.
    Where did he come in last year?
    7th. But that was only because he lost A LOT of points due to combination rules.. Oda missed the previous season due to some personal issues, and I think last season he was just getting back into the swing of things competition wise (he only had one GP event) He seemed to be getting better at worlds and WTT. He beat Chan there, but his programs were crap last year.

He needs to really kick butt though this season if he wants the judges to be willing to give him the OGM. I think if he beats Lyseck here. Wins GPF, and starts landing quads, Oda will be making a strong case for himself. His long program is so strong, and if he adds a quad to that, it will be the whole package that has been missing for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    7th. But that was only because he lost A LOT of points due to combination rules.. Oda missed the previous season due to some personal issues, and I think last season he was just getting back into the swing of things competition wise (he only had one GP event) He seemed to be getting better at worlds and WTT. He beat Chan there, but his programs were crap last year.

He needs to really kick butt though this season if he wants the judges to be willing to give him the OGM. I think if he beats Lyseck here. Wins GPF, and starts landing quads, Oda will be making a strong case for himself. His long program is so strong, and if he adds a quad to that, it will be the whole package that has been missing for awhile.
    I was kidding because evey skater makes mistakes

Custom Title
    I see there has been some discussion about Evan's costume, so maybe the question was addressed already. But since I really want to know, I will ask anyway: why is the costume black? I thought he was performing the firebird, right? And the firebird is supposed to be colorful, like Yukari Nakano's version. Was he trying to portray some other character?

It's not a sarcastic question. I thought his program was fine, but I just could not help but keep wondering why the costume is black when I watched it. BTW, the Chinese announcers seemed to like this program, and the female announcer even said this program really fits Evan Lysacek's character/persona--- I'm not sure I understand what she meant (my guess is that she thought this program is passionate, and passion suits Lysacek). So, yeah, I think I need to understand why it is black first.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieH View Post
    I see there has been some discussion about Evan's costume, so maybe the question was addressed already. But since I really want to know, I will ask anyway: why is the costume black? I thought he was performing the firebird, right? And the firebird is supposed to be colorful, like Yukari Nakano's version. Was he trying to portray some other character?

It's not a sarcastic question. I thought his program was fine, but I just could not help but keep wondering why the costume is black when I watched it. BTW, the Chinese announcers seemed to like this program, and the female announcer even said this program really fits Evan Lysacek's character/persona--- I'm not sure I understand what she meant (my guess is that she thought this program is passionate, and passion suits Lysacek). So, yeah, I think I need to understand why it is black first.
    A little known fact but Evan is a huge fan of Johnny Cash, "The Man in Black."
    (Not to be confused with the motion picture "Men in Black," parts 1 & 2)

Watch for Evan's new exhibition music this year, the old Johnny Cash standard "A Boy Named Sue."
    Weir is so jealous about this he almost quit skating - again.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-30-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Was he trying to portray some other character?
    I think he is Prince Ivan.

http://www.mythinglinks.org/Firebird...y~980620_1.jpg

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar

Duh! Black is the new sequin/ruffle/lace this season in figure skating!

Examples:
    Virtue/Moir CD + OD, Dube/Davison SP, Yuna Kim SP, Oda SP + LP, Plushenko SP + LP, Rochette SP, Alissa Czisny SP, Kozuka LP, Mirai SP, Akiko Suzuki SP and so on and on...(not that I mind)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    His many great Euro fans might think he is the Prince of Darkness

http://www.vampyres-online.com/image...lugosi_big.jpg
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-30-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I think that Oda should go for clean in the short program. If he is landing a 4/3 consistently in the long then maybe it would be worth it to try it in the short program. But until then, I think that he can be in fighting distance of Plushenko in the short program with just a 3/3....I mean his long program is so superior to Plushenko's.
    Tell that to the judges.

Oda needs a Quad in both the SP and LP to defeat Plushenko.

Custom Title

I think I heard/read that he is portraying Prince Ivan NOT the firebird so black is completely within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Tell that to the judges.

Oda needs a Quad in both the SP and LP to defeat Plushenko.
    I say look at the scores. Plushenko only got a 157 for a free skate that had a quad and two triple axels. His program and choregraphy sucks. Oda got a 163 in France for a program with no quad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    A little known fact but Evan is a huge fan of Johnny Cash, "The Man in Black."
    (Not to be confused with the motion picture "Men in Black," parts 1 & 2)

Watch for Evan's new exhibition music this year, the old Johnny Cash standard "A Boy Named Sue."
    Weir is so jealous about this he almost quit skating - again.
    :

On the Ice
    I say look at the scores. Plushenko only got a 157 for a free skate that had a quad and two triple axels. His program and choregraphy sucks. Oda got a 163 in France for a program with no quad.
    You cannot compare Oda's score at TEB with Plushenko's at RC. Different judges give different scores, of course. Remember 2009 worlds? Joubert was still marked first with a mistaken SP, ahead of Canadian Chan, the judges' new favorite. I think quads really count when it comes to big competitions, like Winter Olympics.
    Last edited by wonderland; 10-30-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schiele View Post
    Remember Joubert with the feathers at last year's Masters? Don't think I've seen worse..
    need I remind you of Joubert's ship sails costume? I think that's way worse than anything Feathers can do

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    You cannot compare Oda's score at TEB with Plushenko's at RC. Different judges give different scores, of course. Remember 2009 worlds? Joubert was still marked first with a mistaken SP, ahead of Canadian Chan, the judges' new favorite. I think quads really count when it comes to big competitions, like Winter Olympics.
    that is becuase joubert didn't double like plushy did; the point is that if Plushy score 90 with a perfect short; oda will only be seven points back with his 3/3 short; which he can make up with his cop friendly long

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast