Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 199

Thread: Men's SP 5:45 am Eastern Time Friday

  1. #121
    Brazilian Eurotrash beep_beep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushy arms could stay were they are, thank you. Evgeni cannot pull off feathers anyway.
    Well, I don't think anything other than birds can pull off feathers...
    it doesn't seem to stop the skaters though...

  2. #122
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    15
    I feel so sorry for Ponsero, he can do such a beautiful quad. Seems his work with his mental trainer doesn't help at all...

  3. #123
    End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    Well, I don't think anything other than birds can pull off feathers...
    it doesn't seem to stop the skaters though...
    Remember Joubert with the feathers at last year's Masters? Don't think I've seen worse..

  4. #124
    End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    I feel so sorry for Ponsero, he can do such a beautiful quad. Seems his work with his mental trainer doesn't help at all...
    Yes, it does not look promising, first in TEB and now here, his mental issues prevail.. What a waste of talent!

  5. #125
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    239
    Great competition!

    My favorite SP is Evan's. Not a big fan of the firebird music, but he made it work magically. He's really skating to the music, so powerful and beautiful to watch. He improved significantly artistry wise, the ballet training surely paid off. I'm so impressed with his dazzling footwork! His TES is lower than I expected, other than the edge call, his jumps are very clean and smooth. I love the prince look costume too , only complain is that I want to see a little more color than just black. I hope he'll rock the LP!

    Sergei is a pleasant surprise, great jump technique! I hope he can keep improving his music interpretation.

    Oda is getting better and better! He's definitely the front-runner in GP. Even Plushy needs to take notes on this little guy. But I still don't like his SP.

  6. #126
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Evan being in third after teh short is a good thing. he gets hungry/angry and kicks booty in the LP....
    I agree!

    Also, he did have the highest PCScores; 37.50 to Oda's 36.65. Here's the top three details:

    Pl. Name Nation TSS=TES+ PCS+ SS TR PE CH IN Ded. - StN.
    1 Nobunari ODA JPN 83.35 46.70 36.65 7.55 6.85 7.55 7.35 7.35 0.00
    2 Sergei VORONOV RUS 81.40 46.30 35.10 7.05 6.75 7.20 7.00 7.10 0.00
    3 Evan LYSACEK USA 80.80 43.30 37.50 7.40 6.85 7.75 7.55 7.95 0.00

  7. #127
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post
    Great competition!

    My favorite SP is Evan's. Not a big fan of the firebird music, but he made it work magically. He's really skating to the music, so powerful and beautiful to watch. He improved significantly artistry wise, the ballet training surely paid off. I'm so impressed with his dazzling footwork! His TES is lower than I expected, other than the edge call, his jumps are very clean and smooth. I love the prince look costume too , only complain is that I want to see a little more color than just black. I hope he'll rock the LP!

    Sergei is a pleasant surprise, great jump technique! I hope he can keep improving his music interpretation.

    Oda is getting better and better! He's definitely the front-runner in GP. Even Plushy needs to take notes on this little guy. But I still don't like his SP.
    ITA with your observations re: Evan's program! Fire on ice!! Spot on with the music. Costume is spot on with the program too! His off season hard work has definitely paid off big time!

    Voronov had the best SP I've ever seen him do. Can he repeat in the LP? Consistency has been lacking. We'll see.

    Oda's Chaplin is just right for him. ?? Will he add the quad he talked about or not?

    I do feel badly for Ponsero. So much potential so little consistency.

    Consistency will play a huge role this season - I've heard it said it'll be the difference between the ones that "are" and the ones that "wannbe."

    Tomorrow will be a fight!
    Last edited by merrybari; 10-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.

  8. #128
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27
    My impressions on some men's SPs:

    Oda's SP looked good but not great. His expression in the program was far-fetched, somehow. Nevertheless, He was outperformed by his coach Morozov by the rinkside. What a sight to be remember for a lifetime: Morozov was lowering his body, staring at Oda performing, shaking or dancing from nervousness...

    I love Voronov's SP, very cool, but I still get annoyed by his stiff posture on ice. I think his flexibility is rather poor. Despite that, he has improved a lot in both jumps and spins.

    About the French guy, his elbows were bleeding after he fell on the quad at the very beginning of the program, which is a very dangerous attempt indeed.

    As for Evan's SP, it only left me speechless. I was too scared to say a word after his performance was over. His costume is so distracting and horrible. Good or bad, I can say nothing about his Firebird. I think the judges might see it from an unusual and different angle, otherwise, his PCS would not have been that high.

  9. #129
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    45
    So thrilled for Oda this season. He's my guy!!

  10. #130
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, some said he was out of character with the music. His "Firebird" was soaring with those flapping arms

    Isn't a bird supposed to flap it's wings?
    Maybe Plush should also skate to Firebird so his arms would make more sense than they do in a Tango

    Reminds me of the environmentally-friendly arm-flapping jokes earlier in the year--I remember you said that if properly harnessed, Evan's arm-flapping could power LA for a month.

    If Firebird suits Lysacek's arm-flapping, perhaps Plushenko should skate to Don Quixote--he could be the windmills.

  11. #131
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Reminds me of the environmentally-friendly arm-flapping jokes earlier in the year--I remember you said that if properly harnessed, Evan's arm-flapping could power LA for a month.

    If Firebird suits Lysacek's arm-flapping, perhaps Plushenko should skate to Don Quixote--he could be the windmills.


    I also said Plushy's arm flapping could cause a Tsunami if he skated in a coastal city. Note how his own federation has him landlocked in Perm and Moscow

    But seniorita is being kind to Evan, so I will admit Plushy looked sensational to me last weekend.

    And perhaps she also noted Evan had the highest marks for choreo and music interpretation.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-30-2009 at 12:27 PM.

  12. #132
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    And perhaps she also noted Evan had the highest marks for choreo and music interpretation.
    Which is probably a bigger mistake than giving Plushenko the highest mark for music interpretation.

    Seriously judges, shower guys like Lysacek and Plushenko with monster marks in Performance / Execution, that is where they really shine - but stop trying to tell us that they are artistic or especially musical.

    Watched Ponsero's fall. That was scary. I doubt that he will ever put everything together, and that's a big big shame. So much talent. The speed, the musicality, the sharpness of the movements, without ever looking frantic. He could have been up there with greats like Browning, Yagudin, Lambiel etc. He is a tragedy personified. I sincerely doubt that the French Federation will give him another chance, but should perhaps, Amodio is probably just as inconsistent as the lot of them, Préaubert is slightly more consistent, but will never ever break the 70 points mark on PCS, and while that bugs me from an athletic and rational standpoint, it is actually correct.

  13. #133
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    ... Nevertheless, He was outperformed by his coach Morozov by the rinkside. What a sight to be remember for a lifetime: Morozov was lowering his body, staring at Oda performing, shaking or dancing from nervousness....
    I love that; he gets so emotional about the performances of his students.

    If Oda can hold it together in the LP (and I think he will), he's the frontrunner of the season for me. I hope he gets the quad done this time, though I'm not sure he will need it to win.

  14. #134
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    791
    geez, i somehow failed to recognize any of the quad attempts of the top guys in my PbP. No wonder I was having a hard time identifying some of the jumps, it's like I had forgotten to look out for quads, or even that they existed, yet was thinking "what was that jump? it surely wasn't just a 3t, at this level...). Maybe more sleep will help next time...

  15. #135
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    Oda's Chaplin is just right for him. ?? Will he add the quad he talked about or not?
    Nobunari doesn't need quads to win this competition. If he lands all his triples the way he did in Paris, he'll have it.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •