Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance 8:05 AM Eastern Time Saturday

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    K/N got Silver and F/S Bronze. F/S came in 2nd in the FD but 3rd overall.
    Thanks!
    Am I the only one who thinks that Fede & Massi were robbed? Haven't seen the CDs but IMO they were clearly better than Jana & Sergei in both the OD and the FD. What happened to them btw? Russian folk for the OD and the FD? They used to be so much better than this! Both programs were empty and uninteresting, I didn't even want to watchtheir FD until the end...
    Faeilla & Scali however They were fast, dramatic, smooth-a pleasure to watch, costumes were great and the OD was really original. definitely deserved the silver here!
    Tanith & Ben, they were in a class of their own! The OD was by far the best I've seen so far! Eastern european folk yet different from the lot, great costumes, they carried the mood throughout the performance with speed, effortless steps, interesting & beautiful lifts...just perfect
    And the FD I'm speechless... beautiful costumes, everything was perfectly timed to the music, so much flow and ease, nothing looked laboured, outstanding lifts... I love them so much!
    OK, enough gushing...
    But still

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I really did not like F&S last year. This year I found them to be a refreshing surprise. I enjoyed all of their programs. Although Fede's open mouth at all times does bug me.

Found Tanith and Ben to be a work in progress. Things did not flow at times, but I think this FD has loads of potential.

C&Z- I really love Madison, but Greg just fades into the background and you don't notice him. It was really pronounced for me in the OD- he just wasn't there at all. I thought his presence in the FD was better but they really need to work on that.

The Chinese team who skated to Cats- I was expecting the absolute worst in voidy-void-voids when they skated but I thought it really could have been worse!

Custom Title
    Pretty nice FD from B/A. Definitiely much better than Tosca, while you can see that program was a stepping stone for this one. A lot of roughnees in this though, glad it didn't score too high in this incarnation. If they can smooth it out, and avoid having it become to "pose-y", I think this will be an interesting dance. Not sure how crowd-pleasing the music will be.. but they can pull it off if they skate with authority and smoothness. A good challenge for them, this may be the the first B/A program I halfway like...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    B&A-I really like the photo-pose lift in the last part of the program that looks like a heart-Linichuk does that kind of thing so well.

The picture here:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Since F&S beat K&N in the FD, the question you'd have is, were they underscored in either the CD or OD (or were K&N overscored there).

F&S got about a point less than K&N in the CD, all in PCS. (their TES was virtually tied) OTOH, I thought K&N had a more waltzy feel and more speed than F&S, so I would have probably graded the CD about as it was. The feed wasn't well enough synched for me to tell you about their timing.

For the OD, F&S did a nice OD that was a lot like their 2006/2007 OD-a regional tarantella. That may not have helped them in the PCS department, because ice dance panels often are unimpressed by reused, repurposed programs. Also F&S only got level2 on their lift. K&N got level 4 (and just aced the lift). Their other levels were the same. So for the lift, F&S got 4.0 and K&N got 5.8, and that was the difference. This is obviously something F&S can fix.

The two teams were very close in all 3 segments, so I don't think there is a huge case for a 'wuzrobbed'. Plus Faiella's dress in the CD was dreadful and not waltzy (IMO only of course). And the FD dress made her look 45 years old with bad hair and makeup, and the sleeves torn off her blouse, truly ice dance sins. Granted, they are immigrants in the FD, so perhaps bad dress is required for the lady.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Faiella looks like Anna Magnani! Ergo, I'm on their side.

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    I know I'm a bit obsessed but ok, here we are. I found who is a designer of all K/N costumes for the past two years. It's a very famous, quite old Russian fashion designer who makes huge accent on Russian theme and volumous shapes. Here is his oficcial website. It's in Russian but you can see his photo on that page. http://zaitsev.info/
    Also I got to know that not all Russians are happy with K/N outfits and some think thay have to change them. I personally hated their last year OD costumes as well!
    I just think that with normal costumes even the programs they have these season would look better. Although they just don't impress me so far. Why it has too be soo similar for OD and FD? Odd.. Well, I have know idea how to make them change those costumes because it's apparently consedered too be a big deal to use outfits by Zaitcev. Like Cavalli for Costner I suppose. But there is a difference!

Custom Title

Ben's Wild Hair

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post

ETA - Ben's hair scares me.
    Delurking to comment with a laugh because I immediately thought of Andrei Bukin (1988 Olympic champion). In the early 90s he and partner Natalia Bestimianova performed a dark show program depicting Rasputin - the wild haired notorious Russian mystic in the court of Nicholas II. In designing B&A's program, Linichuk would surely have remembered the program when constructing this dance which is based on a medieval poem and explains Ben's costume. Wild hair aside, Ben is not portraying Rasputin in this dance. Besides Ben is much handsomer and a super nice guy.

character or not, it still scares me

Custom Title
    Both of K/N's programs look to me like nothing more than exercises intended to display her flexibility. There's not much dancing going on in either the OD or the FD.

They were a novelty in their early years, but now their shtick has taken over to such an extent that their dancing hasn't improved. At this point, I find Rubleva/Shefer far more enjoyable.

I would like to have seen Faiella/Scali in second place. But with 4 judges from former SSRs on the panel (UZB, RUS, KAZ, UKR), that was not going to happen.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Delurking to comment with a laugh because I immediately thought of Andrei Bukin (1988 Olympic champion). In the early 90s he and partner Natalia Bestimianova performed a dark show program depicting Rasputin - the wild haired notorious Russian mystic in the court of Nicholas II.
    I remember that one too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I watched some ice-dance I know nothing about ice-dance, but I still want to give my five cents!

I think the new coaches made Belbin a better skater. This new program is miles better than last year's Tosca, which I loathed with passion.

But - I don't think it's the right choice for an Olympic year. They look good, the skating is fluid, I love their lifts so much more than D/W's and V/M's. It's just that in a non-Olympic year, this would have been a good program for them, branching out, going dramatic. But I think they should have done something more upbeat this year, something that suits their personalities better.

We already got one top ice-dance team that does fluid, lyrical and weepy skating to dramatic-lyrical music best - Virtue/Moir. I don't know, they should have done something voidy, something like e.g. the Circus program P/B had last year. She is so beautiful, in a bright happy way, he looks like a guy everyone would like to hang out with and have fun. Maybe their coaches got the couples mixed up. Those two are a perky Canadian lass with her hot Latino partner, not some uber-dramatic Russian lion and his temperamental lady. Sigh.
    ITA. I like this program from B/A better than last year, but I'm still not crazy about it. I have liked their od's better in the past so I thought to myself, why do I like those and not their free's? I think it's because they are Tanith and Ben in their original dances. They show who they are in their od's but not their free dances. I thought this performance seemed a little rough around the edges, and I thought the first part/step sequence seemed exceptionally slow.

Anyone notice how they are in white for their cd and od? I don't mind when the girl is in white, and the guy in white top and black pants but all white is not a good look. And Ben's top in the free? He looked like he was wearing a hoody. I'd take V/M's all black over all white any day.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Both of K/N's programs look to me like nothing more than exercises intended to display her flexibility. There's not much dancing going on in either the OD or the FD.

They were a novelty in their early years, but now their shtick has taken over to such an extent that their dancing hasn't improved. At this point, I find Rubleva/Shefer far more enjoyable.

I would like to have seen Faiella/Scali in second place. But with 4 judges from former SSRs on the panel (UZB, RUS, KAZ, UKR), that was not going to happen.

I am with you, quite tired by the "Cirque du soleil" type of routines Koh / Nov put on. If you take the lifts out, nothing much is left. And those are tricks, not dancing,

Faiella and Scali's long program was smooth, flowing, pleasant. Their music is beautiful, I would have had them ahead of the russians by a wider margin in the FD.
    Last edited by herios; 10-31-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Plus Faiella's dress in the CD was dreadful and not waltzy (IMO only of course). And the FD dress made her look 45 years old with bad hair and makeup, and the sleeves torn off her blouse, truly ice dance sins. Granted, they are immigrants in the FD, so perhaps bad dress is required for the lady.
    After reading your description of the Faiella's dress, I started to wonder if we were talking about the same dress because I thought it looked great. I thought she had the best dress in the competition. I agree about the makeup though. It looks like they used up an entire tube of mascara on her eyes!

I usually enjoy F/S FD and this one is probably one of their best. They have really good music choices in both their OD and FD.

As for Belbin and Agosto, I agree with what someone else said earlier about Tanith needing a new dress which will go with the music. I enjoyed their FD season as much as I liked their Chopin program.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Faiella's dress in the CD was dreadful and not waltzy (IMO only of course). And the FD dress made her look 45 years old with bad hair and makeup, and the sleeves torn off her blouse, truly ice dance sins. Granted, they are immigrants in the FD, so perhaps bad dress is required for the lady.
    That's because the CD costume is a multipurpose dress, which she also wore for the Finnstep at Euros. It was ugly then, too. The FD dress is fine IMO, except I would like for it to have sleeves.

Custom Title
    Just gonna be blunt-- If B/A want to beat D/W or V/M, they're gonna have to step up their difficulty, artistry/interpretation, and flow.

This program-- yawn. Been there seen it done that, not that impressive after seeing V/M's Mahler and D/W's Phantom (even if I'm completely sick of that music). And they need to do their twizzles faster...they also always seem to do them right at the beginning of their FD, which to me, is a copout.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast