Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time

enlight78

Medalist
Protocols up: Downgraded on the Triple Flip and the Double Loop for Lysacek.

Interesting, so Oda and Lysacek both had 7 Triples, but Lysacek 2 Triple Axels - and he still didn't make it.

Well oda jumps are a lot better than evans ; higher ; lighter; and cleaner with more flow ; his goe would have to be better or it would be a crime

janetfan

Match Penalty
And only -0.18 on the GOE with two URs in the combination? Wow. I get the feeling Evan is getting some help from the judges based on last season; I wonder how long that will last.

Unfortunately it will last until there is a new WC. Same for Plush - he will get favors until there is a new OC.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Am I reading the protocols correctly Evan got a level 2 on his footwork.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I meant that on top of the rather generous PCS. I don't think it's a conspiracy, but it is the World Champion bonus.
You remember who you are talking too? Evan's complete lack of musical interpretation (and unfortunately this new long is no different here) should never elevate him over 75 points on PCS. Evan looks like Brian would look like if Brian started to change himself and his skating into a more "classical" "COP-friendly" style.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
IMO I did not think that Evan's PC's were out of range at all. Just saying.....

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You remember who you are talking too? Evan's complete lack of musical interpretation (and unfortunately this new long is no different here) should never elevate him over 75 points on PCS. Evan looks like Brian would look like if Brian started to change himself and his skating into a more "classical" "COP-friendly" style.
Well, there would be no point in writing it in response to a fan of Evan's :biggrin:. The thing is, it seems to be getting rewarded, and that's depressing. Evan Lysacek would be much more fun to watch if he skated to music that plays to his strengths, but basically he's being told that he doesn't need to do that because his interpretation of warhorses (which consists of skating the same program regardless of the music) is excellent :rolleye:.

OT, I don't think Brian is really suited to this system, at least in its current version; there are things he does well that aren't properly rewarded, and the emphasis these days is placed on things that are not necessarily his strong suit.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
Well, there would be no point in writing it in response to a fan of Evan's :biggrin:. The thing is, it seems to be getting rewarded, and that's depressing. Evan Lysacek would be much more fun to watch if he skated to music that plays to his strengths, but basically he's being told that he doesn't need to do that because his interpretation of warhorses (which consists of skating the same program regardless of the music) is excellent :rolleye:.

OT, I don't think Brian is really suited to this system, at least in its current version; there are things he does well that aren't properly rewarded, and the emphasis these days is placed on things that are not necessarily his strong suit.

hip thrusting lol

Buttercup

Record Breaker
hip thrusting lol
No - normally consistent quads and quad combinations, a lovely flip sadly prone to edge calls, showmanship, excellent posture, and fast, precise footwork. Quads, I think, are currently undervalued; the emphasis on edge calls has really hurt him, as the (f)lip was probably his most consistent jump; and step sequences require mostly lots of bobbing back and forth; as I see it, Brian's refusal to capitulate is like Stephane's spin rebellion a few years ago - visually appealing, but strategically ill-advised.
in my oppinon Brian get just as high pcs as evan ; compared to what they actually do; the only thing that hurts brian is consistancy and scratchy landings; he won everything in 07 remember
2007 was pretty much a different version of the current system: the crackdown on jump technique had not yet begun, and there were some other differences. I agree Brian's inconsistency has been the biggest issue, especially in the LP, and I hope at some point this season he'll get it right and be rewarded for it - preferably in Vancouver :).

I have a theory about what will happen in Vancouver: it won't necessarily be the current frontrunners. I think one of the guys will pretty much go into the zone and skate two perfect, as good as he can be performances like Jeff Buttle at 2008 Worlds.

All of this post is not really related to the men's LP at CoC :biggrin:.

janetfan

Match Penalty
No - normally consistent quads and quad combinations, a lovely flip sadly prone to edge calls, showmanship, excellent posture, and fast, precise footwork. Quads, I think, are currently undervalued; the emphasis on edge calls has really hurt him, as the (f)lip was probably his most consistent jump; and step sequences require mostly lots of bobbing back and forth; as I see it, Brian's refusal to capitulate is like Stephane's spin rebellion a few years ago - visually appealing, but strategically ill-advised.

2007 was pretty much a different version of the current system: the crackdown on jump technique had not yet begun, and there were some other differences. I agree Brian's inconsistency has been the biggest issue, especially in the LP, and I hope at some point this season he'll get it right and be rewarded for it - preferably in Vancouver :).

I have a theory about what will happen in Vancouver: it won't necessarily be the current frontrunners. I think one of the guys will pretty much go into the zone and skate two perfect, as good as he can be performances like Jeff Buttle at 2008 Worlds.

All of this post is not really related to the men's LP at CoC :biggrin:.

Still a good post. And consistency is what hurts Brian because when he is sharp and clean not many can beat him.

enlight78

Medalist
Does anyone one believe this performance will help Serj in his olympics hopes even if he didn't beat Evan ; or will he really need a strong performance at euros

Medusa

Record Breaker
Does anyone one believe this performance will help Serj in his olympics hopes even if he didn't beat Evan ; or will he really need a strong performance at euros
Depends on what Borudulin does at NHK. If he keeps it up and is clean - even if he doesn't medal (which is unlikely considering the field) - it could get critical for Voronov. He has yet to prove that he can skate two halfway clean program outside of Russian Nationals.

katha

On the Ice
Congratulations to the medalists! :clap: Has Voronov won a GP medal before? He seemed to have imploded here a bit at the end, but surely his SP showing was spectacular! :)

Just watched the first two, loved both Oda's and Lysacek's programs, it's great to see that choreography that really suits a skater's style can still be done. That said, the TES of both men aren't surprising IMO. Sure, Oda popped the axel, but all his other jumps were picture perfect. Lysacek OTOH wasn't all that clean IMO, the flip combo was underrotated, even I could see that, and he wobbled on two or three of his other jumps. Nothing major, but things like that will add up and get your score down. So I wouldn't say that flawed Oda beat clean Lysacek. Both had obvious flaws IMO. Still, great first showing for Evan. And the crowd was just great, super enthusiastic for everyone. :)

wonderland

Rinkside
I love this crowd. They are so supportive and engaged. They applaud everything. They applaud all the jumps, whether landed or not, popped or stepped out of. They applaud all the good spin positions. But maybe they shouldn't be so eager to clap along all the fast footwork sections, especially if they can't keep beat. :p

They are polite and supportive like the Japanese & Korean audiences. But in addition, they seem to be more light-hearted and warm, they laugh at everything, the little flower girls laden down with gifts, unguarded moments of the audience doing silly things (like one woman petting another woman's hair like a cat). :laugh: It's a great audience.

Vivid description, and sharp observation! You must be a reporter, I guess;).
Generally Chinese audience are fairly friendly, but when it comes to ball games, they will surely react differently as host country. The visiting teams from other countries will not only fight against the host team but also against the whole Chinese audience. You will be booed whenever you are going for a key point. For them, nothing but victory is of great importance to the nation. You see what I mean? Actually, I don't appreciate such narrow national complex.

life684

Final Flight
Vivid description, and sharp observation! You must be a reporter, I guess;).
Generally Chinese audience are fairly friendly, but when it comes to ball games, they will surely react differently as host country. The visiting teams from other countries will not only fight against the host team but also against the whole Chinese audience. You will be booed whenever you are going for a key point. For them, nothing but victory is of great importance to the nation. You see what I mean? Actually, I don't appreciate such narrow national complex.

Unfortunately that is what i think when i watch events in north america, especially USA. I could not understand the crowd behavior at this years Us open tennis, the crowd was very hostile against players from outside US when they were playing americans. commentators are even more silly by commenting comments like welcome to New York (as if that is not a big deal)