Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time

Medusa

Record Breaker
I hated Lysacek's program. His LPs for the past 3 years have basically been the exact same boring thing, just set to different music. The judges gave him slightly higher PCS than Oda's rather entertaining program too. Meh.
Finally something we both can agree on. Seriously, I admire the man's work ethic, his performance ability, his determination, his consistency - but those programs? :scowl:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker

bekalc

Record Breaker
Oda popped one 3A but otherwise was pretty clean. Evan was far from his best and the fact tha the score was relatively close is a good sign for Evan and a bad one for Oda.

I don't see it that way at all. First of all Evan is the World champion and the one with the reputation, so the fact that Oda's PCS were so close to Evan's is a really good sign for Team Oda.

Second yes Evan had mistakes, but Oda had a pretty huge mistake himself and won by about 5 points in the long program. That's not a good sign for Evan at all. Evan needed the PCS gap, because Oda is guaranteed to get high GOE marks.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't see it that way at all. First of all Evan is the World champion and the one with the reputation, so the fact that Oda's PCS were so close to Evan's is a really good sign for Team Oda.

Second yes Evan had mistakes, but Oda had a pretty huge mistake himself and won by about 5 points in the long program. That's not a good sign for Evan at all. Evan needed the PCS gap, because Oda is guaranteed to get high GOE marks.

Someone noted earlier than Oda turned his 3A into a single but later turned a double into a triple that became a 3x3 combo.

I heard Evan got a level 2 as opposed to his typical level 4 on his footwork, and had UR on his 3x3 jump downgraded. He also had several sloppy landing on other jumps.

I gues I am saying there seems to be this idea floating around that Evan skated very well today. He did not and did not deserve to win. Too many mistakes.
Oda had one mistake and was able to get some of it back.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I heard Evan got a level 2 as opposed to his typical level 4 on his footwork, and had UR on his 3x3 jump downgraded. He also had several sloppy landing on other jumps.
Nobody gets a typical level 4 on footwork, I think level four has been given not more than 10 times among single skaters since the implementation of COP. Among those who got level 4 is Evan, I think one or twice (others include Verner, Buttle, Kostner, Takahashi).

bekalc

Record Breaker
Someone noted earlier than Oda turned his 3A into a single but later turned a double into a triple that became a 3x3 combo.

Yes, but a 3toe is nowhere near points wise to a triple axel. Oda got positive goe for his 3/3/2 but he would have gotten it for his triple axel and his 3/2/2. So Oda probably lost around 5 points due to screwing up his 3axel. And I think 5 points is conservative. Because it's not including GOE lost, and also not factoring into account that his PCS may have been a bit higher without the highly visible error.

And Evan rarely gets credit for level 4 footwork, that's hardly a given.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Nobody gets a typical level 4 on footwork, I think level four has been given not more than 10 times among single skaters since the implementation of COP. Among those who got level 4 is Evan, I think one or twice (others include Verner, Buttle, Kostner, Takahashi).

Thanks for the info. But would it be safe to say Evan usually does not get a level 2 either?

I thought parts of his skating and steps looked very weird today. Hard to describe it, but almost like having an "out of body experience," except I am not sure if it was Evan having it or people watching him :p
The SP was much more of Evan being Evan in a better way. The choreo on the LP looked very strange.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The SP was much more of Evan being Evan in a better way. The choreo on the LP looked very strange.

probably because he's using Nichols again as opposed to TAT's stuff last year, as well as it seems he's trying something new choreography wise (in that it's not CARMEN set to TOSCA or GERSHWIN :laugh: ) for one thing there's a slow section...

and he has a more fluid look to his wrist/hand... which is nice, but on Evan it's also a 'hmmm where'd that come from'

and I just chalk the flapping up to the dude has overly long arms so even a simple wave looks like a bird taking off. :laugh:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
janetfan, This thread is a good place to check that stuff out - and give credit to poorScorer, who figured it all out for us. Last season, Evan Lysacek got Level 3 or 4 on 13/16 step sequences in his programs.

bekalc

Record Breaker
If Evan had gotten level 3 the difference would have been only really a point. He lost about 5 points due to his flip. Oda lost 4.95 points due to his triple axel issues (counting everything) but it's not also counting that he normally gets high GOE on that jump as well.

Nobunari won the long by almost 5 points. It would have been closer if both were clean with high levels, but Oda still would have won the long.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
I liked Evan's LP much more than I thought I would. The arm flailing has become a bit more balletic, IMO. Two black costumes, both with foofy stuff- I wanted to trim his SP costume so bad!

I love, love, love Oda's LP, well and his SP too. I showed it to my Mrs and even she, who does not like skating, thought he was totally charming. I loved that he popped the axel but immediately came back and did the combination. Way to go!

Kevin Reynolds- I just can't take you seriously. You look 12 and that hair!

I always want Ponsero to do better. :( He's got so much going for him, I wish he could skate clean.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
You're saying you didn't see any difference between the programs choreo'd by TAT (last year) and the ones done by Lori Nichol?

The layout of Evan's technical elements is exactly the same and he is doing the exact same transitional moves into his jumps.

There are some small choreographic differences, but the way Evan presents himself and interprets the music has also been the exact same 3 years in a row now.

The music doesn't really matter to him at all. Tosca, Rhapsody in Blue, Scheherazade...completely different and yet if you watch his performances with the music off the only significant difference is the costumes.

life684

Final Flight

Plushy at Olympics got Level 4 in his circular foot sequence in both SP and LP

wonderland

Rinkside
And weren't Russian figure skating fans chanting "fall fall fall" to Sasha Cohen at the Moscow worlds in 2005?

I won't accept your version unless I were at the site in 2005 witnessing Russian fans chanting. The reason is very simple: I video-taped the 2005 Moscow Worlds live at home, and the tape is still lying on the bookshelf in my house today, in which the Russian audience behaved rather friendly to the skaters from different countries, and Sasha was no exception. What amazed me most at that time was the Russian crowd were very open-minded, supportive, and enthusiastic with the top skaters, such as Johnny, stephane and Brian.

My thoughts on some men's LPs:

Oda's Interpretation of the Chaplin piece is overdramatic, and he acted like a fool on ice instead of an amusing entertainer.

Evan 's LP is too boring. Why didn't he choose some light music to skate to?Always the same dark image:disapp:.

Voronov's skating is always unattrative and rather slow to me. Why couldn't he improve his skating skills under such great coach? The music is very good, and if Plushenko picked it for his Olympic LP, he would definitely present another masterpiece to the world, I believe.:)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Of course Evan did not deserve to win, even if he was clean I don't think he should have won, and he was not clean. I do really, really love the program though. He seems to feel the music completely and really perform it all around, not just at the end. Great choice.