Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time

viv

On the Ice
You remember who you are talking too? Evan's complete lack of musical interpretation (and unfortunately this new long is no different here) should never elevate him over 75 points on PCS. Evan looks like Brian would look like if Brian started to change himself and his skating into a more "classical" "COP-friendly" style.

:rofl:

But I do think Evan has more musical interpretation than Brian ever could get. A bit at least.

newvie

Rinkside
I loved Oda's program :love: It was not clean, but it didn't matter, b/c even his mistake looked natural like it was a part of his presentation. :rock:
Team Japan is really strong!

However, I didn't appreciate Lysacek's perf very much... For sure, he's a great skater, but his jumps were unstable and his music interpretation was a bit... dull. I was not touched at all. I couldn't help comparing his performance to that of Yuna at the world championship.

Anyway, contgrats to all the medalists and skaters who did their best!

ae9177

On the Ice
I love Evan's Scheherazade :love: :love: :love: (which is another piece of music that I hate, but he pulled it off beautifully), very refreshing and delightful to watch. The Chinese audience are so lovely! :clap:

Great job Evan and Nobu! Cup of China men's competition is so far the best among the 3 GPs.

Last edited:
Generally Chinese audience are fairly friendly, but when it comes to ball games, they will surely react differently as host country. The visiting teams from other countries will not only fight against the host team but also against the whole Chinese audience. You will be booed whenever you are going for a key point. For them, nothing but victory is of great importance to the nation. You see what I mean? Actually, I don't appreciate such narrow national complex.
Sounds just like Yankee fans. (Boo, Phillies!!)

ETA: IOW - to those international posters who accuse Americans of arrogance toward other countries' athletes -- Americans are passionate about their teams and can be just as arrogant toward other American teams. There are legendary rivalries in all our sports at every level (from high school or even younger to professional). Please don't take it as xenophobia. We are a nation of immigrants.

Last edited:

wonderland

Rinkside
Unfortunately that is what i think when i watch events in north america, especially USA. I could not understand the crowd behavior at this years Us open tennis, the crowd was very hostile against players from outside US when they were playing americans. commentators are even more silly by commenting comments like welcome to New York (as if that is not a big deal)

I think Americans are too proud, or in a sense, too arrogant people in the world. They only adore their own players and sportsmen. Let's take Agassi for example (I don't know whether his name is spelt right): he recently admitted having taken drugs before retirement in his autobiography, and to my great surprise, even Federer was defending for this tennis legend, simply because he is American and he needs to be treated differently? Why did the President of Olympic Committee react so calmly to such sensational news? I can't figure out why.

I hope American visitors won't take offense at my words here, because I'm only speaking my mind.

viv

On the Ice
I think Americans are too proud, or in a sense, too arrogant people in the world. They only adore their own players and sportsmen. Let's take Agassi for example (I don't know whether his name is spelt right): he recently admitted having taken drugs before retirement in his autobiography, and to my great surprise, even Federer was defending for this tennis legend, simply because he is American and he needs to be treated differently? Why did the President of Olympic Committee react so calmly to such sensational news? I can't figure out why.

I hope American visitors won't take offense at my words here, because I'm only speaking my mind.

In terms of legal action, the incident was minor and took place too long ago to be persecuted. In terms of WADA, who is responsible for performancenhancing drugs in sport, it is irrelevant because he retired since, because WADA didn't even exist when the incident happened and because crystal meth wasn't considered to be performance-enhancing. This was yesterday in a Germen newspaper, don't remember if it was FAZ or Sueddeutsche Zeitung. The man is not an idiot, he wouldn't say something what could stir up any legal problems for him.
To make that clear: I' not American and have complained about arrogance of American fans before, but in this case it's simply not true. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Americans are too proud, or in a sense, too arrogant people in the world. They only adore their own players and sportsmen.

Wow way to make a generalized statement. Hyperbole perhaps? I'm a huge fan of several non American skaters past and present. How do I fit in your American model? (it also seems a little unreasonable more like "we're better fans than you")

Let's take Agassi for example (I don't know whether his name is spelt right): he recently admitted having taken drugs before retirement in his autobiography, and to my great surprise, even Federer was defending for this tennis legend, simply because he is American and he needs to be treated differently? Why did the President of Olympic Committee react so calmly to such sensational news? I can't figure out why.

As I understand it -I've not read Agassi's book OR seen his interviews... he used drugs way back when, not now? what do you want them to do go back and time and yank him out of every competition he ever did? or are they going to strip him of the titles now? what is that going to do?

and really it seems interesting that this arguement wasn't made about an American singer/superstar that is loved the world over who was an alleged child molester... shoot some countries said Americans didn't appreciate him enough. Double standard if you ask me. Athletes can't do wrong, but singers certainly can (drugs are a staple to their way of life, as well as other illegal activities... no matter which country they're from). How dare athletes be human.

and no I'm not a fan, per se, of Agassi. Grew up knowing he was a huge champ and my dad loved to watch the man play the game.

ETA back on topic - does anyone have a link for Evan's LP as I've not seen it yet.

Last edited:

wonderland

Rinkside
Wow way to make a generalized statement. Hyperbole perhaps? I'm a huge fan of several non American skaters past and present. How do I fit in your American model? (it also seems a little unreasonable more like "we're better fans than you")

As I understand it -I've not read Agassi's book OR seen his interviews... he used drugs way back when, not now? what do you want them to do go back and time and yank him out of every competition he ever did? or are they going to strip him of the titles now? what is that going to do?

and really it seems interesting that this arguement wasn't made about an American singer/superstar that is loved the world over who was an alleged child molester... shoot some countries said Americans didn't appreciate him enough. Double standard if you ask me. Athletes can't do wrong, but singers certainly can (drugs are a staple to their way of life, as well as other illegal activities... no matter which country they're from). How dare athletes be human. QUOTE]

I know it 's a sweeping generalization, but it's the way I feel. That's all.

I'm not saying Agassi should be stripped of the titles he once won, but his action should be condemned. You do think it's wrong to go back to the past for the investigation. How old is he now? Over seventy years old?

About the singer you mentioned, I know it's M. Jackson. Unfortunately, he's not an athlete. I can't see any connection between these two men. I think you'd better consult the Olympic Committee about the rules of conduct a professional sportsman should observe.

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight

He only said it to create hype around his book and he would never admit using performance enhancing drug (that is if he used them).

and really it seems interesting that this arguement wasn't made about an American singer/superstar that is loved the world over who was an alleged child molester... shoot some countries said Americans didn't appreciate him enough. Double standard if you ask me. Athletes can't do wrong, but singers certainly can (drugs are a staple to their way of life, as well as other illegal activities... no matter which country they're from). How dare athletes be human.

i know it is totally out of topic, but child molesters whomever they are singer or director..., Roman or French should be severely punished. You have no wright to cause damage to young mind, who is just learning his/her way in this world and have no idea what is happening. Drugs can never be compared with molestation.

ETA back on topic - does anyone have a link for Evan's LP as I've not seen it yet.

Lysacek Lp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRy3W18q6Ds

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Let's take Agassi for example (I don't know whether his name is spelt right): he recently admitted having taken drugs before retirement in his autobiography, and to my great surprise, even Federer was defending for this tennis legend, simply because he is American and he needs to be treated differently? Why did the President of Olympic Committee react so calmly to such sensational news? I can't figure out why.

No offense taken because Americans believe in freedom of speech.
And without having read into the Agassi affair I would say:

1. this happened many years ago when he was very young.........

2. He came out and admitted it, (rather than being caught)

3. He leads a very good life and has done many good deeds with the the fame and wealth he acquired - including starting a very successful school for underpriviliged children.

4. His wife Steffi is the greatest Lady player I ever saw :love: (sorry, off point :) )

5. AFAIK this is being investigated.

Am curious, where do you come from?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Drugs can never be compared with molestation.

my point is the drugs are getting more back lash than child molestation (and while we're at it MJ isn't the only one, Roman Polanski just got extradicted not too long ago for something that happened well in the past :rock: finally! and there's a huge backlash in the media abroad at in hollywood) It IS a double standard. Something like that gets swept under a rug. An athlete who freely admitted a meth habit is being investigated and prosecuted by the same media/people that uplift the others because they "gave to the world their work".

thanks

ETA - I really like the first part of the slow section (before all of the jumps) it has a lot of movement and emotion that Evan doesn't normally go into... yes it's a rest period (and a short one at that, way to go for conditioning!) but I wish he'd have a little bit more of that... the transitions into the jumps after seem so basic...

And it makes me sad that my favorite jump - the triple axel - does not look good on Evan... granted that's his muscle through it jump... but it just looks so awkward... I never know if he's going to land it. It's more distance than height, too... not as exciting the way he does it... (gosh I sound like a non-fan lol) he's so pretty though.

and the shoulder foofies have to go.

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
No offense taken because Americans believe in freedom of speech.
And without having read into the Agassi affair I would say:

1. this happened many years ago when he was very young.........

2. He came out and admitted it, (rather than being caught)

3. He leads a very good life and has done many good deeds with the the fame and wealth he acquired - including starting a very successful school for underpriviliged children.

4. His wife Steffi is the greatest Lady player I ever saw :love: (sorry, off point :) )

5. AFAIK this is being investigated.

Am curious, where do you come from?

1)he was 27 when he took drugs and not a teenager.

2) Just because it happened so many years ago does not decrease the severity of the incident. Just because he covered it up and beat the system for years will encourage others to do the same. Bring in all the Designer Steroids.

3) by not admitting punishment then he was competing and winning big bucks. further more he was earning lot more through endorsements (effectively taking someone else space and money). He earned a lot more through this method than he paid to charity.

4) Worst Crime is taht he is now trying to sell the story and make money because he lied 12 years ago.

5) Just because he is family man and married to beautiful lady should not hinder in the investigation. he should be punished other wise others will follow in his path.

hope we won't hear the same from Gasquet few years from now

Lightspear

Rinkside
P.S. I loved Carriere's variation on the Tano Flourish. His was like Rippon's Lutz (both hands overhead), but he used his on the 2jump after the triple. :)

I believe he has been doing this jump variations for at least two to three years. Saw it at Junior World's oin 2007.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just because he is family man and married to beautiful lady should not hinder in the investigation. he should be punished other wise others will follow in his path.

most who get caught DOING drugs get treatment not punishment...

and again why does an athlete have to be put to these standards (and not other types of celebrities).. the rolling stones flaunt their drug use and they have how many fans/followers?

life684

Final Flight
most who get caught DOING drugs get treatment not punishment...

and again why does an athlete have to be put to these standards (and not other types of celebrities).. the rolling stones flaunt their drug use and they have how many fans/followers?

Lol, by punishment i meant not sending him to jail. Since he took drugs in 1997, they can't theoretically strip hi of his olympic gold medal from Atlanta(1996). He can removed from tennis hall of fame, exclude them from exhibition event like the one that took place at wimbledon earlier this year.

janetfan

Match Penalty
1)he was 27 when he took drugs and not a teenager.

2) Just because it happened so many years ago does not decrease the severity of the incident. Just because he covered it up and beat the system for years will encourage others to do the same. Bring in all the Designer Steroids.

3) by not admitting punishment then he was competing and winning big bucks. further more he was earning lot more through endorsements (effectively taking someone else space and money). He earned a lot more through this method than he paid to charity.

4) Worst Crime is taht he is now trying to sell the story and make money because he lied 12 years ago.

5) Just because he is family man and married to beautiful lady should not hinder in the investigation. he should be punished other wise others will follow in his path.

hope we won't hear the same from Gasquet few years from now

I have no problem with your conclusion but all of your points seem a little out of touch to me.

If you are talking about legal action then I don't think much will happen.
I did not read his book and don't intend to.

jennylovskt

Medalist

Thanks! I have watched it once without the sound (I will watch it again when I could use sound.) I have noticed some difference in this program from any of his old programs. He uses his hands a lot. Even though they are unnatural, I can see that he is trying so hard. And he is trying to add more slow motions into the programs (I haven't heard the music yet.:)) In that way, I'll say good for him!

... and the shoulder foofies have to go.

I was so wanted to say this at some point that it seems it's Johnny's way to have fluffy stuff on his costumes.:laugh: