Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Go watch a soccer/football match between Manchester City and Manchester United at Old Trafford and then tell me that booing non-home athletes is specifically an American thing. And weren't Russian figure skating fans chanting "fall fall fall" to Sasha Cohen at the Moscow worlds in 2005?
    Maria Butyrskaya's car was bombed. can't remember if they ever figured out why

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    As to Johnny Mac - we are all entitled to our own opinions. Personally I think he was one of the greatest players whoever lived and whenever he appears on court at a Grand Slam event he is warmly received. Fans remember his great talent and passion and seem to have forgiven his bratty behavior.

Are you old enough to have actually watched his career?
    Nope! However, I am a big tennis fan so I have seen enough replays of his "tantrums" so I know that he was hardly a model citizen. Even if you have all the talent in the world, it doesn't excuse you from acting with respect and in a sportsmanlike manor, IMO
    Last edited by i love to skate; 10-31-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Even if you have all the talent in the world, it doesn't excuse you from acting with respect and in sportsmanlike manor, IMO

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Go watch a soccer/football match between Manchester City and Manchester United at Old Trafford and then tell me that booing non-home athletes is specifically an American thing. And weren't Russian figure skating fans chanting "fall fall fall" to Sasha Cohen at the Moscow worlds in 2005?
    OMG! Were they? I have beed there, I can't remember! I was so nervous for Sasha! I wanted her to win dispite all the fuss about Slutskaya. I think she was wonderful...

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Now, come on Janetfan. Sure, there is a Hooligan scene attached to or rather free riding on some parts of the soccer scene in Europe. But just because one or two posters are handing out generalisations like candy you don't need to as well. Most of us over here in the old world, do not perceive Europe as a unified cultural whole like US or North America. There are huge differences between the countries, regarding audiences, fairplay and riots.

But, pray go on. I'm always interested in getting to know new perspectives and perceptions. The study of stereotypes is well worth the trouble. I can't get enough of it
    Fair enough and sorry if my tone was too harsh. A civil discussion is always better because those of us who listen can learn things.

I am very aware of the fan violence in Europe because I have been to games in London, Prague, and Milan. For a typical American the police presense is actually very oppressive both inside and outside of the stadium and for me ruins much of the atmosphere and reason for attending a game.

Did this start with tennis?
    FYI, it is a tradition at the US Open to be loud, and supportive of our players and players we like (Kim Kliisters ). We are aware that this is the opposite of Wimbledon's attitude and atmosphere. It is not an accident that the US Open is the loudest and most colorful of the Tennis Grand Slams. It is also financialy the most successful GS Tennis event. I doubt that it will change anytime soon because fans just love it. I love it and think it may be loud but there is always a certain level of decorum and fairness maintained.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-31-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Rinkside
    I love both Evan's and Nobunari's programmes.
    But I do not understand why judges gave Evan only level2 for his steps.
    It should have been at least level3!
    I admire Evan very much especailly when I watch his spins.
    He is very tall so doing sit spin and keeping that position must be very hard for him but his sit spin is just wonderful and beautiful!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Interesting, so Oda and Lysacek both had 7 Triples, but Lysacek 2 Triple Axels - and he still didn't make it.
    Oda had 8 Triples. After singling out on the 3Axel, he turned his 2Toe in the next combination jump into a 3Toe. Smart man.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, but:

I hated Lysacek's program. His LPs for the past 3 years have basically been the exact same boring thing, just set to different music. The judges gave him slightly higher PCS than Oda's rather entertaining program too. Meh.

I just saw Oda's LP on Universal sports.. am I the only one think Oda's fly was down ??

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I just saw Oda's LP on Universal sports.. am I the only one think Oda's fly was down ??

Sorry, but I didn't notice

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Oda had 8 Triples. After singling out on the 3Axel, he turned his 2Toe in the next combination jump into a 3Toe. Smart man.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, but:

I hated Lysacek's program. His LPs for the past 3 years have basically been the exact same boring thing, just set to different music. The judges gave him slightly higher PCS than Oda's rather entertaining program too. Meh.
    I have to agree - and although Evan's SP was sort of OK - I thought the LP looked really odd at times.

But to say Oda beat a "clean" Evan today is not right either. Evan didn't fall but he was sloppy on many jumps, had trouble on a combo and probably had a deduction and to top it all off his steps were off and didn't score well.

Oda popped one 3A but otherwise was pretty clean. Evan was far from his best and the fact tha the score was relatively close is a good sign for Evan and a bad one for Oda.

Who is the ballerina that is supposed to be training Evan? Where is she from, the "Ballet Company from Hell?

Finally something we both can agree on. Seriously, I admire the man's work ethic, his performance ability, his determination, his consistency - but those programs?

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I hated Lysacek's program. His LPs for the past 3 years have basically been the exact same boring thing, just set to different music.
    You're saying you didn't see any difference between the programs choreo'd by TAT (last year) and the ones done by Lori Nichol?

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Was not!

http://www.daylife.com/photo/06Dy59b...q=cup+of+china

Oda popped one 3A but otherwise was pretty clean. Evan was far from his best and the fact tha the score was relatively close is a good sign for Evan and a bad one for Oda.
    I don't see it that way at all. First of all Evan is the World champion and the one with the reputation, so the fact that Oda's PCS were so close to Evan's is a really good sign for Team Oda.

Second yes Evan had mistakes, but Oda had a pretty huge mistake himself and won by about 5 points in the long program. That's not a good sign for Evan at all. Evan needed the PCS gap, because Oda is guaranteed to get high GOE marks.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I don't see it that way at all. First of all Evan is the World champion and the one with the reputation, so the fact that Oda's PCS were so close to Evan's is a really good sign for Team Oda.

Second yes Evan had mistakes, but Oda had a pretty huge mistake himself and won by about 5 points in the long program. That's not a good sign for Evan at all. Evan needed the PCS gap, because Oda is guaranteed to get high GOE marks.
    Someone noted earlier than Oda turned his 3A into a single but later turned a double into a triple that became a 3x3 combo.

I heard Evan got a level 2 as opposed to his typical level 4 on his footwork, and had UR on his 3x3 jump downgraded. He also had several sloppy landing on other jumps.

I gues I am saying there seems to be this idea floating around that Evan skated very well today. He did not and did not deserve to win. Too many mistakes.
    Oda had one mistake and was able to get some of it back.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-31-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I heard Evan got a level 2 as opposed to his typical level 4 on his footwork, and had UR on his 3x3 jump downgraded. He also had several sloppy landing on other jumps.
    Nobody gets a typical level 4 on footwork, I think level four has been given not more than 10 times among single skaters since the implementation of COP. Among those who got level 4 is Evan, I think one or twice (others include Verner, Buttle, Kostner, Takahashi).

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast