Japan Times: JSF chief wants meeting with Mao | Golden Skate

Japan Times: JSF chief wants meeting with Mao

Tigger

Final Flight
We all sensed it was coming. Oh to be a bug on the wall at *that* meeting.

However, I think calling this meeting "interesting", is one of the biggest understatements I've ever seen posted here on GS. ;)

Bennett

Record Breaker
My guess of the likely outcome is that Mao will stay with TAT, the same programs, and the same jumping layout with a possible addition of another technical coach, as she sounded determined and confident at the press conference.

I wonder if it is only Ms. Hashimoto who would meet Mao. From Mao's team, what about TAT? After all, Ms. Hashimoto was a speed skater. If they want any substantial changes, they certainly need FS people to talk with her and TAT. An addition of a tech coach would not happen without their help, either. Ms. Hashimoto could have general discussions with Mao about what it means to be an Olympian etc, but she would not be helpful in making any tangible advice. If she is bringing FS people whom Mao trust, however, the meeting may result in some changes.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sad to say, but I agree with you, Bennett. This is where the lack of a long-term full time coach becomes crucial. I don't sense any coherent strategy of the team Mao since she left Arturian. It may not be possible at this juncture.

I hope the team Mao comes up with a stable, full-time coach once the olys is done.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just can't imagine U.S. officials calling some 'meeting' with a skater about his or her coach-if they have I never heard tell of it.

All of this just puts more negative pressure on Mao imo. It's all very sad. She showed so much promise 4 years ago (when she SHOULD have gone to the Games no thanks to a stupid age rule).

I hope she can pull it all together before the Olympics.

They are negotiating the time/place of the meeting; the official date/time hasn't been announced yet in my knowledge.
They are negotiating a time and place to meet? Is this the United Nations Security Council? Is there also a dispute abiut the shape of the table? :cool:

antmanb

Record Breaker
They are negotiating a time and place to meet? Is this the United Nations Security Council? Is there also a dispute abiut the shape of the table? :cool:

Well the shape of the table will be very important - a rectangular shaped table may make it feel like Mao is under attack and being told what to do whereas a round one might make it feel more like a collaborative approach to find a solution to the early season problems she's been facing :p :laugh:

Ant

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well the shape of the table will be very important - a rectangular shaped table may make it feel like Mao is under attack and being told what to do whereas a round one might make it feel more like a collaborative approach to find a solution to the early season problems she's been facing :p :laugh:

Ant

HAHA Good one!! :laugh:
Well i difinitely see intervention coming up to Mao anyway.
Hope she n the teams can find solutions to handle Mao situations.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

Ant

I feel like a 2-part table will reflect the schism of Mao's soul.

Wicked

Final Flight
Why am I imagining this being an intervention, like in substance abuse treatment? Do they have triple axel 12-step programs?

fairly4

Medalist
all i can say is this--- like she doesn't have enough to worry about or enough pressure now she has the japanese federdation head honcho after her,

keep it up and she will be a total utter mess come the olympics. I feel very sorry for her. if they want her to win that badly--they should help her not hurt her.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I hope the Federation does not put even more pressure on her than she already has. I agree that at this rate, she might be a mess mentally by the Olympics. I hope not. I hope they'll be gentle with her and not make her feel defensive or dishonored. I know she does need to talk to someone about the direction she's headed but the head of the Japanese Federation may not be the one she needs to have a talk with at this time.

all i can say is this--- like she doesn't have enough to worry about or enough pressure now she has the japanese federdation head honcho after her,

keep it up and she will be a total utter mess come the olympics. I feel very sorry for her. if they want her to win that badly--they should help her not hurt her.
Fairly4, for once, and I do mean once, I find myself in perfect agreement with you! :agree: