Ladies LP 2:00 AM Eastern Time Saturday | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP 2:00 AM Eastern Time Saturday

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Yikes @ Mirai's LP score. :mad:
I was expecting her to be ranked at least third overall.

So the USA ladies go 5, 6, and 10 in the field of 11.
That just doesn't cut it.... Very disappointing.

Hopefully their next comp goes better than this one!! :thumbsup:

feraina

Record Breaker
Just seemed weird to me, but then again I think Mirai is the USA girl that has been out of the loop recently? Not much international experience? I know reputation judging means a lot.

One final note, I think Kiira Korpi was overmarked in both the SP & FS, most likely due to her looks. I wish the USA had Nicole Bobek back, that is a Nicole Bobek that could land her huge jumps this time around ;) , because she would enchant the judges with her beauty as Kiira does & blow away the field. Looks do matter. :)

I agree that Kiira was overmarked, especially in the FS. She's such a beautiful girl, but both her costumes were awful... But never mind that, she really didn't hit good lines or positions in her LP, it just didn't look fluid. She smiled a lot and tried to sell the program, but I don't know, it just didn't do it for me...

As for Mirai, she got the 4th highest PCS (Joannie, Carolina, Akiko, Mirai, in that order). I do think that that's the right order, and Akiko only got a little more than her, so I don't think relatively speaking her PCS was especially low. Akiko sold her program more than Mirai did hers. Akiko has really good audience connection, and she puts so much of her heart into her programs! I have really missed that, since Michelle and to some extent Sasha. Joannie at Japan Open looked like she was really getting into her programs, too; really she's been improving on that front all season last year, too. But now... she looks preoccupied and distracted by her jumps, I don't know what happened to her. Last year she looked unshakably confident, she's lost that invincible air. I hope she regains it soon.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Akiko by far the best of the ladies tonight. Beautiful LP skated with flair and athleticism, spins were much better tonight. She had a real connection to the music and to the character of Maria. Loved it. Well deserved first place no doubt about. Bravo!!

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Great job by Akiko... the selection for the Japanese entries for the Olympic just got a little bit more interesting.

ks777

Record Breaker
Is it possible for Mirai to fix her underrotations? I am so frustrated with URs!! can someone help her please!!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oops, you're right. I forgot that Kiira got only 8th at TEB. So that's irrelevant. But Mao got 5th not 6th last week not that it's going to matter a lot.
Oh, right - I forgot she moved up after the SP. But I can't really see any scenario in which she makes it, barring a lot of injuries and meltdowns.
I don't think Mao could go to GPF this year, considering her bad performance in both TEB and COR. I really hates the programs only focus on 3axels
Oh, come on. She wasn't great at TEB but it's not her 2nd place finish there that will keep her out of the final.

Nadine

Record Breaker
So, both Mirai and Rachael did pretty badly here, hit with multiple downgrades. So far, Ashley has done the best out of the Americans, so far. Although even Ashley was only credited with 4 clean triples at CoR, and Caroline also with 4 at TEB. Alissa was credited with 3 at CoR. I wonder how many clean triples Rachael and Mirai got.

I hope they post the detailed protocols, soon.

The American ladies are not looking so good so far this season...

Your assessment is right on, feraina. :cry:

If I were the USFSA, I honestly wouldn't know whom to pick, unfortunately.

Mirai, to my naked eye, looked the absolute best out of all the USA ladies thus far (even international ladies). But it looks like the international judges want her to wait her turn.:disapp: If Frank Carroll can fix her UR problems & she stays injury-free, I see her lighting up the world stage in the next few years. What a talent, what a talent!:love::rock:

Actually the same thing can be said about your favorite, Caroline Zhang. :) But Caroline needs to work on her speed & technique. They're both extraordinary & have IT!

I guess whomever skates the best at US Nationals will be put on the Olympic Team, because as it stands now they ALL look on an even keel to me.

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
Congrats to Akiko :clap:
I lost my appetite watching Caro's sweat stain in certain area AGAIN...
Seriously, put a patch or something for the love of god..
Nagasu knocked out of podium.. that I did not expect :no:
Although, lot of her jumps did look ur for me, probably dg in some jumps.. and her spins were bit shaky than usual, lost a lot of speed at the end of the program.. probably stamina issue.
93 was a bit harsh.. I guessed 95-100, it appears to be the judges caught every ur in her jumps.. too bad but can't complain..
Maybe I had my hopes up too high.. I feel blue..

feraina

Record Breaker
You better wash your eyes too, she didn't double her salchow, you are sleepy

Did you look at the protocols? 3T+2S+SEQ as I said.

Her fall on the 2A meant no 2A-2A seq, and the 3T-2S seq really didn't earn her many points with the 20% seq deduction.

Joannie's strategy is a little risky. All her sequences require her to do them really well, otherwise the 20% deduction can really hurt her if she misses the first jump or pops...

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
Mirai, to my naked eye, looked the absolute best out of all the USA ladies thus far (even international ladies). But it looks like the international judges want her to wait her turn.:disapp: If Frank Carroll can fix her UR problems & she stays injury-free, I see her lighting up the world stage in the next few years. What a talent, what a talent!:love::rock:

by this you mean in coc or in general?

feraina

Record Breaker
Actually the same thing can be said about your favorite, Caroline Zhang. :) But Caroline needs to work on her speed & technique. They're both extraordinary & have IT!

Yeah. If UR penalties weren't so great, Mirai would definitely be the top US lady, based on everyone's performances so far. And Caroline should have gotten a medal at TEB, since she skated two clean programs.

But UR's do matter under CoP, and until the rules change, we can't do anything about it.

I think Mirai's in a better position than Caroline. Her UR problems are more severe than Caroline's, but she also has a better coach who might actually be able to help her with it; she also has better fundamentals in terms of speed and skating skills. Until Caroline makes some significant changes to her whole coaching/training situation, I don't see how she can pull herself out of the rut that she seems to be stuck in...

By the way, maybe the tech panel didn't let Mirai get away with any UR's in the LP, but they were pretty lenient with her in the SP. One or both of her triples might have been downgraded. Maybe it has to do with the camera angle, or the tech panel were in a worse mood tonight...

So I'm a little surprised that Rachael got as low a score as she did having been credited with five triples, the most of any US lady so far in the LP. But her non-jump elements have been traditionally weak. She got altogether only .26 GOE for the three spins combined, a level 2 spiral + .40, a level 2 cisl + .1 . That's why she had such low TES, and her lack of skating power/speed and natural presentation skills mean that she also can't rely on her PCS being much help. So Rachael really needs to hit all of her jumps with amazing flow, since that's the strong point of her skating, and the one place she can hope to earn some bonus points. I didn't see that in either of her SP or LP here...

Well, so far, Ashley has a silver. Mirai, Caroline, and Alissa all have 4th. Rachael and Alexe have 5th.

Last edited:

abbykitty

Rinkside
looking at the protocols, Joannie definitely let a lot of points slip with the doubled 3S on the 3T-2S seq, the fall/underrotated 2Ax and no 2Ax-2Ax seq, the wonky 3Lz, and only level 2 on both her spiral sequence and circular step sequence.:frown2:

seemed like she may have been going for 3Lz-3T on the first pass but psyched herself out and ended up just tacking a 2T on her 2nd 3Lz. if not, she completely missed her usual 3 jump combo 3Lz-2T-2L which further explains her lower than usual score.:indiff:

hopefully Joannie will work things out and come back much stronger for Skate Canada!:agree:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm waiting for the last group of men, so have time to comment on your post. :)

I honestly want the best USA Team to be sent to the Olympics, whether that be Alex Gilles, Alissa Czisny, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, or even Sasha Cohen, or whomever.

Right now I'm quite disappointed, I thought Rachael would be the one way back in the summer. Then I saw Caroline Zhang at TEB & she blew me away. Then came Ashley Wagner, who did a good job herself. Finally, tonight at COC the two final girls ~ Rachael & Mirai ~ I thought Mirai was head & shoulders above Rachael & every other lady out there, but alas the judges said "no".

So I don't know. I feel kinda indifferent now. I just wish they all skate their best at US Nationals & may the best two make the Olympic Team. I don't care who they are, as long as they skate their best.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Nadine. Mirai has some real jumping issues. She's been getting tons of downgrades for two seasons now. She changed coaches and hopefully Frank can help her with her technique but until then her jumps are a real mess.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Making the US team for the Olympics is looking very good for Sasha.

feraina

Record Breaker
Making the US team for the Olympics is looking very good for Sasha.

I don't know. I would need to see her skate once under CoP at least. No saying that she wouldn't get hit by downgrades any less hard than the younger Americans.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
I don't know. I would need to see her skate once under CoP at least. No saying that she wouldn't get hit by downgrades any less hard than the younger Americans.

I hope she makes it to SA and then I will have a better idea how she stands.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki rocks my world! She is the only lady I really care about, and I can't believe she won the whole thing! And with the second highest score of the season so far! Of course she was still lowballed on PCS, but that should change now. :rock::rock::rock:

Could they perhaps mention in the Icenetwork article that Suzuki's score would have won Cup of Russia, placed second at TEB.... Her TES was only slightly lower than Kim's at TEB. They make it sound like some mediocre Japanese lady came around and took advantage of a bad day of skating.

Last edited: